Author Topic: Black Textures Problem (Or Graphical Glitches with GF8800)  (Read 32588 times)

Timiditas

• View Profile
Re: Black Textures Problem (Or Graphical Glitches with GF8800)
« Reply #50 on: 2007-05-04 12:38:39 »
No, i'm from austria. I think home will cost about € 100 or so...
Ich würde aber schauen, daß du ausgereifte Treiber für deine Hardware bekommst, bevor du dir Vista kaufst. Da mangelt es nämlich nach wie vor dran.

borak2k7

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2007-05-04 12:53:04 »
Christian my suggestion would be to split your XP HDD (depending on size) and have XP and Vista on the same disc. This keeps your OS clear of any of your other data such as games and downloads.

But the problem with that is that if the HD dies you lose both OS's which means u have to reinstall and lose any data that might have been on either.

Alternatively if you put an OS on each HDD if one crashes the other still exists but if I was to do that I would use partition magic to make a separate storage section. Of course if THAT HDD crashes you lose one windows setup plus all your other stuff.

Its really upto how you want to work the setup.

I use vista x64 and the nVidia drivers are fine and your future proofing coz x64 has backwards compatability for the more popular x86 progs. x64 lets you have LOTS of ram whereas x86 only lets you have 3.2gb (even if you have more installed than that)

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #52 on: 2007-05-04 13:22:18 »
I always intended to make a partition only for Vista, just asking myself which HDD i should make it on.
I downloaded partition magic and i think i'll make a new partition on my second HDD for Vista. How much free Space will Vista need?
And are any things I can NOT do with x64 i can do with x86?

@Mods: sorry for talking off-topic, but thats important for me, and it anyway belongs a bit to the topic  :lol:

borak2k7

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2007-05-04 13:39:59 »
x64 does have compatability issues with certain programs, and I must stress that it tends to be older programs. x64 has a compatbility software that allows most x86 programs to run so mostly should be ok. Software is bit by bit being bunked up to x64 and vista compatability. Its just a bit of a slower process than people would like but no more so than when XP came out. It should be better than that though.

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #54 on: 2007-05-11 22:14:36 »
Ok guys,i have installed Vista now (x64, Ultimate Version).

Vista is installed on a seperate partition, XP still exists.
I can load the installed FF7, because i dont have the registry keys from it under Vista.
But i also cannot install a new FF7, everytime i click on "install" in the menu, it freezes.
What could be the problem here?

PS: Once i tried "Run as admin" the ff7inst.exe, and i got a bluescreen :x

borak2k7

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2007-05-11 23:10:01 »
Running in XP compatability?

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #56 on: 2007-05-11 23:15:23 »
Running in XP compatability?
Tried XP-Compatibility, the same problem occurs: freeze of Setup.exe when clicking "Install". I cant even kill the process in task-manager.
BTW: where does FF7 look for registry values in vista?
EDIT:Im such a fool. Its not a freeze, its a loading time...Now ill install FF7!!!  :-D
EDIT2: The installation runs! Im so happy :-D  :-)  :lol:  8-)
EDIT3: FF7 works great! But unfortunately movies arent playing...anyone knowing what to do?
EDIT4: I cant find the registry keys of FF7 for the movie-HDD-twead! i have searched for "fantasy" and "squaresoft" and didnt find anything... :cry:
« Last Edit: 2007-05-11 23:44:13 by Christian »

Timiditas

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2007-05-12 10:10:39 »
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.
on XP, although mine key is empty because I uninstalled FF7, so I don't know if this is the right key.
Also try a search for "eidos"

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #58 on: 2007-05-12 10:38:53 »
Yeah thats the key in XP, but i cant find it in Vista...
And, is there a truemotion codec for x64? Because it says that the Video player cant be installed on x64-Systems.
Or is there another solution for movies not playing?
When i enable truemotion playback in ffdshow, i hear the movies playing, but i cant see them and cant go to the new-game-continue-screen.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #59 on: 2007-05-12 13:30:06 »
In x64, it will be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.

For the movies, disable FFDshow support for Truemotion (if you have FFDshow installed) and install the upside-down movie patch as mentioned in the FAQ (I have updated the patch installer with one that works in 64-bit Windows, which really just required some unpacking).  This is the same for any version of Windows.
« Last Edit: 2007-05-12 13:31:44 by Aaron »

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #60 on: 2007-05-12 20:16:29 »
Thanks, now everything works, movies off harddrive and they play! Thanks very much for all help in this thread!  :-D

madcat1990

« Reply #61 on: 2008-03-30 05:13:10 »
so let me get this straight, I have to run crappy vista, just so that I can have Direct3D on final fantasy?

What is this crap?

I don't have the money to buy vista!

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #62 on: 2008-03-30 13:24:56 »
yeah...we coulnt find ANY other solution to this...  :x

madcat1990

« Reply #63 on: 2008-04-01 21:02:00 »
yeah... >_<

I hate vista, no offense to who uses it but, IMHO it still has a long way to go!

I'll just stick with software rendering atm...untill someone figures this out >_< because I refuse to put that OS in my rig

eismann23

« Reply #64 on: 2008-04-29 08:04:16 »
Hey guys and gals!

I have the stupid black characters problem too. I use a Macbook Pro with 8600M GT. Been at this for days now! I couldn't get it to work in XP either... And I tried a few different drivers... Well, with Vista, FF7 does work (so it must be a driver problem, right? Why can't nVidia fix it?!?).

Now the bad part:
1) I HATE Vista!
2) I don't know if you noticed, but Vista doesn't support DirectSound anymore (another reason why I hate it). Most of the time, you wouldn't notice, but there are some effects (like the "Cries of the Planet" in Buggenhagen's place) that just won't play.

You can google this (just search Vista & DirectSound).

Now, one possible solution is: I buy a "Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook" and hope that "ALchemy" (a little DirectSound-Emulator for X-Fi Cards only) actually does work.

Another solution is: nVidia fixes their stupid drivers for 8600M GT and Apple incorporates them to Boot Camp, so I can actually install them.

Another solution: I buy another computer that is OLD enough.

Well... I don't really like any of them! Anyone able to come up with a fresh answer to that? :-D

Best, Rob.

Timiditas

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2008-10-15 15:04:39 »
Alchemy sucks big time. There are many games that either won't be able to use that fake EAX at all or just crash with EAX enabled.
No more Creative Labs for me. And certainly no more Vista. Had it, loved it, hated it, formatted it. There are too many reasons for me
not to keep it.

burnzy51

« Reply #66 on: 2008-10-15 19:40:37 »
My FF7 runs fine with saints hi res patch.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4ghz
4GB PC6400 Ram
8800GT 512mb
Windows XP Pro x64

I had green gridlines when i started, but i just selected the TNT instead of RIVA in the nvidia part of of FF7Config and now it runs fine. No glitches or anything.

Im using Saints hi res, ff7music, NPC recon.

Im using the latest drivers as far as I know, only formatted recently and download the latest drivers off the nvidia site.

burnzy