Author Topic: New Project: Bombing Mission!  (Read 524888 times)

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: New Project: Bombing Mission!
« Reply #100 on: 2010-05-04 06:48:54 »
Look a bit better when ambient occlusion is added in

SL used Ambient Occlusion!
It's Super Effective!

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2010-05-04 18:00:48 »

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #102 on: 2010-05-04 20:00:48 »

+1 , WOW... now if your pardon me i have to pick my jaw up off the ground.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2010-05-04 22:01:50 »
Look a bit better when ambient occlusion is added in

Looks awesome but i rather wait for the textures to see if it's faithful to the original :b

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2010-05-05 00:00:19 »
Oh... Wow.. Just wow

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2010-05-05 03:09:58 »
Touch of color  :)

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2010-05-05 03:24:49 »
Is there any way to inject a higher resolution into FFVII?  I still see some jaggies in this render.  That goes for mentioning after the million OMG THAT IS INCREDIBLEs  ;D

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2010-05-05 03:31:54 »
Low quality render for speed purposes. The final will have no jaggies

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2010-05-05 06:27:38 »
Low quality render for speed purposes. The final will have no jaggies
To elaborate on this:

The final render will no doubt be antialiased, as well as other techniques that rendering software uses to make it look smoother. The thing is, it takes a LOT longer to render things like this. A render can take under five seconds with low resolution, no textures, and lots of jaggies, but a large, pretty, textured, clean-looking render from the exact same 3D data could take upwards of a few minutes. Then you start adding crazy lighting effects, and other such stuff, and it takes even longer.

For the final product, it's normal to put in that much time into rendering, but for a quick sample, this gets the job done just as well but is much faster. And besides, the jaggies still look better than the horribly low resolution of the original background.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2010-05-05 06:38:25 »
Full quality render with good quality occlusion takes an hour to render.

for example:

regular render (draft quality) - 35 secs
regular render (production quality) - 5 mins
render with occlusion (draft quality) - 12 mins
render with occlusion (production quality) - 1:05 mins
« Last Edit: 2010-05-05 06:46:46 by sl1982 »

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2010-05-05 08:38:06 »

for example:

This all depending on the program you use, hardware, render-engine and scene complexity of course.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2010-05-05 12:31:56 »
Those pipes in the fence are broken in the orignal?

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2010-05-05 13:53:55 »
Those pipes in the fence are broken in the orignal?

Looks like it is yeah, although on the original the gap doesn't look as big.

djkoopa

• View Profile
    • DJ Koopa Official Site
« Reply #113 on: 2010-05-05 15:36:49 »
Shout for help here - I've decided I need to advance from Sketchup to Maya but I'm struggling lol. Can anyone point me to any relevant threads/tutorials? Just help on getting my model from Sketchup into Maya would be great  :-\
Do I need Sketchup Pro or are there ways around it, seen as sketchup cannot export to a file that Maya can import.

Sl, how did you go about learning Maya, seen as it seems you started with no experience too?

Thanks guys

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2010-05-05 15:40:00 »
Just played around with it until i got the hang of it. Anything that i needed to do but couldnt figure out i would do a search on google. I am sure there are some decent tutorials out there if you dont feel like learning all on your own.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #115 on: 2010-05-05 18:59:59 »
IIRC maya has a very good help w/a really good tutorial system to show you the basic and some more advance features of it.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2010-05-05 19:15:22 »

for example:

This all depending on the program you use, hardware, render-engine and scene complexity of course.

The example i gave was for that scene using mental ray.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2010-05-06 20:16:26 »
I'm actually sad that some things are a bit "blury" and some doesn't really make much sense in Squares modeling.

I mean, in nmkin_5 there's ladders and balconies going from nowhere to nowhere. I started to try to figure out something to give them sense, like it having 3 different floors but then due to the reactor "hole" it brings that theory down. Then i thought "Hey, maybe the reactor is just a cilinder and that black shadow is really the reactor just not enough lightning to see it all", and well, it would look good, that yellowish texture just behind the reactor would be a second flood, with a fence around it and with those stairs actually going from somewhere to a third floor where you could check the top of the reactor. But somehow, i find that the curve on the top of the reactor just doesn't compute with this logical theory.

Other than that it just looks confusing with stairs going from places you can reach to places you can't reach either, some grids that also dont make sense since it wont improve the building stability, etc.

Just my point of view tho.

Images trying to explain what i wrote:

« Last Edit: 2010-05-06 20:25:27 by Nightmarish »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2010-05-06 23:54:30 »
I dunno about the base of the ladder (does it start anywhere?), but it's not at all uncommon to have balconies above that sort of thing, if there's a problem and they need maintenance, for example.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2010-05-07 01:57:40 »
I'm actually sad that some things are a bit "blury" and some doesn't really make much sense in Squares modeling.

I mean, in nmkin_5 there's ladders and balconies going from nowhere to nowhere. I started to try to figure out something to give them sense, like it having 3 different floors but then due to the reactor "hole" it brings that theory down. Then i thought "Hey, maybe the reactor is just a cilinder and that black shadow is really the reactor just not enough lightning to see it all", and well, it would look good, that yellowish texture just behind the reactor would be a second flood, with a fence around it and with those stairs actually going from somewhere to a third floor where you could check the top of the reactor. But somehow, i find that the curve on the top of the reactor just doesn't compute with this logical theory.

Other than that it just looks confusing with stairs going from places you can reach to places you can't reach either, some grids that also dont make sense since it wont improve the building stability, etc.

Just my point of view tho.

Images trying to explain what i wrote:

I dont really understand why you are complaining about the way square designed the scenes. Did it bother you much when you were playing the game for the first time or were you too busy playing the game? The same thing applies here. In any case the design is going to stay as faithful to the original as reasonably possible (No things wont be pixel perfect but the feel will be the same. Because honestly i think its a waste of time)

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2010-05-07 08:43:04 »
I wasn't really *complaining*.
It was kind of a let go of my chest. Thing is, the first time i've played the i really didn't notice the things on the walls were just hanging without no real purpose, maybe because of the lighning or maybe because of the low graphic definition, i don't know. It just hitted me after see your detailed modeling.

I hope you don't get annoyed by my constant picking on the jobs of you guys here, i know it can look like i'm trash talking about your hard work but that's not really my purpose. I just try to present a different point of view with a solid argument as positive criticism.

What I said and presented on both images in my last post are both plausible view from what we can see from the original scenario.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-07 08:44:42 by Nightmarish »

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #121 on: 2010-05-07 08:56:53 »
They put it there cause it looks cool and breaks up the scene. It's a trick a lot of artists do.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #122 on: 2010-05-07 13:46:15 »
Touch of color  :)

Well... I don't really understand why this bothers you (no offense tho). Imo, It's not really hard to imagine what purpose these things may have, besides the visual effects. In a world where you kill monsters with materialized knowledge of you ancestors, stuff like this shouldn't be hard to swallow.

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #123 on: 2010-05-08 15:44:49 »

Almost done.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2010-05-08 16:03:43 »