Author Topic: FF8 Launcher - Custom resolutions and 8-bit paletted textures fix (patch)  (Read 148095 times)

renosky

I had problems with this for a while! I finally downloaded 1.31 and ran it from my desktop as opposed to 1.3 in my FF8 folder. I am running it at 1280x980 with all my nVidia graphics options cranked to the max. Here is the comparison.
Before:

After:

faquemon

hey! i have been using your launcher for a while!
however now i am running windows 7 x32 and i re installed the game and when i was reeding your readme i have found these:

- FSAA / Anisotropic Filtering settings in NVIDIA Control Panel are not applied on Vista

since i have a nvidia geforce 9400g on my laptop will the definition from nvidia control panel affect my ff8 image ?
i have been all the time playing FF8 on vista with your launcher thinking that i was taking advantages of AA and AF from nvidia control panel!

and what about the fsaa option in the launcher ? it should be turned on ? however it only goes to x4 FSAA isn't it ?

thanks for your attention !

aladore384

• View Profile
Hello,

The patch works nearly perfectly for me. My only problem is this :

How do I solve this problem ? The font without the patch :

finalfantim

• View Profile
Could someone please upload ff8_launcher_v1.31.rar to a more decent sharing site?
RapidShare is constantly overloaded. I download once in a while from RapidShare and its always overloaded...crappy service.

Anyway great launcher! but i have to same problem as aladore384.
Its far more superior than Aali's OpenGL driver since it has jittery 3d models like the psx version?

Im using it with a ATI 3870x2 with a resolution of 1680x1050 and apart from AA (flickering video when enabled), some minor text texture issues and black edges on transparent textures, its working like a charm.

« Last Edit: 2010-01-16 18:47:09 by finalfantim »

aladore384

• View Profile
I am hosting it : http://ffhuit.free.fr/ff8_launcher_v1.31.rar

If the author want me to remove it, just email me at : [email protected]

finalfantim

• View Profile
I am hosting it : http://ffhuit.free.fr/ff8_launcher_v1.31.rar

If the author want me to remove it, just email me at : [email protected]

Thank you so much!

I just hate it when you have to wait for a 10kb file :S, RapidShare is constantly overloaded.

ChopstickZ

Hey there. I have got a problem concerning my SAVEGAME and ff8 launcher.

Running FF8 from the launcher, resolution is a lot better but I can't find my old savegames. Starting from the normal ff8.exe, everything is fine.

I couldn't find this using the forum search...

Does anyone know how to fix this?

greetZ,
Chop

edit: I sort of fixed it by -- I don't really know HOW-- using the ff8 editor...
« Last Edit: 2010-01-24 21:43:07 by ChopstickZ »

Brad_mo123

Hi, I pretty much just downloaded this and started using it and the problem I get is no matter what options I select I get the game in a box on the top left of my screen (smaller box the higher the resolution). I have a ATI Radeon HD 4600 series and my desktop resolution is 1600x900 (if that even matters) I have ran the launcher with every possible option and no fix.  Any ideas?

Brad_mo123

Hi, I pretty much just downloaded this and started using it and the problem I get is no matter what options I select I get the game in a box on the top left of my screen (smaller box the higher the resolution). I have a ATI Radeon HD 4600 series and my desktop resolution is 1600x900 (if that even matters) I have ran the launcher with every possible option and no fix.  Any ideas?

Well, I fixed the issue with the picture being on top left of screen, I just changed it from software render to hardware render and it seems to work except for when I go to new game the game crashes, I think it has trouble running the video intro, not sure.

Jamers

• View Profile
Well, I fixed the issue with the picture being on top left of screen, I just changed it from software render to hardware render and it seems to work except for when I go to new game the game crashes, I think it has trouble running the video intro, not sure.

You should try using Aali's custom graphic's driver for FF8, instead. Here's the link. The launcher is a great utility that I used for a long while, but Aali's driver allows for more customization.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-17 15:13:07 by Jamers »

Natsuke

Thank you so much for this great program. It's helped me so much.

I run Vista, so you can tell it's been hell trying to get my games to work. At first, I thought it was my CDs being screwy with me and was fuming over buying the game without ever being able to play it, since I got the black boxes and it crashed every now and then. But after getting the updating patch, using a different directory, getting the EAX dll and using your wonderful program, it's been awesome. Haven't looked back since. Thank you so much.

Question! Is it possible to run this launcher and play in a window instead of full screen? I don't know any windower programs, but I'd like some advice~
« Last Edit: 2010-03-17 21:47:40 by Natsuke »

squaling_cloud

• final fantasy VIII is my favorit game
    • View Profile
Hey guys this is my first post on this Forum

so i got the launcher downloaded...i set it to be the same as my native desktop resolution...and now the game will play a nice properly formatted edios start up screen but after that when the squarsoft logo comes on its position weirdly to the top left...the rest of my screen is black...its making me go nuts i tried lowering the resolution to a non w/s  and it does the same thing just in a more narrow field of the screen...Ive been playing with it for a bout 2 hours and have gone through this forum quite a bit...i am getting dizzy with scrolling through other peoples questions so i thought id post ...

