Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 704229 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Wall Market, FFVII KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #600 on: 2009-09-04 18:31:45 »
What if you want brackets in your text? :-P

Perhaps you could let the modder insert hex by writing this:

Code: [Select]
<hex>FF FF FF FF</hex>
 :lol:
« Last Edit: 2009-09-04 18:39:17 by Kudistos Megistos »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #601 on: 2009-09-04 18:53:59 »
brackets themselves will work fine. If WM discovers that it consists of 0-9 or A-F then it'll treat that as hex values. If you want something like "{texthere}" then that's what'll display so long as isn't a hex value. If you want "{A}" then it won't read that as a hex because it's not "{0A}". And if you want "{0A}" then use a different bracket. :P Otherwise you could do something like "{5B}0A}", but it would likely load it as "{0A}" again...I'll consider it.

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: 2009-09-05 22:25:28 »
Hmm... it apparently doesn't like you accidentally trying to open a new kernel (as in clicking open instead of create) then creating a kernel afterwords, because it sort of gives an error and doesn't make the kernel. IIRC PrC had/has this issue (i am pretty sure i said this in PrC's thread at some point a while ago, i just tried it in PrC and it is fixed in it, though it may have just not saved in PrC, while WM errors), and I think it is because it lost focus of the kernel.bin's location that was previously opened or something like that, it doesn't know where to save it  :roll:.

Spirit.of.the.Dawn

« Reply #603 on: 2009-09-11 02:07:05 »
Hey!  I'm new here, (obviously), and am not very experienced with hex and coding and the like.  So just bear with me here.

I have the PSX version of the game, which I ripped from the disc and put onto my hard-drive.  I'm using an emulator to run it and I know that my computer is fast enough to run it, as it runs an UNMODIFIED version quite well.

Enter WallMarket.  I want to make all of the spells my own, (Fire2 --> Fira, Sleepel --> Sleep, create a set of Water spells), and edit the starting stats of the party to be stronger.  (On a side note, I want to edit the game's story text to make my own story, as well as edit the monsters and bosses to be super-powered.  Any direction to a set of programs that would work for the PSX version would be appreciated!)  So, I used WallMarket, (which, by the way, is very easy to use and well put-together), and edited all the stuff that I wanted to edit.  I finished up and clicked on "Create 'kernel.bin...'  (I, of course kept a back-up of the original.)  Enter the problem -- it says that the kernel.bin file is bigger than the size that is usually supported by PSX discs.  It says that it may not play correctly if I proceed.  I see the word "may" and decide to try my luck at it.  I create the kernel.bin file, then use ImgBurn to create an .img file.  Fail.  The emulator screens stays black and doesn't do anything, at all.  I tried making it a .iso file.  Fail.  So, to test it out, I extracted an unaltered .img file and re-compressed it with ImgBurn.  THAT file made a black screen, as well!

So, you see my dilemma, right?  I think ImgBurn doesn't make the right kind of .img/.iso file to be compatible with the emulator.  Any of you have any insight on this?  I guess I'm wondering if any of you have heard of a better, free-to-use .img file maker or if you know of a way to make ImgBurn make the right kind of file...

Thanks in advance!

- S.o.t.D

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: 2009-09-11 02:36:03 »
You should use CD mage when putting modified files back into the ISO; it will put the files back into the right part of the disc. The game will mess up when you make files bigger or don't put them back into the ISo the right way, because FF7 looks for data in specific sectors of the disc; if you change things around, those sectors will get messed up and the game won't know what it's looking for.

If your kernel.bin file becomes too big, you can make it smaller by getting rid of unneeded stuff; deleting the AI for everyone except Sephiroth and Vincent is a good idea. So is getting rid of the descriptions for things you don't get until disc two when editing a kernel.bin for disc one and deleting the descriptions for Aeris' stuff when editing the kernel.bins for discs two and three (you can have different kernel.bins on each disc).
« Last Edit: 2009-09-11 02:38:02 by Kudistos Megistos »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #605 on: 2009-09-11 04:16:05 »
...Enter the problem -- it says that the kernel.bin file is bigger than the size that is usually supported by PSX discs.  It says that it may not play correctly if I proceed.  I see the word "may" and decide to try my luck at it.  I create the kernel.bin file, then use ImgBurn to create an .img file.  Fail.  The emulator screens stays black and doesn't do anything, at all.  I tried making it a .iso file.  Fail.  So, to test it out, I extracted an unaltered .img file and re-compressed it with ImgBurn.  THAT file made a black screen, as well!

