Author Topic: New Project: Bombing Mission!  (Read 524729 times)

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Re: New Project: Bombing Mission!
« Reply #125 on: 2010-05-08 18:24:37 »

Almost done.
Reminds me of a mini version of the Junon/Mako Cannon.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2010-05-08 18:35:01 »
sweet beans, we need to start getting these ingame :P

agreed! :D also. looking fantastic!

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2010-05-08 20:38:39 »
You know, seeing people redoing the backgrounds in modeling programs got me thinking. A while ago i started remaking the mako reactor in crysis just for fun and to see what i could do with the

editor. I never finished it because it was just a test, but i remade two of the connected areas (nmkin_3 and nmkin_4) just for the hell of it (it was never correctly scaled and all) and i tried to

remake it optimized for gameplay. The bg remakes you guys are doing made me realize, couldn't people who say, couldn't model or something help if they new how to use a tool such as the

crysis editor - and remake it the same way in that and take screenshots from the same viewpoints and try to match them to the originals?

I found an early WIP of my level - It had more stuff in it but the only one i could find was my old backup so i decided to open it and take screens.
nmkin_3

nmkin_4

They are nowhere near perfect, but with if someone (such as myself) was to make them with detail and original look rather then performance in mind, it made me think it would work well,

Since Crysis allows for a variety of realistic outdoor and indoor environments to be created through use of the sandbox editor (outdoor being easier to make look good).

What do you guys think of the idea?

CloudFR

« Reply #128 on: 2010-05-09 00:15:38 »
Can't wait !
This is awesome guy ! ;)
Good luck

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2010-05-09 08:40:54 »
Ok, I'm considering doing something for the field models since no one has claimed many of them... but I can haz kwesschuns.

First off I need to know how much detain needs to be 3D in the face, and what parts of the face are even getting detail at all...
Also, I'm going to assume we're using fists for hands, and they should likely bleed into the elbows... like the originals.

If you all recall the original characters didn't even have mouths and most characters had ambiguous noses...

IF I decide to work on this, I'll probably be taking Jessie and the Train Guards... so put them down as... ehm... well, I guess nothing really since I haven't decided yet. But my finals are finally over, so I can chill out for a while and do my own thing... I can already feel my heart beating at a steadier rhythm...

But yeah, anyway, are we modeling full faces on the field models, or are we glossing over them and using textures only, OR even still are we just leaving the eyes and that's it? (I really don't want to make a million faces... they're so annoying...)

Wedge is lookin' good BTW.

Oh yeah, and are we able to use multilevel transparency in textures yet?

I may take a look into the MonoDrive enemy... it's so small I could redesign the whole thing and no one would notice... not that I would...
Is the monodrive a biological enemy or a mechanical one? All I can tell is that it's a pink ball with loliar--tentacles...

It looks like some sort of mutant plant, but I recall it doing things like "Scanning" and calling out other very mechanoid phrases...

Anyway, if someone could please get back to me relatively soon I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: Also, here's a great place for original concept art... might not have everything, but it has a good bit.
http://www.creativeuncut.com/art_final-fantasy-7_a.html
« Last Edit: 2010-05-09 08:48:44 by Satoh »

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2010-05-09 11:21:36 »
EDIT: Also, here's a great place for original concept art... might not have everything, but it has a good bit.

It has pictures of all vehicles there! *-*

*hint hint*

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2010-05-09 14:58:05 »
Ok, I'm considering doing something for the field models since no one has claimed many of them... but I can haz kwesschuns.

First off I need to know how much detain needs to be 3D in the face, and what parts of the face are even getting detail at all...
Also, I'm going to assume we're using fists for hands, and they should likely bleed into the elbows... like the originals.

If you all recall the original characters didn't even have mouths and most characters had ambiguous noses...

IF I decide to work on this, I'll probably be taking Jessie and the Train Guards... so put them down as... ehm... well, I guess nothing really since I haven't decided yet. But my finals are finally over, so I can chill out for a while and do my own thing... I can already feel my heart beating at a steadier rhythm...

But yeah, anyway, are we modeling full faces on the field models, or are we glossing over them and using textures only, OR even still are we just leaving the eyes and that's it? (I really don't want to make a million faces... they're so annoying...)

Wedge is lookin' good BTW.

Oh yeah, and are we able to use multilevel transparency in textures yet?

I may take a look into the MonoDrive enemy... it's so small I could redesign the whole thing and no one would notice... not that I would...
Is the monodrive a biological enemy or a mechanical one? All I can tell is that it's a pink ball with loliar--tentacles...

It looks like some sort of mutant plant, but I recall it doing things like "Scanning" and calling out other very mechanoid phrases...

Anyway, if someone could please get back to me relatively soon I'd appreciate it.

I would suggest making the models much like the battle models are. SO mouth and nose. I think the eyes are actually part of the texture. My vision of things is that all models in the game have a similar level of graphical update so to speak. As for transparency in textures, yes it does work, but i am not sure if it works for all of them. What ones specifically are you interested in?

