Author Topic: New Project: Bombing Mission!  (Read 528490 times)

Miseru

• "Help! One of my main characters is black!" - xD
    • View Profile
Re: New Project: Bombing Mission!
« Reply #700 on: 2010-07-17 18:53:31 »
 Oh lol I must be drunk, my first thought after seeing last pic "wtf* with the duck-face? XD". I think the more work is put over his face, the more chocobo-like he looks. Hah but that's good I would say, the less realistic and the more funny the better for the Chibi. + I think there is very few places in game where we can see field model from such perspective(if there is any) and surely ingame it does look differently:P.

*wtf = what the flower - censored version:P

I don't think FF9 is a good example of chibi characters, they were mostly kids with pretty much normal(as for animes) proportions and others looked chibi-like even in the battles and made in completely different style. Also fields had much more closeups to models. We should remember that in FF7 most fields show characters in a way it's hard to see detailed expression.

I would say to make some renders of it with the camera positioned like it's in most scenes in game. Quite far, from a little above and at different degrees. I'm quite sure, face in such state will give us hard time to see that "...whatever." expression Cloud should have. I have a feel we all keep forgetting this model/texture goes into game where it'll be used in certain way, not onto our windows/cellphone wallpaper:P. Making eyes/mouth bigger not smaller is my thinking here. Through it should depend on the look ingame not on the render taking whole screen with face:P.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: 2010-07-17 18:59:31 »
I don't think FF9 is a good example of chibi characters, they were mostly kids with pretty much normal(as for animes) proportions

FF9's character's weren't much younger than those of FF7, and the older ones (like Steiner and Beatrix) also had the kind of faces that I described. They certainly didn't have the same kind of proportions that you'd expect people of that age to have (Zidane was nearly an adult, for example). My point is that FF9's characters had faces that went well with chibi proportions and bodies.

We should remember that in FF7 most fields show characters in a way it's hard to see detailed expression.

That's an even better reason to use very simple faces. The more simple the faces, the easier it to see them when they're far away from the camera.

Tyr

• "To be forgotten is worse than death"
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: 2010-07-17 19:06:46 »
That is very true, and it would save hours of work. And I don't think people are running the game in such a high resolution. So if the faces are too detailed, the faces will just be a bunch of messed up pixels. But I like the way the face looks now. The question is if you will be able to blink?

I think in the original game the character could blink right? Removing the ability to blink will take away a lot of the realistic feeling you get when playing the game.

Miseru

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: 2010-07-17 20:09:13 »
That's an even better reason to use very simple faces. The more simple the faces, the easier it to see them when they're far away from the camera.

Well faces with "line" mouth and "dot/line" eyes CAN look nice too(example for dot/line eyes - CaitSith - dot on moogle, line on cat), I would see best making his lips a simple line but increasing it's size, and also increasing the size of his eyes, just increase without simplifing them.

For some refference just type "chibi smile" in google graphics, simple line looks really nice for them. Much better than actual lips.

LOL that's maybe not exactly what I mean(too kitty-style), but it's damn funny xD :

Oh and I really always thought that Zidane and Garnet or whatever they were called from ff9 were like 9yo kids while I seen cloud about 17 or something like that;P, well I'm probably wrong at both, but my memory for dates sucks and I don't really remember their ages.=]

Image Macros have a place.  And that place is Completely Unrelated.   User was warned for this post

^Explanation:
In my opinion it was related, I inserted an image to show that smile made out of just a "line" looks good at Chibi version. Sure it's not exactly same character, nor exactly same style of smile which I noted above. I just linked it from google graphic find, it's not mine so I didn't edited any of it respecting unknown author. Sorry if I was wrong. >.>
« Last Edit: 2010-07-18 18:17:42 by Miseru »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: 2010-07-17 20:12:45 »
Oh and I really always thought that Zidane and Garnet or whatever they were called from ff9 were like 9yo kids while I seen cloud about 17 or something like that;P, well I'm probably wrong at both

Yes you are. ;D

Cloud was 21 and Zidane and Garnet were 16. The FF9 characters weren't all adults, but besides Vivi and Eiko they weren't children either.

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: 2010-07-17 20:21:33 »
Why does chibi cloud even need a mouth or nose?  He sure didn't have those originally and I sorta like that.

Also has anyone considered making the lips much smaller on the battle model?  It seems out of place against the CG cutscene Cloud model.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: 2010-07-17 20:24:31 »
note, the cg cutscene cloud is largely being replaced by a nicely rendered battle cloud :P... just givin u guys the heads up lol.

Miseru

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: 2010-07-17 20:33:05 »
 I guess I looked on their age by their sizes, obviously asians have different standards for height:P.  Hehe xD.

Some other chibis:

^Too emo and small smile, but nice eye size:P maybe even "too nice"

^much better smile kind of "I don't care whatever happens", hard to find same for Cloud, dunno why people draw him mostly as badass or sweet pink little Aerith kisser. In game he's taking everything cool for most of the time.