For the time being (and perhaps for ALL time) replace "may" with "will". Until such time as there is a program that is able to completely re-write a PSX CD from only files the KERNEL.BIN will only be limited to 22K in size. Anything greater and it "will" not load.

It reads "may" on the off chance that some day in the future, PSX CDs will be flexible like this. The (hopefully) final update is ready and waiting on the documentation to write itself....I mean, me to stop putting off making notes of the changes I made.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: 2009-09-14 15:18:08 »
As per NFITC1's request :-P, I'm bumping this thread to tell everyone that a new version of WallMarket has been uploaded. The link, as usual, is in the OP.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #607 on: 2009-09-21 13:56:12 »
WallMarket has again been updated with the following:

First of all, saving changes should work properly now. I'm not sure if this one wasn't working before, but it should now in all cases.

Second, I discovered some issues with loading a KERNEL.BIN that had a matching "kernel2.bin" file, then loading one that didn't and vice versa. Hopefully all those work now.

A minor cosmetic detail: Now instead of always statically saying "Create KERNEL.BIN" in the File menu, it will now say "Create <name of KERNEL.BIN file you opened>". So if you opened a file called "PollyWollyDoodle.AllTheDay", this option will now read: "Create "PollyWollyDoodle.AllTheDay"". Oh yes, speaking off, now the opening/saving dialog boxes have the option to display all files [*.*]. This applies to PrC too.

WM does NOT have the ability to resize the AI box like PrC does. That function doesn't seem to be as needed in WM as it does in PrC.

chocofeather

« Reply #608 on: 2009-09-21 14:59:43 »
well done :)

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: 2009-09-21 15:05:20 »
it still seems as if it is not including the text changes... it does patch the other data correctly, but it does not save the text changes to the kernel2.bin. i checked both the kernel itself (in case it was only saving as a psx game, even though it was from a pc version), and the kernel2, neither had the updated names, though the non-text data was all carried over successfully as far as i saw.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #610 on: 2009-09-21 15:13:05 »
it still seems as if it is not including the text changes... it does patch the other data correctly, but it does not save the text changes to the kernel2.bin. i checked both the kernel itself (in case it was only saving as a psx game, even though it was from a pc version), and the kernel2, neither had the updated names, though the non-text data was all carried over successfully as far as i saw.

I'm able to save text changes and (mostly) apply them back. I got an error when applying, but it didn't seem to have any ill effects when I ignored it.

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: 2009-09-21 15:14:49 »
i get no text changes whatsoever, it seems that i am the oddball yet again :-P. maybe it isn't loading the kernel2.bin correctly for the pc version? i could try out a simple psx version of it to see if it successfully works there, if you want me to. i also receive no error, it just patches with no text change.

nope, psx has the same issue, it just isn't applying the changes to text for me.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-21 15:18:40 by secondadvent »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #612 on: 2009-09-21 15:57:52 »
You ARE saying "yes" to text changes when it asks you, right? That's what does the text changes.

I'm going to email you a file that changes text. You should send me one that you tried to create that changes text. I'll see what it's doing.

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: 2009-09-21 16:34:47 »
yes i am clicking yes :P. and the file you sent does indeed work to change the text, but when i create mine, it just doesn't seem to include the changes either way. i will send you the file in a sec.

edit: sent. i also attempted to refresh the current kernel before making the patch (to see if it just wasn't seeing the text changes... dunno how you are making the patches to know what to look for :P), so it just seems that it does not like me for whatever reason  :oops:
« Last Edit: 2009-09-21 16:39:48 by secondadvent »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #614 on: 2009-09-21 17:11:39 »
No, the text changes are not in that file. It's not marking those changes for some reason.

Are you comparing the changes you've made to the file you loaded (clicking yes at the first option) or an unmodded kernel2.bin file?
« Last Edit: 2009-09-21 17:14:12 by NFITC1 »

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: 2009-09-21 17:24:47 »
to an unmodded one... and i think imma get some sleep... i have been up all night  :-(

EDIT:

Well, the only thing I can think of is that it isn't comparing the kernel2.bin data correctly if you manually compare to an unmodded kernel. I was able to patch text fine when using changes based off of the previously loaded kernel, so maybe manually comparing just isn't loading the kernel2.bin's data to be compared, and it just compares the text changes to the previously loaded kernel instead, and if you are making a patch from a freshly loaded kernel, it will not have any differences to be found.

