Author Topic: A question on Reno of the Turks.  (Read 4020 times)

Eyundis

• View Profile
A question on Reno of the Turks.
« on: 2019-10-11 00:17:22 »
Hey there. I'm new here.

I'm curious about Reno's personality in JP FF7 compared with US FF7. Looking over FF7 recently and comparing how it had Reno compared with the Compilation, it's jarring how he seems more...serious business? Like, he's not loud mouthed or hyper. He's comic relief, but from what I can tell his humor came from how he acted more or less like a salaryman who just so happened to be a corporate hitman. Not really from slapstick or acting like a fool.

Thing is, I've heard reports now and then that Reno in FF7's JP version was sillier than in Eng version. More or less saying he was more akin to how he was in Advent Children. I doubted this since FF7 had no problem showing how animated characters like Don Corneo were, so if Reno was supposed to be more in their style then the game would've done so.

What's the deal?
« Last Edit: 2019-10-11 00:21:45 by Eyundis »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: A question on Reno of the Turks.
« Reply #1 on: 2019-10-12 22:03:42 »
Japanese Reno was somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. The original localization definitely dropped the ball and lost a good chunk of his charm, but Advent Children made the opposite mistake and exaggerated his silliness to the point of absurdity.

Eyundis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-10-13 02:20:31 »
I see, thanks for the help.

How would you describe JP FF7 Reno? A playful hitman?

Eyundis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-10-13 13:49:44 »
Advent Children really dropped the ball huh?

I wonder what led to the change? Especially since Axel from Kingdom Hearts is supposed to be modeled on Reno.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-10-13 21:56:27 »
It could be that, the Shinra organization being pretty much destroyed, he didn't really have a job to work or a reason to be serious... but then, all the characters in Advent Children were flanderized to hell, mere caricatures of what they'd been in FF7.