PLEAAAAAAASE SOME ONE HELP ME!...this was my favorite game as a kid and i cant afford to get XIII so i wanted to relive some memories

e-mails are welcome

[email protected]

cloud9

• View Profile
Hey guys this is my first post on this Forum

so i got the launcher downloaded...i set it to be the same as my native desktop resolution...and now the game will play a nice properly formatted edios start up screen but after that when the squarsoft logo comes on its position weirdly to the top left...the rest of my screen is black...its making me go nuts i tried lowering the resolution to a non w/s  and it does the same thing just in a more narrow field of the screen...Ive been playing with it for a bout 2 hours and have gone through this forum quite a bit...i am getting dizzy with scrolling through other peoples questions so i thought id post ...

PLEAAAAAAASE SOME ONE HELP ME!...this was my favorite game as a kid and i cant afford to get XIII so i wanted to relive some memories

e-mails are welcome

[email protected]

config your ff8. set the render to direcrt3d hardware instead of software render to properly use the ff8 launcher. my computer's resolution is 1360X768 but i set my ff8 launcher to 1024x768 and check the 4:3 ratio. but when i use the 640x480 the screen stretches... i' have to stick to my 1024 resolution.

griffin25

i new to this but u guys are fucking geniuses i am serious from this site i have pretty much got everything figured out an i am running perfectly god damn i love it

Elio2690

• View Profile
Hi guys, im new to this forum.
Actually im having problems with FF8 exactly at the first laguna appereance, right after the forest part when i arrive on deling, im supposed to go to the bar but when i want to go east, my game crashes with the FF8.exe stopped working.
Any help please? :( thanks!

ellelaby

Okay... I've got FF8 working in quarter screen mode, software rendering, etc... but I feel it isn't good enough and I would enjoy the game so much more if I could get 8-bit pallete textures working.

I've downloaded the launcher.. etc etc, I have installed the nvidia 1.2 patch and i've also tried to use the 1.2 patch (the normal one) to see if there are any differences, but I haven't seen anything yet.

My graphics card is a GeForce 6100 or 6150...

The problem is: Even though I've copied the launcher files into my FF8 main directory, the problem is, the only "fflauncher.exe" file is a "manifest" file - which doesn't even do anything when I double click it or when I drag it onto my FF8.exe. But after reading this forum as well as reading the included text files included in the download, I'm under the impression I should be able to open the FF8.exe file that is included and I should actually be able to select an "8-bit pallete textures" option. The "FF8 config" file that comes with the PC game originally does not allow me to "pass" 8 bit pallet textures or even "-".

Could the problem in fact be that I also have a "FF8 configurator" in my main ff8 director, could this have something to do with it?

Or do I need to get a program to be able to open the manifest file??

Sorry when it comes to this stuff I'm pretty nooby.

smf052910

• View Profile
You should be able to extract the files to your FF8 directory, run the launcher, and edit the configuration through the UI. If all else fails, you can change the file extension of the configuration file to '.txt' and manually edit it.

Rajiyn

Screen looks really good but I get this. It doensn't take the full screen neither goes to the top left
any help?

Thanks

Edit: Tried everything.
Tried every resolution. Change from Direct3D to software
Note: Software does change the resolution but screen is top left
Direct3D doesn't change the resolution but screen is centered with black sides.
Both ways suck.

Tried putting different Options.
Nothing works.

Please any help?
« Last Edit: 2010-06-22 20:50:00 by Rajiyn »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
this program is obsolete, use Aali's driver instead:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8306.msg142017#msg142017

if you have trouble search around, there are tons of guides on how to install/configure it.

lee
« Last Edit: 2010-06-22 22:38:12 by pyrozen »

Rajiyn

Great!

I got fullscreen.
Starting the game. And the game quality is just like it was! Pixally and PS1 style.
So I'm back to the start with the driver?

Any help?
(Thanks for the hint btw. Did solve a problem. But made me go back where I started)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
there is a problem with FF8 for PC, the world map textures never use their hi-res counterparts. So the world map always looks like crap. Some people started investigating if it is possible to turn these textures back on, but i haven't heard much about it lately. I'll bet you have everything setup just fine, your looking for quality that just isn't there.

lee

smf052910

• View Profile

Screen looks really good but I get this. It doensn't take the full screen neither goes to the top left
any help?

Thanks

Edit: Tried everything.
Tried every resolution. Change from Direct3D to software
Note: Software does change the resolution but screen is top left
Direct3D doesn't change the resolution but screen is centered with black sides.
Both ways suck.

Tried putting different Options.
Nothing works.

Please any help?

This is what it's supposed to look like. It prevents the client from stretching the image to fit the display, which reduces pixelation. As for Aali's driver--I am having different results with the default OGLHA (looks like D3DHA) and his driver (looks like Software Renderer).

aladore384

• View Profile
@Steven Pyon : couldn't send by mail.

new link : http://aladore3viii4.free.fr/files/FF8/ff8_launcher_v1.31.zip