Not sure if you get what I am saying, but that is the only thing i can think of that would cause it to work for the automatic and not the manual compare.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-23 12:54:59 by secondadvent »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #616 on: 2009-09-23 13:07:43 »
Well, the only thing I can think of is that it isn't comparing the kernel2.bin data correctly if you manually compare to an unmodded kernel. I was able to patch text fine when using changes based off of the previously loaded kernel, so maybe manually comparing just isn't loading the kernel2.bin's data to be compared, and it just compares the text changes to the previously loaded kernel instead, and if you are making a patch from a freshly loaded kernel, it will not have any differences to be found.

I thought this too, but I think the manual compare worked for me too. I changed just text and it compared with the kernel2.bin just fine...I think it did anyway. I'll go back and test that a little more later.

EDIT: I think I found and fixed the problem. I was able to successfully open a modified kernel2.bin file and create a change file comparing it to an unmodded one.
I also thought of a new feature I need to add: "Delete <object>". I've noticed that some people that want to mod their PSX files have been deleting specific attacks/weapons from the KERNEL.BIN that can't be acquired on specific discs. I think this is a good idea, but WM doesn't exactly let you do that. Also, the initial data is worthless on later discs so I should add an option to delete that info too. (For everyone but Vincent and Yuffie since you can get either of them on any disc). Proud Clod would benefit from this too. "Delete enemy" or "Empty Scene". That way, the user could chose to remove certain info that isn't available on each disc. This particular feature would be worthless to PC users because the KERNEL.BIN and scene.bin are loaded directly from one copy of it that is installed and size isn't an issue. Still, I can't neglect my retro-PSX fans. :D
« Last Edit: 2009-09-25 01:45:07 by NFITC1 »

Myrmedus

« Reply #617 on: 2009-09-27 20:57:07 »
I was wondering if there was any possible way to inject an additional byte of data into the kernel for spell animation IDs - it's a pain to be cut off from 1/3 of the animations in the game because of this limitation :(

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: 2009-09-27 22:58:28 »
I was wondering if there was any possible way to inject an additional byte of data into the kernel for spell animation IDs - it's a pain to be cut off from 1/3 of the animations in the game because of this limitation :(

I think that would require some serious hacking of the .exe file, so Wall Market won't be able to do anything like that,

chocofeather

« Reply #619 on: 2009-09-28 06:26:04 »
I have also noticed there is no editor for chocobo names like teioh?  They found somewhere else?

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: 2009-09-28 10:34:56 »
There is an editor for chocobo names in Teioh?  I believe you're thinking of Jenova save game editor.

chocofeather

« Reply #621 on: 2009-09-28 16:07:16 »
That doesn't edit the inbuilt names during the chocobo races.  The translation project may require the use of soemthing that can edit the names of the racers.  Certainly Teioh.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-28 18:53:04 by chocofeather »

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: 2009-10-10 06:51:47 »
hey... not quite sure when you will be back on here (due to the current stuff you are implementing), but a friend of mine noticed an issue with WM... it seems that when you modify the upper bounds for HP past 9999, the cap either does not save, or is not displayed if it is over 9999, even if it was saved correctly. MP correctly changes, i tested it at 2000 and the graph and the stats correctly changes (didn't test saving it though), but even making the limit for HP over 9999 before saving shows no change, even at 30000.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #623 on: 2009-10-12 16:37:17 »
hey... not quite sure when you will be back on here (due to the current stuff you are implementing), but a friend of mine noticed an issue with WM... it seems that when you modify the upper bounds for HP past 9999, the cap either does not save, or is not displayed if it is over 9999, even if it was saved correctly. MP correctly changes, i tested it at 2000 and the graph and the stats correctly changes (didn't test saving it though), but even making the limit for HP over 9999 before saving shows no change, even at 30000.

I fixed this now. Text changes should also work when saving. This might be the last thing I do here for the rest of the month. I'm pretty busy with moving.

Also, check out the blog on the first post now. It's been there for a while and I'm not sure anyone has looked at it. I forgot my password (again) so I can't get in at the moment.

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: 2009-10-12 21:55:22 »
nah, i have been following your blog... i am your one and only follower :3.

however, i cannot seem to be able to comment there for whatever reason... so i have had to do so here  :|. glad to see that new versions are finally out though :D