Author Topic: New Project: Bombing Mission!  (Read 529766 times)

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
Re: New Project: Bombing Mission!
« Reply #750 on: 2010-07-20 22:23:58 »
Enter the Reactor...

and go down...

untill you light the fuse....

hmm still some floating parts....
beware, the clock will be running....  ::)

oh, if you wonder why I'm redoing NMKIN_5, well it is all one single big room...

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: 2010-07-20 23:24:55 »
nice spoox, nice as it is, i'd request you not continue on nmkin 5, as its fully modeled, and being textured now, and is in the opposite direction. You do great work, and I'd rather you spend your time on what we havnt made yet.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: 2010-07-21 00:18:25 »
Honestly his will most likely turn out better then mine anyways. And they are all one big scene so having them all together would help with texturing i would gather.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: 2010-07-21 00:26:49 »
very well :P

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #754 on: 2010-07-21 03:00:19 »
There are other reactors :)

cloud valentine

« Reply #755 on: 2010-07-21 07:36:36 »
im new here,,, nice to meet you all, ahmm, could this be work without installing aalis custom driver?. thnx.

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #756 on: 2010-07-21 07:52:38 »
im new here,,, nice to meet you all, ahmm, could this be work without installing aalis custom driver?. thnx.

Not really, all the assets are too high-res to be used without it and on top of that, our installation method will most probably make heavy use of Aali's driver features.

Why would you NOT use Aali's driver anyways?

Miseru

• "Help! One of my main characters is black!" - xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: 2010-07-21 08:09:52 »
 Well that's rather not a topic for such question and surely there is stuff from this mod you can't run without Aali's custom driver, generally you can't even install it without this driver, but you can always backup your ff7 registry/config after full install, add custom driver, install TA mod, kick new driver out and restore registry/config and then customize stuff that could work especially resizing new textures to low res as keeping 2k+ x 2k+ textures on 640x480 game is quite useless.
 Practically if you would get some modding tools from here and borrow some common sense from someone else(that's all for the guy asking not you Millenia:P) you could get most of this stuff running on PC just little above minimal config for original game. Through seeing your post I'm guessing you aren't good at reading/learning stuff on your own meaning you have good pc(hehe what a relation=]) and see no point in installing all this without Aali's driver:O. Soo just go and install Aali's driver, name can be confusing if you know a little to none about your system, so if you are affraid - no it's not a driver which replaces your system's hardware drivers, just a custom driver that stands between THIS(ff7/8) old game and new hardware=].

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: 2010-07-21 09:09:46 »
SpooX for the win.
Although i like you being doing all maps, i think you should finish one first before jumping to another. That way other could start working on texturing it. This way we'll have 1~2 maps 100% done instead of 5~6 undone.

I'm just sayin  8)

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: 2010-07-21 22:22:42 »
Why would you NOT use Aali's driver anyways?

5 bucks on pirated game.

Also, a question, what will happen to Cloud's lighting until dynamic lighting gets implemented ?  He's currently extremely bright compared to Barret and since your post implies dyn lighting isn't for tomorow ...
« Last Edit: 2010-07-21 22:26:00 by Marc »

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: 2010-07-21 23:52:36 »
I'm not certain how battle lighting is handled now but if it is self illumining then mill could just make it darker to match Barrett.

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #761 on: 2010-07-22 03:35:22 »
It is self-illuminated at the moment, but I'll rather lighten Barret up so he won't look pitch-black with ingame lighting when we get that..

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: 2010-07-24 05:22:02 »
MWAHAHAHA I have figured out UV mapping! (LVL UP!)

