Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4885188 times)

MoCheese

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.4)
« Reply #4950 on: 2017-02-16 05:34:40 »
I'll start a thread here for FF8 NT; I'll likely need a lot of feedback to get that project into good shape because of all the different systems the game uses like level scaling. There's a document here if you're interested in having a read/writing down ideas in the meantime: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19yxhvgv-H56vZ_JPNtMV85tHyLSDfpQtqZc7xmtHrBA/edit

Cool beans, I'm going to share some of my thoughts in there.

Omega's Terra Break should deal 0 damage if Defend is used but the method I put in place to make that happen is quite sloppy; he checks for the Defend status in his pre-action AI and then loads a 0 damage version of the attack instead of the normal one. I think the timing can be missed; either way, it needs to be sorted out. I tried to make it too faithful to his FF8 counterpart when I should have just done my own thing instead. Same with FFX Nemesis, he's even more one-dimensional.

Oh it most certainly can be missed, I must've tried like, 7 - 10 times trying to get it to work and it never did. I agree on coming up with an original idea for both, would make both fights better.

MuckingFuffins

• View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: 2017-02-17 02:03:10 »
Okay, so I'm playing through new threat, which has been great so far, but I've come upon some issues I'd like to report. Some of these are probably known, but I want to make sure.

First, the Full Cure materia is supposed to be in cosmo canyon shop according to the documentation, but it seems to be missing, even after reaching disc 3.

Second, All of the level 4 limit quests seem to be bugged.
For Cloud's, nothing happens in shinra mansion's basement, but there are a bunch of documents I can read.
For Aerith's, the staircase down to the alter in the forgotten city doesn't appear.
For Red XIII, I got the key to the cave of the Gi, but I still can't open the door to the cave.
For Cait Sith, I went to the ruins of the ancient temple, where a cait sith was at the bottom of the hole, but there was no way to get down to it.
For Tifa, the piano doesn't seem to do anything, even after playing the tune.

I haven't checked the other level 4 limits.

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: 2017-02-17 03:35:51 »
Okay, so I'm playing through new threat, which has been great so far, but I've come upon some issues I'd like to report. Some of these are probably known, but I want to make sure.

First, the Full Cure materia is supposed to be in cosmo canyon shop according to the documentation, but it seems to be missing, even after reaching disc 3.

Second, All of the level 4 limit quests seem to be bugged.
For Cloud's, nothing happens in shinra mansion's basement, but there are a bunch of documents I can read.
For Aerith's, the staircase down to the alter in the forgotten city doesn't appear.
For Red XIII, I got the key to the cave of the Gi, but I still can't open the door to the cave.
For Cait Sith, I went to the ruins of the ancient temple, where a cait sith was at the bottom of the hole, but there was no way to get down to it.
For Tifa, the piano doesn't seem to do anything, even after playing the tune.

I haven't checked the other level 4 limits.

Just curious, did you reach the "point of no return", when descending the crater in disc 3? a lot of the NT quests get activated when reaching the bottom. 

MuckingFuffins

• View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: 2017-02-17 04:53:17 »
Just curious, did you reach the "point of no return", when descending the crater in disc 3? a lot of the NT quests get activated when reaching the bottom.

No I did not. As soon as I reached the northern crater and went inside, I left because I wanted to get limits and stuff to be ready for the crater... That's probably something that should be in the documentation, instead of just saying, "on disc 3". When I get a chance, I'll head through the crater and check the quests again.

Thanks for the reply.

arclitewut

• View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: 2017-02-17 11:04:04 »
No I did not. As soon as I reached the northern crater and went inside, I left because I wanted to get limits and stuff to be ready for the crater... That's probably something that should be in the documentation, instead of just saying, "on disc 3". When I get a chance, I'll head through the crater and check the quests again.

Thanks for the reply.

You need to go into the crater til you hit the point of no return normally, then you get a phonecall from the Highwind where hes talking about New Threats! After that there is an npc at the bottom where you can go back to the highwind from the  bottom, after that point you can do the limit 4 quests and other stuff like Dark Cave etc ;)

JLOUTLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: 2017-02-18 03:12:30 »
Is it possible to change the start of the NT side quests from the "point of no return" to possibly the start of disc 3? For instance, instead of going all the way down the crater maybe right when you are getting ready to make the climb down a NPC comes out and stops you to tell you about all the NT quests opening up?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: 2017-02-18 06:06:49 »
Yeah, I've been meaning to do that. Expect that to be in 1.5.

arclitewut

• View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: 2017-02-18 11:21:24 »
so is the whole Hp Materia thing etc with the new 7th Heaven and 1.5 working if you use Menu Overhaul ?

