Author Topic: [FF8PC] Project NORG - FF8 Videos Fractalized (HD) (2013-07-10)  (Read 42408 times)

Damocles233

• View Profile
Project NORG

This release includes the FF8 FMV's upscaled through fractalization and includes an upscaled Eidos Logo as well.

Original Resolution - 640x448 -> 1280 x 896 2X
Original Size - 855mb -> 1.67gb

FF8 - Liberi Fatali Sample Video: Project NORG: FF8 Videos Fractalized (HD) - Intro (Liberi Fatali) * fixed timing issue in video

Download: Project NORG
(Note: The current OpenGL driver does not support playing movies externally, hopefully Aali's next release will)

These video's use the same fractal algorithms as FacePalmer by Omzy
This work was inspired by Final Fantasy VII FMV Restoration by DLPB
FF8FMV by Qhimm was used to extract all the files necessary

"Bujurururu!"
« Last Edit: 2014-07-19 17:48:51 by Covarr »

Aavock

• View Profile
Re: [REL] Project NORG - FF8 Videos Fractalized (HD)
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-07 23:35:58 »
Hey Damocles233, very nice project but I think the Final Fantasy VIII PC re-release will include upscaled FMV's (pretty much like what they did with FFVII) so I suggest to wait a little more before starting this project. (:
« Last Edit: 2013-07-07 23:37:57 by 5way »

Damocles233

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-07 23:50:05 »
Well lets just hope they get the re-release done soon, and correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe when FF8 was released they gave us the higher res fmv's, 640 x 448 as well.
When FF7 released the pc version only had the 480's.
Either way the project is already done just need to get all the links set and I wouldn't mind using my same process again if we are given higher resolution fmv's with an official re-release.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-09 03:24:43 »
Hey Damocles233, very nice project but I think the Final Fantasy VIII PC re-release will include upscaled FMV's (pretty much like what they did with FFVII) so I suggest to wait a little more before starting this project. (:

I second this.  I made fractal videos for VII and it took over  a month.  The result was not as good as I'd hoped, and the ones that came with ff7 2012 were better.  The ones that come with ff8 are likely to be more impressive due to the higher initial resolution 640*448

Damocles233

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-09 03:29:48 »
To be honest I did most of the work last year but never finished cleaning up a few things so went ahead and did that. Also did it in hopes that this might stir driver support for higher resolution videos and textures for FF8.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-10 02:00:04 »
FF8 HD remake isn't out yet, so I would love to see these done  :)

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-14 01:24:36 »
 ;)

ZL325

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-14 13:11:34 »
;)

Ozmy's up to something... Watch out everybody. Lol xD

Guiness80

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-14 16:54:10 »
Very Good word on videos !  :)
But I wonder where to put them in FF8 Folder please ?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-14 18:06:14 »
Ozmy's up to something... Watch out everybody. Lol xD

Update 7/13/13:
I've playtested through 75% of the game and have a larger list of erroneous fields (~20). Whenever I get around to finishing the game (for the 15th or so time), I'll release more fixes  :-)
Waiting oh so patiently for FF8 driver support so I can wreck that game's graphics too...

;)

Damocles233

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-07-15 21:08:52 »
Unfortunately though all the video's have been upscaled on my end Aali's driver doesn't currently support playing fmv's externally, so until we get an updated driver with support we won't be able to play these fmv's while in game. I did see recently Iros, a member here on the forums has designed a wrapper that runs and redirects ff7.exe to run lgp's and bin's externally so maybe we could ask him if theres any viability for an ff8 wrapper to redirect the exe calls for the fmv's to a movies folder.

Fendera

• Your friendly neighbor :D
    • View Profile
any chance to use this files with the steam version of FF8?

/Edit: Ok i just replaced the files with the old ones and renamed them, it works.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-14 11:37:25 by Fendera »

Mirrorman95

• View Profile
    • Mirrorman95 - YouTube Channel
Are these better quality than the Steam videos? I thought the Steam version's videos had a higher source resolution.

drdaylight

• View Profile
Are these better quality than the Steam videos? I thought the Steam version's videos had a higher source resolution.

I believe these look better than the ones that Steam provides. It really comes down to preference I suppose. Compare for yourself and choose. Here's a screenshot I took (using Media Player Classic) for a quick comparison:

Or here, in game with 'Keep Aspect Ratio' Enabled:

Or here, in game with 'Keep Aspect Ratio' Disabled:

Steam is on the left; Project NORG on the right.

I'll post this here also as long as it's OK. I've uploaded all the videos here with just the names changed so you don't have to change them manually yourself. I've added a 100% recovery record to the .RAR. This makes the file slightly larger than the original supplied by Damocles233. Only thing not included here because it isn't needed for the Steam release is the Eidos logo.

You can download it HERE.

Of course, all credit for these go to Damocles233.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-18 21:18:08 by drdaylight »

Fendera

• Your friendly neighbor :D
    • View Profile
I believe these look better than the ones that Steam provides. It really comes down to preference I suppose. Compare for yourself and choose. Here's a screenshot I took (using Media Player Classic) for a quick comparison:

I'll post this here also as long as it's OK. I've uploaded all the videos here with just the names changed so you don't have to change them manually yourself. I've added a 100% recovery record to the .RAR. This makes the file slightly larger than the original supplied by Damocles233. Only thing not included here because it isn't needed for the Steam release is the Eidos logo.

You can download it HERE.

Ofcourse, all credit for these go to Damocles233.

yes the Project NORG versions are slightly better. The "credits" are also different right? thx for your upload, didnt see it yesterday so I renamed it by myself.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
The Steam videos are upscaled from the 640x480 videos from the 2000 PC version, same as these. It looks like they just copy-pasted the upscale settings from the FF7 Steam videos, which worked there, but don't look good at all on FF8 because the source was higher quality to begin with, and the upscaling is too aggressive with smoothing and makes everything look super smudgy.

falkTX

• View Profile
The videos are nice, except for the fact that they are 16:9 while the original ones were 4:3. :(
Everything looks stretched in these videos...

Laeko_Zr0

• View Profile
I don't see any tutorial anywhere about where the files in the download need to go to. What am I supposed to do???? I am running the Steam version.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-14 01:20:43 by Laeko_Zr0 »

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
I don't see any tutorial anywhere about where the files in the download go. What am I supposed to do???? I am running the Steam version.

Find whatever drive you installed FF8 or Steam on and the directory should be something like this "Steam/steamapps/common/Final Fantasy VIII/Data/movies". Movies is where you want to place the files.

Laeko_Zr0

• View Profile
Find whatever drive you installed FF8 or Steam on and the directory should be something like this "Steam/steamapps/common/Final Fantasy VIII/Data/movies". Movies is where you want to place the files.

Thanks, really appreciate the fast response.  ;D

Laeko_Zr0

• View Profile

Hang on, do I need to add all of the resized avi files into the /movies folder all at once and remove the ones already in /movies? Or do I leave them alone?

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Hang on, do I need to add all of the resized avi files into the /movies folder all at once and remove the ones already in /movies? Or do I leave them alone?

You should just drag the files into the folder and let it replace the ones already there. Everything should work properly after that. :)

qotsaninsoadkorn

• View Profile
sorry to reply to old post, but can we get this one moved to where it should be...
it's clearly a FF8 mod...
yet i found it in the FF7 area...
if it was where i expected it to be, i'd already have it to give an opinion of how it compares  :mrgreen:

uxu888

• View Profile
the video sequence looks a little better in the project than the original