Author Topic: FF7PC Japanese  (Read 8673 times)

cromas

• View Profile
FF7PC Japanese
« on: 2007-03-14 04:46:23 »
Does anyone know if FF7PC was ever released in Japanese? I know FF7, of course, was originally Japanese and translated to English. As EIDOS published the PC version, however, I'm assuming they simply built the game off the American PSX version, which would mean that there was never a Japanese PC version. I've checked auction sites here in Japan but all I can find is Advent Children and PSX, so it seems like this is a reasonable assumption. Is it? If there was indeed Japanese version, does anyone have it?

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
Re: FF7PC Japanese
« Reply #1 on: 2007-03-17 18:38:44 »
i think they had 2 japanese versions, but they are in high demand, ones the origional and ones got extras built in i think

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff7/ff7inter.html

cromas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-03-18 01:21:21 »
Right, but those are both PSX versions, I'm asking about the PC.

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-03-18 13:19:08 »
Cromas, I assume you think that the Japanese version is better than the American?  :lol:
To tell you the truth FFVII was the ONLY game I can remember where the American version was better than the Japanese version. Ours had the weapons, Emerald, and Ruby, while the Japanese versions did not. Any other game and I see cool stuff taken away (Einhander's stage select anyone?)

As far as I know, there is no Japanese version of FFVII. Sorry.

Jari

« Reply #4 on: 2007-03-18 13:43:44 »
Any other game and I see cool stuff taken away (Einhander's stage select anyone?)

Nothing was taken away from the Japanese release of FFVII. It would require a time machine to do so in any case, seeing that it pre-dates US release.

...and all the additions made to US release were released in Japan in the International Version.

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-03-18 13:58:03 »
To tell you the truth FFVII was the ONLY game I can remember where the American version was better than the Japanese version.

You forgetting FFX Dark Aeon's on the pal one
but that all was put right for you guy's with FFX International Version.

ask for the topic nope i don't know when

cromas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-03-19 14:04:01 »
Cromas, I assume you think that the Japanese version is better than the American?  :lol:
Rather, I'm currently studying abroad in Japan and would like to try playing through in Japanese =) Especially because, despite the fixed-up translation in the PC release of FF7, there are still some parts that are sort of vague.

Wintermute

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-03-26 18:18:38 »
If there really is no Japanese PC version of Final Fantasy VII, you still can play the PSX one with an emulator.

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007-03-31 06:12:24 »
Nothing was taken away from the Japanese release of FFVII. It would require a time machine to do so in any case, seeing that it pre-dates US release.

...and all the additions made to US release were released in Japan in the International Version.
No dude, reread what I wrote. "Any other game and I see cool stuff taken away (Einhander's stage select anyone?)" Meant that American versions had their versions with features taken away, not the other way around. I meant the initial releases, not the international version.

Cromas, theres no real difference between PSX and PC version, except that PSX version is less modifiable. I say just emulate it with PSXE.

cromas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007-04-15 03:14:08 »
Cromas, theres no real difference between PSX and PC version, except that PSX version is less modifiable. I say just emulate it with PSXE.
Well, except for the whole FF7PC can run in high-resolution with high-quality models thing.  :-P

According to Wikipedia Japan, FF7 was released for Windows "in America," which would indicate to me that it didn't make it to Japan. So I ordered the PSX version from Amazon.co.jp yesterday.

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
« Reply #10 on: 2007-04-15 11:50:27 »
woudl it be possable to dump the text from a japanese psx game and import it into the Pc version or is the format going to be too differant?

cromas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007-04-15 14:13:28 »
I was thinking the same thing. The format will indeed be significantly different, as PSX discs don't have file structure. Sector addresses to access for data are encoded directly into the game. That said, text is text, and barring any compression or weirdness like that, is generally pretty easy to locate within files and extract into another format. I started a thread in technical to ask.

Wintermute

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007-04-15 14:29:52 »
Seriously, why don't you just try the game with an emulator such as ePSXe? That way you can also achieve higher resolutions as well.

I doubt, that it will be easily possible to convert the PC version to Japanese. Other Problems, which you didn't mention, would be the whole menu system, the name input screens, save game menu (which is different to the PSX version), config menu, some movies with hardcoded subtitles, bitmap graphics in English etc.

cromas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007-04-15 14:42:13 »
Menu system, name input, save game: don't really care if it's in English, but it shouldn't be much different. There are some games in Japan which are completely Japanese except for the menu system.
Movies: I've been planning on re-encoding from the PSX discs for higher-quality anyway.
Bitmap graphics: Not sure exactly what graphics you are talking about, but again, it's the dialog I'm concerned about. Knowing the Japanese for "Left D-Pad Button" isn't going to be all that useful. (well, outside of most circles...heh)

If I have to, I will resort to running it emulated. However, that's not only super-ghetto, but prevents me from running the really cool projects that are going on around here, such as the NPC reconstruction project. The game is just that-much-more immersing when the models look like...real people. I don't think it's necessary to be so negative about this idea. I'm a reasonably accomplished programmer and, with help getting the structures worked out -- most of which are already done, from what I can tell -- it shouldn't be hard to automate most of it.

Additionally, if I do get this completed, it would sure be cool to provide to the Japanese gaming community, since they never had an FF7PC. I've shown several of my friends here FF7PC+highres+NPC+FF7Music, and they had their socks rocked. It'd be nice if they could share that.

Wintermute

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007-04-15 16:20:37 »
Bitmap graphics: Not sure exactly what graphics you are talking about, but again, it's the dialog I'm concerned about.
It has been quite a while, since I played FF7, so I don't remember exactly, but I'm almost sure that there were several occasions. One that springs into my mind is the Condor Mini game (although not that important to the storyline.)
However, that's not only super-ghetto, but prevents me from running the really cool projects that are going on around here, such as the NPC reconstruction project. The game is just that-much-more immersing when the models look like...real people
This is true.
Additionally, if I do get this completed, it would sure be cool to provide to the Japanese gaming community, since they never had an FF7PC.
This as well
I've shown several of my friends here FF7PC+highres+NPC+FF7Music, and they had their socks rocked. It'd be nice if they could share that.
Trying to boast a little to your new friends, no? ;-) (Just kidding)

Hades

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007-04-23 17:52:09 »
I've shown several of my friends here FF7PC+highres+NPC+FF7Music, and they had their socks rocked. It'd be nice if they could share that.

Hey.. Sharing is caring   :lol:

Hyunckel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007-04-23 21:34:37 »

Hey.. Sharing is caring   :lol:

It depends on what you're sharing  :-D