Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] FF7Music Installer (1.51.13)(Discontinued, use Anxious Heart)  (Read 343087 times)

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: [RELEASE] FF7Music Installer
« Reply #125 on: 2011-04-04 17:30:47 »
The amount of code required to modify the ff7music.ini file on install to work with this would be immense.
Really ? i edited a few lines in my FF7music INI in this release to
Code: [Select]
[Setup]
InputPlugin=in_vgmstream.dll
OutputPlugin=out_wave.dll

Paths=Custom_Music;OSTRe;FF7_PSF
By removing the path of the plugin and the path for the different playlists it always looks in the root of the FF7music folder for the files and folders (so no matter where FF7Music is installed it always looks for the files inside the folder its running from) so this should make it portable, then you need to alter your bat file (i know its a EXE now but its still a BAT file in my eyes) since at the moment it changes the directory to "C:\FF7Music", but since that file is run from the same folder as FF7music that line isn't really needed (as long as it is run from the same folder)
Or maybe you could make it so it always installs to the FF7 root folder which would probably make it a lot easier.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-04 17:33:28 by kranmer »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2011-04-04 21:16:58 »
Good work, kranmer, you've made me feel really stupid. I've spent years trying to make ff7music fetch music from paths with spaces, and it never even occurred to me to use relative paths.

You bet your ass this is gonna lead to significant changes in the next version of my installer. It will definitely allow more configurability, and probably use a default install location of wherever ff7 is installed.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2011-04-05 20:20:15 »
You bet your ass this is gonna lead to significant changes in the next version of my installer. It will definitely allow more configurability, and probably use a default install location of wherever ff7 is installed.

Nice :), i really look forward to the next version.

ThePreacher

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2011-04-05 20:24:13 »
Hello,
I noticed there is a "flaw" in you installer, witch makes FF7 Crash with a BEX (even if DEP is disabled) on Windows 7 x64!

You turn on compatibility mode for "Windows 98 / Me" by default for "FF7.exe". That causes the crash. The solution is to choose "Windows XP SP2" or no compat. mode at all.

Thanks and regards,

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2011-04-06 01:43:24 »
This is the first I've heard of this bug. I use it on Windows 7 x64 myself and have not had this problem.

I'm sure there was a reason I used Windows 98 compatibility mode, though I can't remember off-hand what that reason was. I will look into this, for sure.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2011-04-06 07:34:35 »
I'm sure there was a reason I used Windows 98 compatibility mode, though I can't remember off-hand what that reason was.

Curious, I have never used Compat mode for FF7Music on Win 7, and it's been fine.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2011-04-06 07:37:40 »
Curious, I have never used Compat mode for FF7Music on Win 7, and it's been fine.
Hrm. I seem to have ff7music set to xp sp2 compatibility mode.

I will have to look into why I did this, and then either undo it or write down the answer so I don't run into my own forgetfulness again.

ThePreacher

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2011-04-06 07:55:19 »
Hello,

to Timber: yes, it seems to work without compat mode. I noticed that many progs which still needed the compat. mode in Windows Vista don't need it anymore on Windows 7. Seems that M$ has done a pretty good job here.

The only thing that could happen is, that since you have that damn VirtualStore since Vista and no enough rights to write to HKLM in the registry, some progs might behave strangely, as the installer of the avalanche mod did. Starting FF7Config with admin rights fixed that problem, too. No need for compat. mode.

To Covarr: I have double checked this. As soon as your installer has run, the compat. flag for Windows 98/Me is set to "FF7.exe". Uninstalling seems to revert that change. The crash happens in "rundll32.exe" because of the shim dll (which is used by M$ for the compat. mode). Antivirus and/or M$ EMET could play a role, though. But even by completely disabling DEP in EMET, I got that BEX crash when compat. mode was set to Win 98/Me.

BTW.: I'd like to thank you all for your great work. Currently I'm playing FF7 again after MANY years with my 14 years old son. He is absolutely blown away by the great storyline. Without your awesome work this would not have been possible, or at least not in this pleasant way!

Edit: many typo's.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-06 08:01:07 by ThePreacher »

TrickyNick

« Reply #133 on: 2011-04-07 19:24:22 »
My antivirus flagged the one on megaupload.  The virus it found is:  TR/Clicker.aaa

Trying mediafire now, will post results if my AV sees the virus in it as well.

I use Avira AntiVir Premium

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2011-04-07 19:28:01 »
My antivirus flagged the one on megaupload.  The virus it found is:  TR/Clicker.aaa

Trying mediafire now, will post results if my AV sees the virus in it as well.

I use Avira AntiVir Premium

It's almost certainly a false positive. A lot of modding tools and installers have this problem, because the things they do are slightly similar to what viruses do and sensitive/indiscriminate AV software picks them up.

TrickyNick

« Reply #135 on: 2011-04-07 19:30:46 »
It's in the mediafire one as well.  The launchff7.exe file is the one that has it.

Still safe?

Well, I'm going to have to uninstall it.  No way around it.  Both my AV and my firewall are popping up an alert every 30 seconds.

Any other suggestions in how to use this mod without either one of them firing off?

