Author Topic: Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii  (Read 12101 times)

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
« on: 2006-09-20 14:49:14 »
Now that the Wii is soon to be released I wanne know what your opinions about it are at this moment. I personally think it's the best thing that happened to the gaming franchise since Pong.

I am gonna get it 6th of December (europe) and you?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
« Reply #1 on: 2006-09-20 15:33:15 »
I'm going to get it Nov 19 (USA Launch). I happen to know that my town is getting quite a few, as we have three major stores selling it in a town with a population of only 15000. This means that I don't have to preorder, though I will camp anyway just to keep proud gamer tradition.

A lot of people were really surprised at the launch date Nintendo gave for the US, despite the fact that EVERY Nintendo system since the SNES (possibly earlier, I don't remember) has launched the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Why should this be any different?

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
« Reply #2 on: 2006-09-20 18:05:49 »
the controls on it still intrest me, i havent seen anything like it, but i thort the same with the n64 and i loved that  once i got used to  it,
btu as far as getting one goes, il be waiting till a christmas or so after till they drop the price and a few more games have come out

James

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-09-21 03:15:40 »
I'm hoping it'll be gold.

Got my doubts, but I'm still buying it.

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #4 on: 2006-09-21 07:41:13 »
Quote from: chaoscontrol
Now that the Wii is soon to be released I wanne know what your opinions about it are at this moment. I personally think it's the best thing that happened to the gaming franchise since Pong.
How can you have any opinions on thing that wasn't even released yet ?

ye-roon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-09-21 08:11:58 »
i have to wait till december 8 :(

BUT WHO CARES, i'm definitly gonna buy it, put it next to my tv and play zelda till i drop. Then i will play it again and in mean time kick friends arses in wii sports. The new controls really interest me as i was quite bored of the standard gameplay of today :) and when smash brothers brawl hits the wii its gonna be online wii gaming non-stop :p

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-09-21 08:29:29 »
Quote from: chaoscontrol
How can you have any opinions on thing that wasn't even released yet ?

Well, if you've followed the Wii from back when it was called the Revolution then you have probably seen enough about it to have an "opinion".

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-09-21 20:50:25 »
I just saw pictures from UBI soft for upcoming Far Cry version for Wii.
I gotta say the graphics look tame and is just above par for what you can do on the PS2 and maybe even the GameCube.
I pray the games on Wii will make is a classic, because it is a revolution and I for one will get one just to be able to mess around with the controller :)

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-09-21 22:23:46 »
Kinda lame that some people are graphic-whoring, who gave a fuck about graphics in the olden days? (Well maybe they gave a fuck but not as a 1st priority as it is seen now)..

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-09-21 22:48:26 »
Hey The Skillster, maybe I missunderstood you, but did you suggest that PS2 is more powerful than the GC?
About the Wii, the machines is fairly overpriced. If Nintendo really wants his machine to compete against XBOX360 and PS3, they better prepare a really good marketing campaign, because the price is way too high. 200 euros would have been fine, but 250... it's nearly as expensive as an XBOX360 and not even half as powerful.

Fergus McMillan

« Reply #10 on: 2006-09-21 23:39:12 »
I think the Wii looks very interesting and I hope it crushes the X-Box 360, however I'm not really a fan of any Nintendo franchises so I more than likely won't be getting one. The Wiimote seems like it'd be awesome for FPS games, though for like a 3rd person action/adventure type game it seems like it'd be a bit awkward to handle.

...I also think they definitely need to follow the DS naming scheme and stick 'Wii' in the title of the games. Resident Wiivil. Super Marwiio. The Legend of Zwiilda. Har har bad joke.

I think my money will be going to a PS3... maybe a year or so after it launches. I <3 Sony's consoles (never ever had a problem with my PSX or my PS2) but I don't have the money to grab a PS3 on release day.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-09-22 00:34:29 »
Well, if you've followed the Wii from back when it was called the Revolution then you have probably seen enough about it to have an "opinion".

The only problem is this: back in the day, it was called the Revolution. Now it's the Wii.

A name change takes more dedication and a lot more work than a minor system tweak here or there, that said, it is quite possible that at one point Nintendo had the greatest system ever made and made one minor change that makes it subpar at best.

While I doubt this is the case, it is too soon to pass judgement, seeing as how it hasn't been released.

Kind of like the folks who said Fable was going to be the coolest RPG ever (myself one of them).

