Author Topic: Square Enix  (Read 12533 times)

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Square Enix
« on: 2002-11-26 11:31:56 »
Nobody posted this yet?
Guess I'll post it then.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2002/112502c.html
http://www.gameforms.com/news/?615

[edit by Q: SqE, not ESq :) ]

Jedimark

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #1 on: 2002-11-26 12:01:31 »
Hmm interesting... who are Enix by the way?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Square Enix
« Reply #2 on: 2002-11-26 16:17:37 »
WHO are Enix? They are, or at least traditionally has been, Square's arch rival on the Japanese RPG market. Makers of the Dragon Quest series, and several other interesting RPGs.

I wonder how the Square Enix logo will look... hopefully not anything like Enix's current logo (which is awful IMO)... :)

Rubicant

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #3 on: 2002-11-26 16:22:17 »
Nah, they're doing something else. They're gonna call the "new" company "Squeenix" or something like that. The logo will consist of a burning chocobo with Enix's old logo being melted in hydrochloric acid in the background. And the "SQUEENIX" with different shapes for letter replacements will be in the foreground of this.

Of course, that's a big lie. I wonder if this is more of a "buy out" than a merger...

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Square Enix
« Reply #4 on: 2002-11-26 16:28:16 »
Oh, perhaps colorful block letter's like the more recent Super Mario logos? ;-)

This isn't even a buy-out, as RPGamer says, Square is officially being disbanded and its resources absorbed into Enix. There's a report available on Enix's site (it's the bottom PDF link). It's in Japanese though, but at least it has some sketchy details of the new company formed.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #5 on: 2002-11-26 17:08:15 »
I read this morning. This could be pretty intresting. Hopefully Enix would like to publish there l33t games on the pc, yestheywould :D

While were on the topic. I recently played Valkyrie Profile by Enix. It ownz you all. For free. There for you should go and play it till you own it. For free. As I am currently doing.

Thank you all very much.

GattMan

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #6 on: 2002-11-26 17:45:26 »
So if Square is disbanded what will happen to everything Final Fantasy?  Will it all just pass into public domain (yeah right, but its worth hoping for)?  Also how about support for their products?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Square Enix
« Reply #7 on: 2002-11-26 19:13:35 »
Everything Square will still exist in Square Enix, and very much their trademarks. The "disbanded" part is just the financial technicalities of the merger.

Joey

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #8 on: 2002-11-27 00:44:51 »
Might that be a rumor? IMHO, Square has been making lots of dough and Enix has been losing a lot of money because their games are not released to the western market except for a few titles.

If square is disbanding or merging, it would have made headlines around the net but now, only 2 sites are reporting it.

It seems to be very unlogical if we see square's profit in the past with FFX, why would they want to disband?

This isn't even a buy-out, as RPGamer says, Square is officially being disbanded and its resources absorbed into Enix. There's a report available on Enix's site (it's the bottom PDF link). It's in Japanese though, but at least it has some sketchy details of the new company formed

Maybe Enix is the one who is being absorbed by square...

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Square Enix
« Reply #9 on: 2002-11-27 02:03:29 »
Damn... It's the end of an era...

And the new logo will probably involve a chocobo.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Square Enix
« Reply #10 on: 2002-11-27 06:43:56 »
The probability of this being a rumor are exceedingly low. As I said, Enix themselves have the report on their front page, and it's highly unlikely they'd risk their reputation on a bluff like that. And don't forget Enix is the bigger of the two companies, the Dragon Quest series is immensely more popular than FF in Japan. And I repeat, the "disbanded" part is just a financial technicality. Square is not "giving up", this is merely the most efficient way to merger for the two companies.

The reason no major headlines are floating around the net is that the actual press release was held only yesterday afternoon (Japanese time). Also, perhaps some of the sites are being sceptical and are waiting for others to report it first.

Lord Kane

• View Profile
    • http://lordkane.co.uk
Square Enix
« Reply #11 on: 2002-11-27 07:47:33 »
Enix and Square have worked together in the past actualy. IIRC Chrono Trigger was done in cooperation with Enix.
Last year, Namco, Square and Enix swapped stock. This is just a natural progression.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #12 on: 2002-11-27 22:37:49 »
The thing with this merger is, it seems more like a seamless merging itself. It's like both companies are doing the fusion dance from DBZ or something (Pardon me for making that reference)

Joey

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #13 on: 2002-11-28 00:10:00 »
Or, might it be something like that HP and Compaq merger?

Also, it wasn't at square's website, but onlyt at Enix. Is it just a proposal?

Well, after both sides has get what they wanted, they will split, I suppose
(Enix - Source code for FF game engine, translation(?)
(Square - Financial stuff)

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #14 on: 2002-11-28 13:49:28 »
I still want to see Dragon Fantasy or Final Quest.

Lord Kane

• View Profile
    • http://lordkane.co.uk
Square Enix
« Reply #15 on: 2002-11-28 16:50:04 »
>I still want to see Dragon Fantasy or Final Quest.

This is from RPG Fan:
There are no plans to merge the two companies' most heralded properties, the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series. The combined sales of both series' amount to a grand total of 72 million copies (Final Fantasy: 42 million copies, Dragon Quest: 30 million copies) worldwide.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #16 on: 2002-11-29 16:16:39 »
...*cries and pouts in a corner*
...I hate you. (you crushed my little world)

Smurgen

• View Profile
    • Http://smurgen.kj-soft.com
Square Enix
« Reply #17 on: 2002-11-29 21:37:48 »
No plans now, but when the money looks good enough, they'll do it

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #18 on: 2002-11-30 15:05:10 »
Yay! You're my new best friend! :D

Smurgen

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #19 on: 2002-11-30 21:15:34 »
I have a friend! *cries* This is the happiest day of my life!

Cyberman

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #20 on: 2002-12-01 23:55:45 »
Hmmm Squenix.. well...

Anyhow :) It may be a good thing or a bad thing, I've noticed that the last few years of Square releases save Chrono Cross have been rather poor.  I'm not a big FF9 fan. FF7 and FF8 I love same with FF4 FF5 FF6 and FF Tactics FF10 is OK :)

I'm not sure how Square has managed there poorly going releases like FFXI from what I've heard is doing horribly.  I hope Square turns it's eyes back on good developement and PLOT instead of cool graphics and such.. lots of glitz but no real bang to me.. bites. :)

FF8 .. real plot what's important.. and who are you?
FF7 .. real plot meaning of life and it's importance

I prefer games that have a point or direction to them .. that's an underlying theme.

I liked for example Vagrant story (although I am sure a number HATED that game I loved it :) ).

Cybie!

Smurgen

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #21 on: 2002-12-02 08:13:57 »
Well both companies are getting an injection of new blood with all the members merging so it can only mean good for all their franchises

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #22 on: 2002-12-08 18:27:30 »
For those of you that didn't catch the recent Enix-Square comments at a strategy conference in Tokyo
http://www.the-magicbox.com/game112902.htm

dgp9999

• View Profile
    • http://molexroots.com
Square Enix
« Reply #23 on: 2002-12-09 08:57:43 »
Funnily enough. I've never seen a copy of Dragon Quest in the stores. Neither have I heard of it @_@

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Square Enix
« Reply #24 on: 2002-12-09 19:51:14 »
No wonder, living in Norfolk :lol: