Author Topic: Meteor - UPDATE: FF7Voice Depends on This  (Read 2940 times)

Tsetra

• View Profile
Meteor - UPDATE: FF7Voice Depends on This
« on: 2008-08-08 20:30:31 »
Long story short: I extract and decompress an LZS file using Highwind. I then open said file in Meteor. I edit some opcodes and press save. Only Meteor does not save. Why?

I know it can't be a size problem, because I can change single values and still accomplish this. I can delete entire scripts just fine, but it won't let me edit. I can add dialogs in the dialog window to my heart's content, but when it comes to opcodes Meteor says no. This is frustrating beyond belief, as it sometimes saves seemingly at random. It doesn't matter what opcodes I try to use, and even when I know I'm using correct ones I still can't save. Again, the file is decompressed and it's not read-only. The program apparently saves, but when you reopen the file, no saving occurred at all. And this is dealing with opcode modification. I don't know if Meteor is trying to prevent me from causing problems with the engine, but if it is can I disable that? I know for a fact that what I'm doing isn't going to crash anything, because on the occasions I can actually save - and I'm not doing a thing differently - the change fits cleanly in the game.

So nutshell: Meteor refuses to save, and for no legitimate reason.

EDIT:
I know some people who have an answer have read this. The reason I need to fix this is to add dummied dialogs for the FF7Voice project. If I can't, well, they won't be added. So I need to know why Meteor isn't saving my opcode changes.
Also, this might have been better suited for Programming Feedback in hindsight.
« Last Edit: 2008-08-11 05:41:51 by Tsetra »

Vehek

• View Profile
Re: Meteor - UPDATE: FF7Voice Depends on This
« Reply #1 on: 2008-08-13 00:46:17 »
What exactly are you doing after you edit the opcodes?

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-08-13 03:44:29 »
I edit the opcodes to do what I want - such as put in an animation for a character, make a window, then create the message. So let's say I put those into the script. I then save. Press the save button, File > Save, File > Save-As, none of it matters. Everything pauses for a fraction of a second - typical sign that it's saving - and life goes on. In Meteor, the changes still stand. But if I reopen the file or close then open Meteor again, the changes I made are completely gone.
I've looked around the Qhimm Wiki, and I've seen no possible answer for this. At most, I've read something about the headers showing a specific number of dialogs (I don't quite understand it) but I know this isn't the issue because again, I can add dialogs in the actual dialog tab in Meteor. Those will save. Furthermore, I can't even change an existing dialog. So let's say the script says MESSAGE [5A] (or however it's written, I'm not on the computer with Meteor and haven't been in a couple days). I can change that to say MESSAGE [5B] which is an existing dialog, and I still can't save it.
I can manipulate anything else in the file. The encounter rate, the dialogs on the dialog tab, even delete entire scripts. But I can't change opcodes in the scripts seemingly at random.

Hopefully that clarifies any possible confusion.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-08-13 04:24:22 »
I don't know if this will work for you or it you're doing it already, but currently, I have to click on another script after changing the opcodes for it to save.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-08-13 06:39:05 »
Hahaha are you sh*tting me man?! That worked. Why the hell does that work like that? That's one of those things that's super simple, but only if you already know about it. Damn.
Thank you very much. I am now a happy person.

EDIT: New bug found: Meteor crashes upon attempting to open CARGOIN.
« Last Edit: 2008-08-17 09:04:47 by Tsetra »