How cloud smile should look based on emotes:
:) - wrong he's not an lego character,
:] - good enough,
:D - hell no,
:< - go and cut yourself.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: 2010-07-17 21:03:28 »
Why does chibi cloud even need a mouth or nose?  He sure didn't have those originally and I sorta like that.

Actually, even though i liked that too about the chibi, there is a mouth on the original model. Just the game is so low resolution by default you can't even make it out from the distance the game's cameras usually are. I'm not sure if it had no nose, or if it was just the lighting.

And I don't think people are running the game in such a high resolution. So if the faces are too detailed, the faces will just be a bunch of messed up pixels.

My native resolution that i run the game in is 1680x1050
« Last Edit: 2010-07-17 21:41:13 by bloodshot »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: 2010-07-17 21:27:49 »
That is very true, and it would save hours of work. And I don't think people are running the game in such a high resolution. So if the faces are too detailed, the faces will just be a bunch of messed up pixels. But I like the way the face looks now. The question is if you will be able to blink?

I think in the original game the character could blink right? Removing the ability to blink will take away a lot of the realistic feeling you get when playing the game.

I am running the game near 1920x1440

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: 2010-07-18 01:07:09 »
I know this might be offensive to people so I'll just link to it since maybe you forgot about his. He has done a good chibi model.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/apz_freak/APZCloudScreenshot7.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/apz_freak/APZCloudFieldFunny.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/apz_freak/APZCloudWIP26.jpg
And I must say FF7 chibi and FF9 chibi is very different. FF7 has a side of look that is funny to it while FF9 is also kind of funny but it gives us a sign that they're kids because in the FMV's and battle they look the same, they are still chibi.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: 2010-07-18 04:57:15 »
Except FF7 isn't really chibi, it's super-deformed. Though similar, they're NOT the same.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: 2010-07-18 05:08:45 »
If I were going to suggest any changes (which I don't really think need to be made).
I'd say:
1) Make his eye's bigger.
2) Make his chest bigger.
3) Recede his chin a bit.

Also, since we're posting pics of chibi cloud kawaii ne?

But I love this chibicloud and will be blissfully happy with it.

Tyr

• "To be forgotten is worse than death"
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: 2010-07-18 09:25:38 »
Where is the list of models that needs to be made. I could give you a hand.

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: 2010-07-18 10:53:30 »

Check first page.

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #715 on: 2010-07-18 11:33:48 »

If you model the mono drive I can try to texture it

E:/ Can UV it as well, so you just need to model it. You might want to import the original model into your 3d program of choice and model over it so you get the proportions right. Might even want to model it as mesh pieces like the original one is so that when exporting it into FF7 one doesn't need to split the model and fuck with the UVs then.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-18 11:46:47 by Millenia »

Mr. Ite

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: 2010-07-18 23:50:06 »

...much better smile kind of "I don't care whatever happens", hard to find same for Cloud, dunno why people draw him mostly as badass or sweet pink little Aerith kisser. In game he's taking everything cool for most of the time.

I believe the word you are looking for is 'smirk.' I wouldn't be opposed to a smirk option, but the problem is that whatever TA gives him will be there for every moment of the game. Considering one of the only times his face is front and centre is at the end of Disc 1, I don't know if giving him an expression at all is going to be helpful. In my opinion, the more neutral, the better. Anything but the PCs default inksmudge-mouth.

Also, great work guys! Don't let us rush you. I will wait forever for this. I will cure old age so that I can wait for this.

dragowulf

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: 2010-07-19 08:40:11 »
I actually like your cloud model.  Looks great.  However I think Cloud looks way too clean.  He looks like what I would envision Prince Harry to look like in battle.  He is battle ridden yet looks like he hasn't worked a day in his life.  I think his hair needs to be dirty blonde rather than bleach blonde.  His clothing is also too wayyy too bright imo.

Other than that it's awesome.

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #718 on: 2010-07-19 14:41:02 »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: 2010-07-19 14:44:11 »
Amazing image

-pushes start and selects save- :D

okay done joking haha. Looks great man. Not sure if possible but isn't it suppose to be kinda transparent?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: 2010-07-19 14:46:06 »
He looks like what I would envision Prince Harry to look like in battle. 

This is Prince Harry in battle ;D

(pic goes here)

Save point's looking good; would be great to see it in game 8)

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #721 on: 2010-07-19 14:46:48 »
I think I'll need a change of pants.
Honestly after all the time I spent getting the original save model back from the PRP patch that is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen posted here.
 :'( so beautiful

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #722 on: 2010-07-19 15:46:06 »
<new save point picture>

sweet millenia, sorry again about the [ part of the save point, hopefully you were able to use the rest of my model...
« Last Edit: 2010-07-19 15:55:42 by sithlord48 »

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: 2010-07-19 16:17:55 »

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: 2010-07-19 16:33:59 »
Hey sorry to raise the dead and be slightly off topic but someone mentioned earlier in this thread that apz's cloud wasn't completely original and I checked the thread and it looks like it's been closed because he swiped UV maps.  This is quite sad.  Can someone offer up more details on what happened?  Does that mean this is now the must-have cloud battle model? 

Mod edit: I fail to see how this has anything to do with the topic.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-19 16:58:02 by sl1982 »