Boy did we ever get proven wrong.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006-09-22 02:55:00 »
It bugs me that some Wii games are being made that have PS2-esque graphics. The Wii is powerful enough for better than a lot of what developers are doing. I don't consider myself a graphics whore, but available power should be used.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-09-22 09:54:53 »
It bugs me that some Wii games are being made that have PS2-esque graphics. The Wii is powerful enough for better than a lot of what developers are doing. I don't consider myself a graphics whore, but available power should be used.

Well if you look at Mario 64 and Conkers bad fur day you'll see that developers need to learn to figure out how to "use" the system at best.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-09-22 15:57:30 »
True, chaoscontrol, but the Wii is basically just heavilly modified GC architecture. Even if it has more power, the basic tech is still the same, so developers should already know how to use it to a large extent.

Have you seen screenshots of Far Cry or Samurai? They look absolutely terrible. Heck, Samurai looks like a late N64 game, with square hands and all. I know darn well that even on a system that they are unfamiliar with, they can do better than that.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-09-22 16:21:44 »
Well, it could have 2 possible reasons imho:

- The Wii is a overpowered gamecube, true, but do the developers know how to use the overpower? the tiny things they might have changed are probably not something you can make use of without some experimating.

- The developers only know the new controller for about 1 year (devkit) and making a game with that piece of equipment might me very hard. They also had a limited amount of time to make a game because the launch is kinda quick and some developers announce games for 2007 but gamers want "media" so they provide us with it which could have 2 possible outcomes, it could help by showing us the gameplay of the game or it could have a negative look on it because of the graphics (where they probably didnt spend as much time on because they want to show off gameplay)

So..

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006-09-22 21:45:30 »
I must agree with Covarr. The developers don't seem to be doing it as good as they could. The captures of Metroid Primes 3 Corruption, for example, look worse than Metroid Primes 2. Not to talk about seeing something that resembles Resident Evil 4, which I think reached the peak of the GC capacity.

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
« Reply #17 on: 2006-09-23 07:56:30 »
i saw a new demo of the enw zelda game yesterday, the graphics did look a bit basic, but i think some of it is because some of the games had been developed for the GC but got pushed back for the wii, but it would probably be best tow ait till its been released

ye-roon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006-09-23 14:28:30 »
ah yes the famous: OMFG the game has SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET graphics it must be good story. personally: a game can lookt sweet and nice and stuff. But as long as the game doesnt interest me in gameplay i wont play it. Wii gives new gameplay, gameplay i am interested in. And online Smash Brothers, and online mario kart and online pokemon. Imho give wii now :p

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006-09-23 17:09:25 »
I severely doubt I'm going to be buying the Wii. Probably a PS3.

rmco2003

« Reply #20 on: 2006-09-24 07:26:09 »
I'm definately buying a Wii, I'm saving up for it right now :-P I think the graphics look great, but I'm even more excited about the gameplay, and the Virtual Console :lol:

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006-09-24 09:26:52 »
Hey I have been following it long before they even showed the prototype of the case way back (about the same time Sony showed their first glimpse of the PS3).

Well the fact it was going to be heavily underpowered didnt become apparant till some months ago. Considering it is almost a year new then XBOX360 and yet wont stand up to it (not fora few generation of games) in terms of power.

Why is this important? Because the main drive of the Wii is to be in the living room and to be used by the whole family, to go online, to share pictures etc with friends and basically be able to interact with a media rich environment.

Thats where the power of the machine will tell, media rich GUI environments, and media rich in game environments.
It's no longer about the ingame graphics (N64 and GC showed that you dont need a powerful GPU to make good games) but about the total experience, and Xbox and Xbox360 are leading the way in providing a media rich online environment (and a good offline media environment with the media streaming capabilities), and I am hoping the big N have enough class and style in their department to keep users entertained regardless of the lack of raw CPU and GPU power.

rmco2003

« Reply #22 on: 2006-09-24 13:24:28 »
Well it's not really up to Nintendo, it's up to the developers to utilize the hardware well.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006-09-24 17:13:37 »
Using the hardware well is how Capcom was able to port RE4 to the PS2. Though some things, graphically, will be impossible on Wii, it's plenty good enough as long as the Dev'rs know what they're doing.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006-09-25 05:45:20 »
I don't know about the N64 having a lot of great games.

You could count the good ones on two hands.