Author Topic: Dead HP Laptop  (Read 6778 times)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Dead HP Laptop
« on: 2011-11-02 11:05:02 »
So I just recently came across a laptop that was non functional. It is an HP dv6000. Apparently this whole line of laptops has problems with the GPU desoldering itself from the motherboard. After much research this is what I did to fix it for anyone that has one or finds one in the trash.

1. Dismantle the laptop and remove the motherboard.
2. Remove the CPU from the board and any wires running on the board.
3. Remove CMOS battery
4. Remove all plastic insulation on the board.
5. Put board in oven sitting on balls of aluminum foil.
6. Turn on to 385F. When temp hits 385 let sit for 5 minutes.
7. When done turn off oven and open to let it slow cool for a half hour or so.
8. Get a copper shim or smooth down an old copper penny. (Must be from before 1982 when they were 98% copper)
9. Remove the thermal pad and apply thermal paste to the GPU. Put penny on it and apply thermal paste between the heatpipe and the gpu.
10. Reassemble the laptop.
11. Profit!

Hope this helps anyone that finds one of these HP engineering fails.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Re: Dead HP Laptop
« Reply #1 on: 2011-11-02 13:47:42 »
I know someone who had that exact model. They trashed it before i could get my hands on it :( great find though!

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-11-02 14:53:32 »
The main problem was the thermal pad they use to couple the heatpipe to the gpu. Its like 1/8" thick, which is downright stupid. I wouldnt expect it to transfer much heat that way.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-11-02 18:37:22 »
 :o Will this actually work..? LOL at the steps sounds kinda stupid xD

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-11-02 19:35:10 »
Wow I just tossed one like 6 months ago :(

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-11-02 19:59:49 »
:o Will this actually work..? LOL at the steps sounds kinda stupid xD

Well considering i just did it yesterday and I now have a working laptop I would say it does. As for how long it will last.... who knows.

pacito-ex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-11-23 01:29:35 »
Epic win sl!

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #7 on: 2011-11-23 11:56:00 »
did the same thing to a ps3 (slim) baked it @ 375 (f) for two min, it works perfectly now. that was about a week ago.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-11-23 16:05:40 »
what was the problem with the ps3 and how did you fix it?
i got 2 ps3's one fat 80gb and one slim 160gb, the 80gb suddenly just broke down looked up internet etc for fix but nothing but then i called sony repairs thing they say something like over 90 quid i am like f*** you!
soo yeah if you know how i could fix it would be grateful  :)

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #9 on: 2011-11-23 16:59:50 »
the problem was a YLOD.(turn on 3 beeps , quick yellow light then it would shut off)
to fix it it
  • i completely disassembled the ps3. so that i could remove its main board.
  • cleaned off all the thermal paste from the cpu and gpu (as well as bottom of the cooling block).
  • covered a circular baking pan in aluminum foil, put the board on the foil and covered the board with more foil. leaving  the area around (and including) gpu and cpu exposed more directly to the heat
  • placed it in my oven. turned the oven on to 375 deg F.preheat w/ the board in the oven so it all evenly heats  to prevent cracking. after it reaches temp "cook" for two min. let cool ~15min. (do not touch it)
  • reassembled the ps3 be sure to put new thermal paste , i used Arctic silver 5 .

if you look on youtube for ylod fix you will see lots of ppl do this with a heat gun or blow dryer. or use much higher temps / longer "cooking" time, the thing that matters the most is that the solder is heated enough to become a liquid but not to long  or you will start to melt the plastics on the board or do things much worse, like start to pop capacitors  (this is also why we cover everything to keep it out of the more direct heat).  hope that helps you. just be warned that your issue will prolly comeback sometime, its hard to say cause it depends on use and how hot the chips get it will come back sooner if you don't use the thermal paste correctly.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-11-23 17:07:36 »
Wow awesome tips and really easy to follow thanks, but woah completely dissembling and messing with the innards with my ps3 im not too sure about (not good with that stuff) now have to find someone techy enough who could do what you have said for me and yeah i checked youtube with those hair drier tricks tried em all didn't work anyways thanks alot mate this will surely come in handy, you absolute genius :D

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #11 on: 2011-11-23 17:20:06 »
i can't speak for the fat ps3 but the slim was pretty easy to disassemble. if you can't find someone local who can do it for you, let me know ill see what i can do to help.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-11-23 19:38:01 »
Sure thing, thanks alot :)