Author Topic: [FF8PC-2000] Project SeeD - FF8 GUI overhaul (2.0)  (Read 182693 times)

Vehek

• View Profile
Re: Project SeeD (FF8 GUI overhaul)
« Reply #25 on: 2011-06-17 01:40:10 »
the problem with remodeling things in ff8 is that they use weighted models, and thus the rigging process would need a fancy shmancy tool to get done... otherwise the characters wouldnt animate.
I'm not very savvy with 3D modeling, but there doesn't seem to be specific weights for each vertex group. The unknowns in vertex data and vertex tend to be 0 all the time. As far as I can tell, all that matters is which bone the vertices are assigned to. If rigging the models is so important, what would improper rigging do?

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2011-06-17 02:31:24 »
even with binary weight, you need a tool to assign it. if its not done right, the vertices around joints'll flip out during animation.

Soul XXcult

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2011-06-17 06:11:45 »
How to install this and with what files do I need to use ? sorry for such a lame question

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2011-06-17 11:38:41 »
How to install this and with what files do I need to use ? sorry for such a lame question

Quote from: First post in the thread
Q: How do I install it?

A: Extract all the files and put into /[modpath]/mods . Modpath being whatever you set it to in ff8opengl.cfg (obviously Aali's driver is required, 0.7.10b or higher)

Quick search will get you Aali's driver.

Soul XXcult

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2011-06-17 13:13:37 »
thanks for reply  :) but how to set a modpath? :cry:

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2011-06-17 13:24:48 »
Open up the config file, which should be ff8_opengl.cfg, with notepad/wordpad/any text editor, you'll see the line to edit in there.

Terid__K

« Reply #31 on: 2011-06-18 13:15:55 »
Just tested it. It looks like you need to leave the option "Use High Res Fonts" in the FF8Config checked, otherwise the game crashes before it gets to main menu.

Just a heads up, in case anyone runs into this problem.

USC

« Reply #32 on: 2011-06-22 20:38:20 »
Hey sl1982, nice work!
Playing through, I noticed a few things (because I'm OCD like that) and made some minor fixes; you can use them if they meet your standards, or at the very least they'll give you ideas for the next release.

http://www.2shared.com/file/Jk-Myi2f/ProjectSeeD_Addendum.html

List of changes
sysfld00_01, sysfld00_07: Moved the starting quote " over so it wasn't inside the ending quote " tile
iconfl01_023: Made the 8, 9, and : used in the Timer high-resolution; Made the 'Lv' used in the Battle Results screen high-resolution.
iconfl01_23: Made the 'Lv' used in the Battle Results screen high-resolution.
iconfl00_02: Moved the numbers used in the Timer to prevent them from leaving pixels in each other's tiles.
iconfl01_02: Made the 'S-Lv.' used to show your current salary high-resolution; Made the 'Lv' used in the Battle Results screen high-resolution.
iconfl01_00: For some reason, when you run out of health it uses the 0 here, so the 0 was made semi-high-resolution.
iconfl02_23, iconfl03_23: Fix an alignment issue with the PLAY used on various menus.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2011-06-22 20:48:08 »
Awesome work, ill take a look at your modifications and add them in. Thanks for the help :)

USC

Re: [REL] Project SeeD (FF8 GUI overhaul)
« Reply #34 on: 2011-07-01 03:29:54 »
No problem! I'm playing through the game for the first time, so whenever I see something missing I tend to go back and add it in.
I've done a sizable amount since then, so I'll post that as well; hope it's of use to you. There's a text file included that details all the changes and where they appear in the game, in case my work doesn't meet your standards.

Download here...

juststat

« Reply #35 on: 2011-07-18 12:17:02 »
Great work I just figured out how to use it. I did notice that on certain screens it says Glitch incorrect file format for the start game screen and in battle scenes the menu cursor isn't hi-res after clicking in a sub menu (for example clicking on GF the menu cursor changes to low res for the other sub menus. Also the GF Boost cursor icon and red x are still low-res. Is there any way you can fix that or can you tell me how to do that so I can fix it my self. Again thank you very much for your hard work it's made me enjoy this game once again.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2011-07-18 13:58:33 »
I would be happy to take a look at these but as I have not really played the game I do not know what they look like. Can you please provide screenshots of the offending icons and I will try to redo them for the next release (which will also include USC's modifications and most likely an installer)

juststat

« Reply #37 on: 2011-07-18 15:16:17 »
Okay here is a link to the slide show on youtube of the glitch errors and low-res cursor icon on sub menus and GF boost. I haven't figured out how to post images on this forum yet so this will have to do for now. Love this work you have done even with the glitches it makes the menu easy on the eyes   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9bDs47AfRk