Dracozombie

• View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: 2017-02-19 02:18:17 »
Oh snap it's been a while. I'm messing around in Disc 3, and now 1.5 is going to be a thing soon. Cool. Does that include the New Game+? I forgot whether it going to be a traditional, Chrono Trigger-esque one where you keep all your levels and equipment and you get to beat up all the lowly enemies with your end-game stats, or something else. Somehow, I'm getting a picture of the ENTIRE GAME being balanced for level 99 characters, and it sounds very awesome and very painful.

I honestly wouldn't mind a few things getting moved, altered, or axed completely. I gave Omega a few half-hearted attempts, consulted GarlandTheGreat's video where you need to have the Sadness/back row AND Defend active to have any hope of surviving Terra Break (and I can never get the timing for Defend down during any circumstances), and I said, naw, screw it. It ain't worth the trouble. Same goes for Nemesis. I would not mind one bit of those two were overhauled.

But mainly I'm glad that the HP curve was fixed for the latest build, and that rank ups automatically give +5 to each stat. I can actually survive things now! And rely on party members besides Barret and Cait Sith! But ironically, it seems this build is harder than I remember. Maybe the game's balanced differently precisely because of the +5 for all stats on each rank up. Or maybe I'm just thinking of the optional bosses, which are now evenly distributed across the game instead of in one big boss rush on disc 3 and are SUPPOSED to smack you around. Or maybe I was just overconfident and underprepared and the game punished me for it. Yeah, it's probably that last one.

Oh yeah, beating Zack in Nibel Manor didn't get me Omnislash. Is it found somewhere else now, or I did I just get trolled?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: 2017-02-19 06:16:21 »
so is the whole Hp Materia thing etc with the new 7th Heaven and 1.5 working if you use Menu Overhaul ?

I'm not sure, Alyza handles the 7H Catalog but I think she was going to update it soon. 1.5 for NT isn't out yet, and I'm bogged down with end of unit assessments + a holiday abroad looming up next week.

Oh snap it's been a while. I'm messing around in Disc 3, and now 1.5 is going to be a thing soon. Cool. Does that include the New Game+? I forgot whether it going to be a traditional, Chrono Trigger-esque one where you keep all your levels and equipment and you get to beat up all the lowly enemies with your end-game stats, or something else. Somehow, I'm getting a picture of the ENTIRE GAME being balanced for level 99 characters, and it sounds very awesome and very painful.

I honestly wouldn't mind a few things getting moved, altered, or axed completely. I gave Omega a few half-hearted attempts, consulted GarlandTheGreat's video where you need to have the Sadness/back row AND Defend active to have any hope of surviving Terra Break (and I can never get the timing for Defend down during any circumstances), and I said, naw, screw it. It ain't worth the trouble. Same goes for Nemesis. I would not mind one bit of those two were overhauled.

But mainly I'm glad that the HP curve was fixed for the latest build, and that rank ups automatically give +5 to each stat. I can actually survive things now! And rely on party members besides Barret and Cait Sith! But ironically, it seems this build is harder than I remember. Maybe the game's balanced differently precisely because of the +5 for all stats on each rank up. Or maybe I'm just thinking of the optional bosses, which are now evenly distributed across the game instead of in one big boss rush on disc 3 and are SUPPOSED to smack you around. Or maybe I was just overconfident and underprepared and the game punished me for it. Yeah, it's probably that last one.

Oh yeah, beating Zack in Nibel Manor didn't get me Omnislash. Is it found somewhere else now, or I did I just get trolled?

Welcome back! It should have dropped, but the command line for it is missing. I remember fixing that though, how old is the build you're using? Are patches installed?

Dracozombie

• View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: 2017-02-19 15:49:56 »

Welcome back! It should have dropped, but the command line for it is missing. I remember fixing that though, how old is the build you're using? Are patches installed?

Everything's up to date, patches and all. Zack trolled me.

MuckingFuffins

• View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: 2017-02-20 00:05:38 »
I gotta ask something about Ultima weapon.
It's made from Heaven's Cloud and Ragnarok, and they both come from iron man (according to the documentation).
In vanilla, Iron man is past the point of no return.

Has the iron man been moved somewhere else, or is there some way to get back from the point of no return?

Seems impossible at the moment.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: 2017-02-20 00:45:24 »
Everything's up to date, patches and all. Zack trolled me.

I'll check into it.

I gotta ask something about Ultima weapon.
It's made from Heaven's Cloud and Ragnarok, and they both come from iron man (according to the documentation).
In vanilla, Iron man is past the point of no return.

Has the iron man been moved somewhere else, or is there some way to get back from the point of no return?

Seems impossible at the moment.

