Author Topic: Lagging upon switching screens or after battle  (Read 1766 times)

Unwise Owl Tattoo

• View Profile
Lagging upon switching screens or after battle
« on: 2019-07-04 02:47:19 »
I had issues with getting the game to run today so I reinstalled the game converter (an aside... why do i have to reinstall the game converter every few weeks?) and the game is running again, albeit with incredible lag. Any time the game needs to load a new thing, whether it is a new screen or a battle or whatever, I get a 3-5 second black screen with a windows loading cursor. If it was just a loading screen, I could begrudgingly tolerate it, but the music also stops and it is very jarring.

I'm on Windows 10 on my laptop with a i7-8650h CPU, a RTX 2070 GPU and 16 GB of ram on my samsung EVO ssd. I am running a lot of mods, like remako, new threat, and a plethora of other graphical mods. Still they always worked just fine in the past. What would be causing this?

I'm running the program as administrator in 640x480 compatibility mode. I'm at a loss.

Lastly, like I touched upon up above, why does the game seem to break for no reason other than time? Game was working just fine when I tested it a few weeks ago. Today I tried to jump in and my install was broken, so I had to reinstall the game converter...

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: Lagging upon switching screens or after battle
« Reply #1 on: 2019-07-04 08:30:44 »
Open 7H->Workshop->General Settings to see if "direct" and "music" are duplicated in the Additional Folders tab. If so, then it's already been reported and will have a future fix. Delete them down to one each to eliminate the in-game loading lag.

Lastly, like I touched upon up above, why does the game seem to break for no reason other than time? Game was working just fine when I tested it a few weeks ago. Today I tried to jump in and my install was broken, so I had to reinstall the game converter...

For many reasons:

1. It's an old (ported) game with a very complex file structure that doesn't resemble what you may be used to with modern day modding.
2. Remember Windows 95? I don't either because I was too busy spending hundreds of hours on FF7 for the PS1. How about we port this game to PC at the same time Windows 98 is developed and released. Fast forward 21 years and multiple other Windows releases, and this is the mess we have to deal with.
3. Modding doesn't work out of the box, hence why Aali's Driver exists. It's what created this modding community over 15 years ago and built the first road that continued to where we are now.
4. Once we had the necessary driver, mod creation increased rapidly and created the bulk of what you see today. With that said, most mods were either created, or base their creation upon those first methods, when there weren't SE or Steam (2012) versions of the game. Meaning, most mods are built for the 1998 version of the game.
5. Since 3 versions of the game exist simultaneously, a Game Converter was created to keep all game versions based upon the 1998 version. This was necessary to keep the bulk of the mods compatible with any version bought.
6. The Game Converter requires registry key changes that work with the 1998 version.
7. Why did Skyrim mods break whenever Bethesda updated the game? When Windows updates, it can sometimes break these registry changes. This is when the Game Converter is required any given time after an installation and why the Overwrite option was created for it.