Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] HD FMV Replacement  (Read 44788 times)

zwuw

• View Profile
« Last Edit: 2018-04-29 15:02:33 by zwuw »

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] HD FMV Replacement
« Reply #1 on: 2016-04-27 20:33:27 »
That looks really fine! But maybe a little short tu judge it.

zwuw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-04-27 21:46:36 »
Added "Escape from Dollet" video, I'll try to add one or two more for comparison.

zwuw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-04-28 22:03:30 »
Zell and Selphie comparison videos:

https://mega.nz/#!AUNVSSKL!5DCJMJdIWB7IrUb2Ykxrs30ulGZjFn0hh4YZnM4Wyng
https://mega.nz/#!sBlV0ICa!23lfoDCwq-16k0TUh_rTZxHBCbQtPAivTGNce84ACCU

First source has only colorspace conversion. Second source has luma/chroma changes.

greator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-07-06 14:53:15 »
Great work! Somehow for Selphie video I like the left one better?
another thing is is there a way to change the framerate from 15fps to 30 maybe?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-07-06 20:59:26 »
It's not really HD - not when it's just been upscaled (even if enhanced) from the original PC 640 * 448.  Sorry, but it's one of my pet hates when something is labelled HD solely on the resolution number.

Saying that, these do look nicer - albeit there is a plastic look to them that you often get when trying to enhance / remove noise from a low resolution video.
« Last Edit: 2016-07-06 21:02:09 by DLPB »

greator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-07-07 16:24:35 »
I've downloaded both replacement FMV pack from LeonhartGR's and Kayael's.
From my point of view even with LeonhartGR's 1080p upscale, I think the original steam version videos is much better. They are more sharper.

Probably because they took the source from the old PC version, not the steam version. Maybe.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-07-07 21:09:09 »
Oh, yeah, you definitely need to be taking the source from the old version - as that's what the Steam version has v likely used.  Using Steam version is a double loss.

zwuw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2016-07-11 15:59:09 »
It is possible to convert these videos to 30fps and it solves many of the problems caused by lousy compression and framerate change on the original videos. Unfortunately that conversion causes in some videos heavy ghosting and artifacts which seem unavoidable no matter which programs, plugins or settings I use. There are some videos in which that conversion is done with less visible artifacts and gives a better visual experience like this one:

30fps
http://www16.zippyshare.com/v/IRvtGPWs/file.html
Steam Version
http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/uas4ftKd/file.html

I wrote HD not because I want higher resolution videos, steam and other people already done that, it's because I want higher definition videos. All the upscaled projects, including steam, have a lot of detail loss, it's possible to do a better upscaling, clean most of the mess of the original videos and keep most of the detail, it just needs a lot of work and time. More feedback would also be great.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-07-11 18:23:14 »
What program did you use to increase the FPS? I would like to test it with FF7. But keep in mind the script is designed for FMVs with 15FPS.

zwuw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-07-12 12:03:55 »
I used Interframe plugin for Avisynth in the last video. In some cases, it's best to use SVPflow, as long as you read well the documentation and know what you're doing.

zwuw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-07-16 03:18:55 »
29 videos edited:

https://mega.nz/#!mlgX0aZQ!Og6FK7EIZmoH0XFbiploIjqkvvoFQDhQm2czu3vd0Ow

I intend to edit the rest of the videos before fixing framerate issues and restoring important microdetails in these videos. If you think I'm doing something wrong or have any tips to improve quality please tell me.

greator

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2016-07-17 17:25:29 »
30fps looks great on that video.

Yeah there's some ghosting like you said but its really hard to notice unless you look really hard at those details.

I can say your videos are much better than steam.

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 2016-07-18 00:15:01 »
29 videos edited:

https://mega.nz/#!mlgX0aZQ!Og6FK7EIZmoH0XFbiploIjqkvvoFQDhQm2czu3vd0Ow

I intend to edit the rest of the videos before fixing framerate issues and restoring important microdetails in these videos. If you think I'm doing something wrong or have any tips to improve quality please tell me.

While the clips look much better at 30FPS, the game might force them back to 15FPS. But I guess we'll have to see on that. After testing out your clips, it seems it causes the same bug that Kayeal ran into and that's invisible characters after the FMVs.

I'm not sure if this is due to the codec you're using(for Kayeal, it was the codec) but I figured I'd let you know. It'd be a shame for you to go through all this work only for the clips to have to be redone in some way. :(
« Last Edit: 2016-07-18 00:20:53 by FatedCourage »

zwuw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2016-07-18 21:46:10 »
Thank you for telling me about that error. I already checked and it's the codec I was using, with VP8 it works fine.