USC

« Reply #38 on: 2011-07-18 16:06:25 »
@juststat: Those error messages are because you're using OpenGL and it likes to warn you; there's nothing sl1982 can do about that. If it really bothers you, try opening ff8_opengl.cfg and setting shaders to 'yes'. As for the GF boost icons, those are stored in iconfl01_02.png & iconfl01_03.png. I fixed it in my version and posted them here (a few posts above this one).

@sl1982: I think what he's referring to is the semi-transparent icons in icon_00.png through icon_23.png. I tried changing those and didn't have any luck, but perhaps I just didn't number them right.

rotschleim

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2011-07-19 08:02:32 »
Hello, sl982! You did a good job on the new menu graphics. They're much more appealing now! :)

I have a small question: would there be a way to do anything with the hi-resolution font? I've noticed that in FFVIII's PC release, it's pretty poorly spaced out and entirely lacks a shadow. Because of that, it makes the character names hard to read in battle--especially when fighting on a beach scene.

Nywie93

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2011-07-25 18:21:44 »
I need help, can you explain how to install the seed project mod, step by step thank you
« Last Edit: 2011-07-25 18:27:45 by Nywie93 »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2011-07-25 20:03:52 »
The installation instructions are pretty straightforward.
I dont know how I can simplify them anymore.

Soul XXcult

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2011-07-26 01:51:25 »
maybe someone could record a tutorial video

falkTX

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2011-07-26 15:46:58 »
step 1 - install the aali driver
step 2 - extract this mod contents into the "mods" directory
step 3 - edit "ff8_opengl.cfg" and set this line like this:
Code: [Select]
mod_path = .
Make sure you have high resolution fonts enabled, and enjoy!

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2011-08-04 08:32:02 »
I thought I would post this here, maybe an idea for a future release. Transparent avatars.

KumoValentine

« Reply #45 on: 2011-08-06 15:05:29 »
step 1 - install the aali driver
step 2 - extract this mod contents into the "mods" directory
step 3 - edit "ff8_opengl.cfg" and set this line like this:
mod_path = .
Make sure you have high resolution fonts enabled, and enjoy!

I can't get it to work what is the file path you use this is what I have in my config file "mod_path = /mods"

falkTX

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2011-08-06 15:11:23 »
I can't get it to work what is the file path you use this is what I have in my config file "mod_path = /mods"

hmm...? I could not be clearer...

Mod extracted to /mods dir
mod_path set as "." (single dot)

KumoValentine

« Reply #47 on: 2011-08-06 15:19:59 »
hmm...? I could not be clearer...

Mod extracted to /mods dir
mod_path set as "." (single dot)

OK here is what I've done I put the data folder in the mod folder, then in the config file I need to know exactly what to type after mod_path =

Thank you for helping I know it's probably something really simple i'm missing

falkTX

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2011-08-06 15:22:23 »
OK here is what I've done I put the data folder in the mod folder, then in the config file I need to know exactly what to type after mod_path =

Thank you for helping I know it's probably something really simple i'm missing

Like I said, in the ff8 gl config, set mod_path as this:
mod_path = .(It's a single dot)

KumoValentine

« Reply #49 on: 2011-08-06 15:26:39 »
Ok I did that and I don't see any difference, the fonts are still blocky and the menu imgs look the same.

Here is what the file looks like

# ff7_opengl-0.7.9b config file

## USER OPTIONS ##
## If you just want to play the game, these are the only options you'll want to change.

# set the window size (or fullscreen resolution) of FF8
# 0 means use original resolution (whatever ff7.exe provides)
# preserve_aspect adds black borders as needed to preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio
window_size_x = 1920
window_size_y = 1200
preserve_aspect = no
fullscreen = yes

# mod directory
# subdirectroy of mods/ where textures will be loaded from
# does not affect the old external textures feature, those should still go in textures/
mod_path = .

# check your driver settings if this option doesn't seem to work
enable_vsync = yes

# allow FF8 to use linear filtering for its textures
# some things look slightly better with this option on, but alot of textures just lose their detail
linear_filter = off