Tell me, did I do a good UV on your save point there TA? And ima practice texturing on it too.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #763 on: 2010-07-24 09:10:33 »
UV mapping is a very tricky art. You really want to pack as much data and reuse every textel you can. For example, that layout above is very wasteful! You need to learn how to pack what you have together better. Good start though

Clodus

• Just a lowly fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: 2010-07-24 09:12:26 »
Is that the save point you're working on? Thank you very much! Also, will there be a demo/video of these maps in game? I'm really looking forward to seeing a little bit more added, if it's on par with the original. (Such as steam blowing out of more pipes instead of just near the reactor.)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: 2010-07-24 09:17:47 »
So are you saying fill the entire image up halkun? How about my part alignment? All segments that touch are connected where they touch.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #766 on: 2010-07-24 11:39:38 »
you can overlap mappings if they have the same texture. Even wonder why the faces on square UVs only have one side, ever notice that the bodies are warped in strange ways. Squish everything together and don't be afraid to overlap and make thingsbigger/smaller so you can cram something in. Just because it's a particular size on the model doesn't mean it has to be the same size in the UV map.

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #767 on: 2010-07-24 12:41:12 »
UV mapping is a very tricky art. You really want to pack as much data and reuse every textel you can. For example, that layout above is very wasteful! You need to learn how to pack what you have together better. Good start though

Tbh though comfortability for the texture artist > texel density in most cases imo. I personally hate mirroring and overlapping :p

Also, you wouldn't have had to UV it jeff, it had a perfectly fine (if not wasteful) uv map already
« Last Edit: 2010-07-24 12:44:28 by Millenia »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: 2010-07-24 12:49:20 »
It was cool, I enjoyed it, wanna send me over some models that havent been UV'ED and lemme give em a shot?

Recent work----Mendeleviums sword. I messed up 1 face at the very end and I dont know how to step back in the UV edit window...

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: 2010-07-25 22:47:27 »
Tbh though comfortability for the texture artist > texel density in most cases imo. I personally hate mirroring and overlapping :p

Also, you wouldn't have had to UV it jeff, it had a perfectly fine (if not wasteful) uv map already
Back in the day you didn't have the luxuries you have today. However you might need to be very careful about abusing the UV mapped data in FF7's engine. It's quite dated and it's DB system is likely fairly limited as well. The models are they way they are for a reason. They didn't just color the polygons vertices because "it was cool". They probably had an early data budget. It appears they blew the budget on the CGI movies though as they have 3 sets of data (disks) in the original game.

For save points you probably can stick with colored vertices just as easily as doing UV mapped polygons. They scale very nicely (have you looked at the game in a PS1 emulator at 1600x1200 it looks perfectly fine despite the low poly count models) namely because they aren't saddled with bitmap resolution (resolution independent) for there appearance. If you increase the save point poly count I doubt that would be a problem however once you stick a bitmap on something scaling resolution becomes an issue.

That all said the basic engine may work fine I would be most concerned with making the database too large for the engine to handle (IE indexes out of range). My guess is you should stick under 2gigs (should be able to do that if you don't go UV map crazy).  They made games the way they did for a reason (especially UV maps) as bitmaps eat huge amounts of space (even compressed).

Halkun how big is the data for FF7 in the PC excluding movies?

Cyb

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #770 on: 2010-07-26 06:03:06 »

How mine looks like btw..

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: 2010-07-26 14:13:27 »
does the fire have 3 layers? it is animated (just rotating) you could likely just make 3 of the same circle, just for when whoever imports, that it doesnt become very static.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #772 on: 2010-07-26 21:39:49 »
Here you go, here's my UV from above!

All the data at half the size :) This is how you should do a UV map.

=== Ninja Edit ==
« Last Edit: 2010-07-26 22:02:57 by halkun »

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #773 on: 2010-07-27 03:37:33 »
Good point Halkun :P

I'm too obsessive at stitching every little piece together tbh..

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: 2010-07-27 22:00:54 »
Good point Halkun :P

I'm too obsessive at stitching every little piece together tbh..
heh if that's the worst thing you do count yourself blessed :D

Erstwhile each facet on the crystal is similarly shaped triangles you can form the 4 long and short facets into a single rhomboid shape one for short and one for long as an example (that's what I would attempt).
The advantage is that you have more area dedicated to the actual texture. There are lots of other things one can do (repeating patterns in the flame for example) and layering.  I would suggest experimenting. That's how one learns things (by making mistakes or getting feedback from others).

Cyb