The two videos converted to 30fps are playing well ingame, it doesn't lock at 15fps. Framerate conversion is not my priority right now but I will definitely do it on more videos, especially the ones with a lot of judder.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 2016-07-19 02:53:48 »
Thank you for telling me about that error. I already checked and it's the codec I was using, with VP8 it works fine.

The two videos converted to 30fps are playing well ingame, it doesn't lock at 15fps. Framerate conversion is not my priority right now but I will definitely do it on more videos, especially the ones with a lot of judder.

Glad to hear it. :D I can't wait to see/use the final product once you're finished. I'm also wondering if it's worth adding the PSX audio into the PC clips like Kayeal did? I know there is some distortion in the audio in the PC version. It's not a big deal or anything. Just curious.

Ah, I see. That's good to know on the 30FPS videos.

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2016-07-19 13:16:54 »
I believe Halfer found it in assembly - there is FPS limiter indeed in the game. Switching it off makes the game act like speed booster on Steam version. There are two movie playing functions in engine, every single points to core movie playing algorithm, that every time disables the FPS lock, therefore anytime movie is played, the fps limit is dropped and as soon as the movie ends, the frame limiter is again set. Forcing frame limiter on movie makes it go with normal speed, but displays only 1/2 of frames. It's like a frame skipping on movie. The frame limiter variable is operated only from movie playing sub-functions [or at least IDA shows it so]
I have never tested it personally, but the game should display any FPS movie.

zwuw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2016-07-19 19:58:18 »
The videos I posted were muxed with the audio from Kayael's release, it saved me a lot of time and work. The two videos converted to 30fps were tested by replacing the intro video(disc00_30h) just to confirm if videos would run at that framerate. But because of what Maki said, I decided to test a 30fps video with gameplay elements like the comm tower video and this happened:

http://imgur.com/a/qjgBj

The video also finishes earlier than it should be. If someone has any ideas on how to fix this please tell me. Thanks

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2016-07-19 21:09:54 »
The videos I posted were muxed with the audio from Kayael's release, it saved me a lot of time and work. The two videos converted to 30fps were tested by replacing the intro video(disc00_30h) just to confirm if videos would run at that framerate. But because of what Maki said, I decided to test a 30fps video with gameplay elements like the comm tower video and this happened:

http://imgur.com/a/qjgBj

The video also finishes earlier than it should be. If someone has any ideas on how to fix this please tell me. Thanks

I don't know how far Myst6re tool Deling is capable of editing the timings (like wait x seconds or something which depends on the current frame), but you should take a look at it and see if you can modify the field scripts for the new 30fps movies.

zwuw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2016-11-11 00:04:05 »
Updated first post with download link for the complete video pack. There are still things I need to fix and most of the videos were not tested ingame.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: 2016-11-11 00:46:39 »
Updated first post with download link for the complete video pack. There are still things I need to fix and most of the videos were not tested ingame.

Yes! Thank you. I was waiting for this. :D I'll test them all out for ya.

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2016-11-19 10:28:44 »
These are a great improvement over the steam modified ones i had, lots of detail and the image is clean for the most part, Great job!

greator

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2017-09-15 18:22:01 »
Any new progress with this or is this considered complete?

zwuw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2017-10-07 13:41:59 »
Yes, it's complete.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-07 13:55:23 by zwuw »

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #24 on: 2017-10-08 01:56:38 »
I believe Halfer found it in assembly - there is FPS limiter indeed in the game. Switching it off makes the game act like speed booster on Steam version. There are two movie playing functions in engine, every single points to core movie playing algorithm, that every time disables the FPS lock, therefore anytime movie is played, the fps limit is dropped and as soon as the movie ends, the frame limiter is again set. Forcing frame limiter on movie makes it go with normal speed, but displays only 1/2 of frames. It's like a frame skipping on movie. The frame limiter variable is operated only from movie playing sub-functions [or at least IDA shows it so]
I have never tested it personally, but the game should display any FPS movie.

You said halfer found the block... is there a way to lock the frame limiter to 30fps for everything?  world/battle/menu??? right now it's set at 15 fps for battles, 30fps for world, and 60 fps for menu

Sorry for temporarily hijacking the thread.  If you'd like, you can always pm me the answer, Maki :)