Author Topic: OpenVIII - FF8 engine in Monogame and Unity  (Read 2513 times)

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
OpenVIII - FF8 engine in Monogame and Unity
« on: 2018-07-30 14:42:29 »
This is true act of bored person:
OpenVIII - the FF8 engine set:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/069wd7lcvopjf0h/FF8.7z?dl=0

Just two implementations of FF8 engine that works ONLY on real VIII files meaning you wouldn't even run it without Steam release of VIII or slight code change.

In the package you will find:
OpenVIII - This is Unity project, that provides:
  • real-time battle 3D rendering with textures
  • basic field rendering with camera setup
  • all LZSS, field archive and whole core

FF8 - This is Monogame project, that provides:
  • real-time battle 3D rendering with textures that renders face one-by-one considering the CLUT (closest to original fan-made battle stage rendering ever made)
  • basic field rendering
  • real DirectMidi support for direct DLS and SGT music
  • Movie player (unfortunately not Bink wrapping, but casual MPEG4 without sound)
  • all LZSS, field archive and whole core

Use it to learn, use it for your own projects, use it to listen to music or view 1:1 stages with FPS camera, whatever. I simply don't care.

Tutorial:
Before you proceed with anything make sure you have Final Fantasy VIII steam version installed (or 2000 PC version if you can do basic coding)

FF8 - XNA/MonoGame:

1. You may need to install MonoGame for VisualStudio. You can do it without any problems at: http://www.monogame.net/downloads/ ; Just make sure to download DEVELOPMENT build for Visual Studio instead of official releases (they are quite outdated)
2. After grabbing MonoGame you'll be able to open Visual Studio 2015 (minimum) project without any problems. Just open FF8.sln with Visual Studio
3. Open Game1.cs- this is entry-point class. You can uncomment line 26 at init_debugger_Audio.DEBUG(); to enable DirectMusic
4. Open Memory.cs and take a look at lines 37 and 38. You'll understand the drill. Set the path there to your lang-en catalogue of FF8 or change it to e.g. lang-fr, doesn't matter, files should be there. Make sure path ends with '\' (lazy programmer I am)
5. DONE! You'll enter automatically into field mode. Use F keys to change modes:
F2 - change module to battle and set to next stage
F3 - Next music
F4 - change module to field and set to next field
F5 - same as above but gets back to previous field ID
Battle stage:
Movement mouse; WSAD translation
Quitting:
ALT+F4 ;_;
« Last Edit: 2018-08-01 12:24:39 by Maki »

Yagami Light

• View Profile
Re: OpenVIII - FF8 engine in Monogame and Unity
« Reply #1 on: 2018-07-30 16:10:16 »
This looks awesome Maki, do you have a tutorial on how to set it up, do you need to download unity etc

qotsaninsoadkorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-07-31 01:11:38 »
oh hmm... :mrgreen: nice effort by the sounds of it...
this makes me wonder if it is heading towards porting FF8 to PS4 aswell, via Custom UNITY engine?
since UNITY for PS4 plugins are apparently leaked and around... FF7 / FF9 Mods for FW 5.05 users are coming soon :)

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-07-31 08:37:07 »
This looks awesome Maki, do you have a tutorial on how to set it up, do you need to download unity etc
Oh right, sorry. I'll make sure to write the tutorial to set-up everything ASAP

porting FF8 to PS4 aswell, via Custom UNITY engine?
So... I'm working in gamedev industry and have access to official PS4+XOne SDK*, but even with that it's not so easy. For Unity you need to have full commercial license. It's better for XNA however, as you need only the target file. Anyway, everything's possible.

*but please do not ask me for anything about it. :(