Edit: In my opinion mono drive reminds me of some sort of mutant parrot with tentacles.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-09 15:24:13 by sl1982 »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2010-05-10 01:02:58 »
Touch of color  :)

Just noticed that the camera is off just a bit, You can see it better on the first page.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2010-05-10 01:23:20 »
I wouldnt be suprised if it is. It is almost impossible to get it 100% perfect. But it is pretty close, and i believe good enough for what we are trying to do.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2010-05-10 01:25:25 »
You know, seeing people redoing the backgrounds in modeling programs got me thinking. A while ago i started remaking the mako reactor in crysis just for fun and to see what i could do with the

editor. I never finished it because it was just a test, but i remade two of the connected areas (nmkin_3 and nmkin_4) just for the hell of it (it was never correctly scaled and all) and i tried to

remake it optimized for gameplay. The bg remakes you guys are doing made me realize, couldn't people who say, couldn't model or something help if they new how to use a tool such as the

crysis editor - and remake it the same way in that and take screenshots from the same viewpoints and try to match them to the originals?

I found an early WIP of my level - It had more stuff in it but the only one i could find was my old backup so i decided to open it and take screens.
nmkin_3

nmkin_4

They are nowhere near perfect, but with if someone (such as myself) was to make them with detail and original look rather then performance in mind, it made me think it would work well,

Since Crysis allows for a variety of realistic outdoor and indoor environments to be created through use of the sandbox editor (outdoor being easier to make look good).

I swear, when I saw this I shit my pants.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2010-05-12 22:59:26 »
So i was told to put some progress in here...
been skipping around through various field files, I thought I'd show some compilation. Not everything is exactly Bombing Mission related (however the intro movie does have a huge camera move over Midgar)...

For a full size (1920x1200) click the image

Some info:
the image top-left took some 30 minutes to render (modeling took a bit longer  :-D )
only the train-pillar and the other pillars (with the stairs) are more detailed, the rest is still low-poly to be used as a template.
not a single pixel of material is on there.
program used: 3d Max

Hope you like it.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #136 on: 2010-05-12 23:05:49 »
wow very nice!

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2010-05-12 23:10:45 »
Wow!! How long did you do that?? Pretty talented. :)

djkoopa

• View Profile
    • DJ Koopa Official Site
« Reply #138 on: 2010-05-13 01:56:49 »

nmkin_3

nmkin_4

I've been working on these two backgrounds in Sketchup (see a couple pages back) but progress has slowed because I need to learn Maya and I've recently moved over to Spain so been busy with that too. Hope to get back to this in the next couple of days tho, all depends how quick I can get to grips with Maya

EDIT: Just realised I haven't posted screens in this thread so see this one for my progress in Sketchup - http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9235.msg135183#msg135183
« Last Edit: 2010-05-13 02:09:29 by djkoopa »

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2010-05-13 04:40:35 »
I was thinking to try editing backgrounds using google sketchup but what do I actually use?? Do I use sketchup Pro, Layout or Style Builder??

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2010-05-13 12:25:17 »
Great work SpooX!

djkoopa

• View Profile
    • DJ Koopa Official Site
« Reply #141 on: 2010-05-13 21:30:23 »
I was thinking to try editing backgrounds using google sketchup but what do I actually use?? Do I use sketchup Pro, Layout or Style Builder??

Just use the free version of Sketchup - and check out this thread - http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9696.0

Halkun posted some great tutorial vids there, I'd never done any kind of modelling before watching them

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2010-05-14 07:25:58 »

Just use the free version of Sketchup - and check out this thread - http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9696.0

Halkun posted some great tutorial vids there, I'd never done any kind of modelling before watching them
I have downloaded all that I need and I read in other threads that you use to merge the background pngs with photoshop. What photoshop do you use?? I use adobe but I can't find the tool to merge this images. Really hope Palmer can extract the pngs into one image only.

djkoopa

• View Profile
    • DJ Koopa Official Site
« Reply #143 on: 2010-05-14 14:16:15 »
Yea Adobe Photoshop - just open all the PNG's you extracted from Palmer (it can't merge them itself). There will be a main background one, an then a few with other layers on (doors, bits of pipe etc). Ignore any that are animations (smoke, things like that) and just copy and paste the smaller bits into the main background. Hope that makes sense I'm not very good at explaining things lol

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #144 on: 2010-05-14 16:02:16 »
I think I might try Cloud out if I can get my gf to whip me up some nice concept images..

PS:

Just noticed how bad this sounds:

if I can get my gf to whip me up
  :-o

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2010-05-14 17:09:36 »
lol i didnt know you needed that kind of motivation

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #146 on: 2010-05-14 17:11:04 »
Another cloud?
What's the matter with APZ?

Barret could use some work though :)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2010-05-14 17:13:07 »
APZ is not part of team avalanche, and i think the plan was to have one whole complete mod. Plus timu is fussy and wants a more classic looking cloud

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2010-05-14 20:30:31 »
When do you guys think this will be released?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2010-05-14 23:30:58 »
When it is done.