EDIT2:
I told my AV to always ignore it.  Scared to have done that though.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-07 19:45:25 by TrickyNick »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2011-04-07 19:53:27 »
I made it myself. It's a batch file that has been converted to an exe using Quick Batch File Compiler.

What the exe really does, though, is to create the batch file on the fly and launch it silently, and then delete it when it's done. I only did this because this makes it work nicely in Steam and doesn't bring up an ugly command prompt window, but I'm not even remotely surprised that such behavior is being tagged by Avira; I'm fairly confident that its heuristic mechanism is recognizing this behavior and flagging it for that, rather than recognizing it is a known virus.

A quick run though VirusTotal is showing this file as all sorts of different viruses depending on which AV is asked (most positives are for generic categories rather than specific viruses). Having personally made and used this file, and checked for symptoms of a number of viruses that this file supposedly contains, I can say with 100% confidence that my computer is not infected, and launchff7.exe is perfectly safe.

TrickyNick

« Reply #137 on: 2011-04-07 20:00:57 »
I made it myself. It's a batch file that has been converted to an exe using Quick Batch File Compiler.

What the exe really does, though, is to create the batch file on the fly and launch it silently, and then delete it when it's done. I only did this because this makes it work nicely in Steam and doesn't bring up an ugly command prompt window, but I'm not even remotely surprised that such behavior is being tagged by Avira; I'm fairly confident that its heuristic mechanism is recognizing this behavior and flagging it for that, rather than recognizing it is a known virus.

A quick run though VirusTotal is showing this file as all sorts of different viruses depending on which AV is asked (most positives are for generic categories rather than specific viruses). Having personally made and used this file, and checked for symptoms of a number of viruses that this file supposedly contains, I can say with 100% confidence that my computer is not infected, and launchff7.exe is perfectly safe.

I figured it was safe & reason why I made it always ignore but is there a way around it though?  Cause it's going to keep coming up when I do my weekly AV scans. 

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2011-04-07 20:27:58 »
I haven't used Avira in a while, but isn't there a way to mark a file as a false positive?

The next version will have a new launcher that eliminates this problem, but it could be a while off. For now, you can just use the batch file that the exe is based on instead, and delete the exe. It'll work just as well, provided you don't want to use FF7 with Steam.

TrickyNick

« Reply #139 on: 2011-04-07 20:38:20 »
I haven't used Avira in a while, but isn't there a way to mark a file as a false positive?

Thanks, don't know why I didn't think of this.  I will add the file to the exceptions list.
For those wondering how....
http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=128948

I don't use steam, but since I can now ignore the problem, I won't need to use the batch file.

terrabrake

• View Profile
Re: FF7Music Installer
« Reply #140 on: 2011-04-09 00:08:17 »
Problem here, I can still hear midi music. I'm on Win7, any idea how to solve this?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2011-04-09 00:17:09 »
You've got Aali's driver installed and ENABLED? Run ff7config as administrator and make sure it has "Custom Driver" selected in the graphics tab.

terrabrake

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2011-04-09 00:56:06 »
Yes, everything is as you said. I remember perfectly that it worked on a laptop with XP, but it won't work correctly on these other one. However it seems ther's something wrong with the drivers. I enebled fps to show in a screen corner, but they never show up. Oh boy oh boy

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2011-04-09 01:12:41 »
Of it doesnt show up then the driver is not working. Show us your app.log.

terrabrake

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2011-04-09 02:11:03 »
In fact it was the driver not working. After reinstalling everything three times now all is fine yay! I think my mistake was creating the save files after installing the driver  :P. That's what I think... if it's not that I don't know why it was not working before.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2011-04-21 11:33:55 »
I have a problem : When I set in_vgmstream.dll as the input plugin in FF7Music, I configure it then save, but immediatly after, it is back to default. Could someone send a plugin.ini so that it will stop doing that?

ThePreacher

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2011-04-21 14:55:29 »
I have a problem : When I set in_vgmstream.dll as the input plugin in FF7Music, I configure it then save, but immediatly after, it is back to default. Could someone send a plugin.ini so that it will stop doing that?

You could check what file permissions are set on your FF directory. If you're using Windows 7 / Vista, this could be a problem...

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2011-04-21 18:55:22 »
Shoot, I didn't think of this.

If FF7Music is installed in Program Files (which is the default ff7 directory also), it WILL need to be run as administrator to change settings. I will see about changing the start menu shortcut so it does this automatically. (Don't want to change the game launcher, or it'll ask every time unless you turn off UAC, which I don't generally recommend).

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2011-04-21 22:47:55 »
Yeah, I'm on 7 64 bits. Unless the next release (but I don't use it for now), I will try to do that.

Edit : No, still doesn't work. I need plugin.ini for now.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-21 22:57:21 by Vgr255 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2011-04-21 23:13:29 »
Yeah, I'm on 7 64 bits. Unless the next release (but I don't use it for now), I will try to do that.

Edit : No, still doesn't work. I need plugin.ini for now.
Oh, it's vgmstream's settings that aren't changing? Hmm.
I recall having the same problem, but I don't know how to fix it outside of manually editing plugin.ini in an external problem. It may be an issue with ff7music itself.