Iron Man can now be found on the Left/Down path.

ziyunchen

• View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: 2017-02-20 00:53:58 »
Sorry if it's already been asked. But where is the Enemy Skill materia in NT 1.4? It's not mentined in the change log or anywhere. I even watched some youtube videos and it shows RedXIII carries it when joining party. But in my game, RedXIII only carries a Sense materia.

I'm now at the end of disc 2 and haven't not seen a single E-Skill materia. I've checked all other three places where E Skill originally placed but didn't get anything.

Did I miss anything?

F-man

• View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: 2017-02-20 01:29:21 »
Sorry if it's already been asked. But where is the Enemy Skill materia in NT 1.4? It's not mentined in the change log or anywhere. I even watched some youtube videos and it shows RedXIII carries it when joining party. But in my game, RedXIII only carries a Sense materia.

I'm now at the end of disc 2 and haven't not seen a single E-Skill materia. I've checked all other three places where E Skill originally placed but didn't get anything.

Did I miss anything?

In correctly modded game Red has E. Skill instead of Sense.

ziyunchen

• View Profile
« Reply #4965 on: 2017-02-20 01:59:50 »
In correctly modded game Red has E. Skill instead of Sense.

I patched it again along with two hot fixes, it's still Sense...I have no idea what went wrong. I run 98 version.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: 2017-02-20 08:20:48 »
I patched it again along with two hot fixes, it's still Sense...I have no idea what went wrong. I run 98 version.

Did you start from a new game or a save file in Reactor No.1?

MuckingFuffins

• View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: 2017-02-21 01:11:17 »

I just wanted to state that I did not receive Omnislash either, it's not just him.

ziyunchen

• View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: 2017-02-21 05:31:29 »
No I started fresh. I remember running to the first save point almost gets killed by mobs...
I do have FFMusic installed though. Not sure if that has any impact.

ziyunchen

• View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: 2017-02-21 06:32:29 »
You know what? After Gold Saucer re-opened, Dio isn't in museum either.
I started playing in late Jan. But in the very beginning I did not apply those two hot fixes. Is that why? But now I installed both, still nothing.
The MOD is AWESOME by the way. Don't mean to sound complaining. I really enjoyed the overhauled game, like playing something new. Just a little things here and there I don't know what I did wrong...

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: 2017-02-21 22:00:07 »
I just wanted to state that I did not receive Omnislash either, it's not just him.

I checked the flevel and the line to add it is missing. I'll try and get a patch done before I go on holiday at the end of the week.

You know what? After Gold Saucer re-opened, Dio isn't in museum either.
I started playing in late Jan. But in the very beginning I did not apply those two hot fixes. Is that why? But now I installed both, still nothing.
The MOD is AWESOME by the way. Don't mean to sound complaining. I really enjoyed the overhauled game, like playing something new. Just a little things here and there I don't know what I did wrong...

Visit the bottom of the North Cave and that should unlock the Disc 3 stuff. As for why Red didn't start with Enemy Skill, I'm not sure. Did Aeris start with Barrier, Revive, and Heal equipped?

MuckingFuffins

• View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: 2017-02-22 01:44:20 »
Quick bug report.

Junon Leagues crashes the game during the brawler league when you fight Boristh, right at the start of the battle. Happens every time.

Edit: Also crashes the game upon fighting smoke in the fighter league, first battle.
« Last Edit: 2017-02-22 01:46:55 by MuckingFuffins »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: 2017-02-22 04:55:57 »
Quick bug report.

Junon Leagues crashes the game during the brawler league when you fight Boristh, right at the start of the battle. Happens every time.

Edit: Also crashes the game upon fighting smoke in the fighter league, first battle.

Sounds like enemy model data is missing. Try downloading the main installer/7H IRO again and installing it to get the battle.lgp up to date, it isn't covered in the 2 hotfix patches.

ziyunchen

• View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: 2017-02-22 05:43:53 »
Visit the bottom of the North Cave and that should unlock the Disc 3 stuff. As for why Red didn't start with Enemy Skill, I'm not sure. Did Aeris start with Barrier, Revive, and Heal equipped?
No, Aeris didn't start with those materias. I was actually wondering how people get Barrier so early when watching play through videos. Now I know...
Ok I'll get to North Cave first and see what happens. Thanks!

Xylem

• View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: 2017-02-22 08:13:24 »
I signed up specifically to tell you what an amazing job you've done on this mod.

Thank you.  I love all the random events, ESPECIALLY the gang beating Yuffie received.  I'm not even at the end of disc 1!  So I can't wait to see what else is in store for me.

Again, thank you.  Thank you thank you thank you.  I can see myself replaying this mod a few times.