Author Topic: YouTube's new design  (Read 7992 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
YouTube's new design
« on: 2010-04-01 03:20:03 »
Words can not express how awful this is. Every single change they've made is retarded. Is it uglier and harder to use. Whoever designed this needs to be fired.

Out of a cannon.

A cannon that is located on the roof of the Burj Khalifa

I really hope they listen to the community reaction with this one and don't ignore it like they did with the new channels. Apart from making greasemonkey scripts unusable, this design makes YouTube a much less pleasant experience.

« Last Edit: 2010-04-01 03:22:11 by Kudistos Megistos »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
Re: YouTube's new design
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-01 06:39:13 »
Maybe I just don't get it, but that site was one of the most random things I've read in quite a while :D

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-04-01 09:13:35 »
Youtube is now an amateur blog site, there are no visual breaks in the page any more, looks like a 5yr old designed it and as such there is no design, at least user channels seem to be intact.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #5 on: 2010-04-01 11:53:51 »
I hate the new layout too. How the "Autoplay" was always "on" by default. I didn't want to watch the other videos YOU thought I'd like, thank you very much!

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-04-01 11:57:30 »
Y'all should see the feedback they're getting ;D

It looks like they really listen to their users :D

As for autoplay, I had a greasemonkey script called "YouTube Perfect" which disabled all autoplay (i.e. including the video that would always have played anyway). Of course, the old scripts don't seem to work any more :roll:

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-04-01 13:38:01 »
Y'all should see the feedback they're getting ;D

It looks like they really listen to their users :D

As for autoplay, I had a greasemonkey script called "YouTube Perfect" which disabled all autoplay (i.e. including the video that would always have played anyway). Of course, the old scripts don't seem to work any more :roll:
Youtube's more recent layouts were designed by idiots. I'm surprised such shoddy work can come out of a subdivision of Google (although Google does tend to employs some dodgy implementations behind the scenes at times). At least the autoplay option *works* now. Before, it would only work like 25% of the time. I also enjoy the facts that you can make custom playlists now (or at least more easily now), and that they did away with the 5 star rating system. Nobody ever actually puts anything besides 1 or 5 stars. The like-dislike options are a nice feature.

One thing that consistently pisses me off is how they changed the design of the profile pages a while ago, they don't work for me at all, ever. Certain unlucky IP addresses get slammed with a "Bad response from server" (most generic error message ever) whenever you change the video on a profile page. I have to pull the whole, Copy link location, paste in address bar, bullsh*t whenever I want to change vids.

EDIT: I officially have no life. woot. At least the stars are blue now instead of pink.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-01 13:40:51 by titeguy3 »

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-04-01 14:33:08 »
Perhaps their design is *deliberately* atrocious for the sake of April Fools Day?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-04-01 15:56:00 »
Perhaps their design is *deliberately* atrocious for the sake of April Fools Day?

That's what a lot of people are hoping. :P

However, the TEXTp thing seems to be their April Fool's joke; there's an option to have all videos in ASCII format. Of course, they might be pulling our legs by pretending the ASCII thing is the April Fool's joke when actually it's a distraction from the real prank.

And I think it says a lot about their design that people think it must be a joke because no-one could possibly think anyone would like it. ;D

Colonel Ramsay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-04-01 16:26:52 »
It won't last, google are a company that listens luckily...

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-04-01 18:34:17 »
i'd like to have that TEXTp option to stay.

right now i had to download youtube video and play it in mplayer with libcaca output for the same effect. not anymore! ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuzDmoO5l4Q )

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #12 on: 2010-04-02 00:26:37 »
i absolutely agree, the old one was damn near perfect (near, not was)

WHY WOULD THEY GET RID OF THE BUTTON TO SEND US BACK TO THE HOMEPAGE, THAT RETARDED

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-04-02 00:33:09 »

WHY WOULD THEY GET RID OF THE BUTTON TO SEND US BACK TO THE HOMEPAGE, THAT RETARDED
you can actually click the logo now and it takes you back to the homepage. Although it is disorienting at first.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #14 on: 2010-04-02 00:39:54 »

you can actually click the logo now and it takes you back to the homepage. Although it is disorienting at first.

i'd still rather have the old layout :P

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #15 on: 2010-04-02 12:08:07 »
What I find disturbing is that they prob payed some guy tons of cash to design it lol.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-04-02 14:23:20 »
EDIT: I see, they only changed a few things back to normal, the new design is here to stay.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-02 15:46:37 by titeguy3 »

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #17 on: 2010-04-02 15:15:07 »
April Fools! it's back to normal! Who called it first?
Yo! ;)
I'm sad to see the textP option go, though, that was quite cool. They should offer all sorts of filters on their videos.

Although really, it was probably just a cleverly implemented experiment. "Hey, if people hate it, we'll play it off as an April Fool's joke, if they like it, we'll keep it!"

O.O why hasn't mine changed back

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-04-03 03:38:42 »
Okay.  New hopeful theory.  They've extended April Fools Day to April Fools Week *crosses fingers*

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-04-05 15:30:01 »
I've noticed something else that's interesting about YouTube recently:

I keep seeing Indian Premier League cricket stuff amongst the featured videos. Is anyone else getting that? ???

I wonder why this is. Is YouTube trying to get more Indian visitors? (AFAIK, it doesn't get many)

Do they have a deal with the IPL or some broadcasters?

Is all this for the benefit of non-Indian cricket fans who can no longer watch their favourite players because they've gone to India?

On that note, I find it hilarious that (when it comes to cricket) Brits and Aussies are now going to India to get jobs and make money. Seems like Bizarro world. ;D

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-04-05 17:01:12 »
I've noticed something else that's interesting about YouTube recently:

I keep seeing Indian Premier League cricket stuff amongst the featured videos. Is anyone else getting that? ???

I wonder why this is. Is YouTube trying to get more Indian visitors? (AFAIK, it doesn't get many)

Do they have a deal with the IPL or some broadcasters?

Is all this for the benefit of non-Indian cricket fans who can no longer watch their favourite players because they've gone to India?

On that note, I find it hilarious that (when it comes to cricket) Brits and Aussies are now going to India to get jobs and make money. Seems like Bizarro world. ;D

Yeah....cricket....right....
[/American]

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-04-19 10:43:50 »
I hate mostly the fact i can't see the history of seen videos.