Author Topic: FF8 Triple Triad HD (New release! ~ Tripod)  (Read 33301 times)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Re: FF8 Triple Triad HD Project
« Reply #25 on: 2014-06-09 10:33:07 »
Bringing this post back to life with some updated artwork and some hope!  Check the original post for the links to the new HD backgrounds for the Triple Triad HD game.

I'm also working on upscaling the in-game text/numbers/elemental icons. Here's to progress! The Edit

At the moment, all I have to say is...

I Love You, Omzy!
« Last Edit: 2014-06-09 20:13:21 by Mcindus »

Shunsq

• 20 years to mod a game, that's insanely long
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2014-06-09 18:08:29 »
Hi Mcindus!
After upscaling some field backgrounds i'm now investigating about the menu icons and character avatars. The coordinates for the icons are in the icon.sp1 and for the characters in face.sp2. The two files are structured differently. Face.sp2 has a 4 byte header, followed by 256*4-bytes that define the offset for each 16-bytes word pointing to the tiles in the texture.
For example you have at the beginning:
Code: [Select]
40 00 00 00  04  01 00 00 ........The first 4 bytes are the file header. The following 4 bytes is the offset of the first tile pointer (x104). You then go down to this offset to read the 16 bytes word defining the tile.

Code: [Select]
01 00 00 00 00 00 20 36 20 00 30 00 00 00 8E 00From left to right:
-It always start with 01 00 00 00
-00 is the destX position of the first tile  in pixels
-00 is the destY position of the first tile
-20 is the page of the texture ( 20 or 60 actually)
-36 is unknown
-20 is the sizeX of the tile ( each head is 32 by 48 pixels)
-00 is the x offset in the menu ( the texture is moved to the left)
-30 is sizeY
-00 is the y offset in the menu
-it always ends with 00 00 8E 00

You have to notice that each "texture page"(16*16-bytes ) appears twice in the file.

I've managed to change the pointers so that the game show another face.
Anyway i don't know how the game manages to use two .TEX for only one .sp2. Would it be possible to use even more ?

NOTE: For unknown reasons Deling.exe cannot compress correctly FACE.SP2 and ICON.SP1 so i use FF8 archive commander instead.

« Last Edit: 2014-06-09 18:19:00 by Shunsq »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #27 on: 2014-06-11 06:36:32 »
Hi Mcindus!
After upscaling some field backgrounds i'm now investigating about the menu icons and character avatars. The coordinates for the icons are in the icon.sp1 and for the characters in face.sp2.

I've managed to change the pointers so that the game show another face.
Anyway i don't know how the game manages to use two .TEX for only one .sp2. Would it be possible to use even more ?

NOTE: For unknown reasons Deling.exe cannot compress correctly FACE.SP2 and ICON.SP1 so i use FF8 archive commander instead.

Hi Shunsq!
You are amazing!  Thank you so much!
Between you and Omzy, I think we might have a bright future ahead of us for FF8.

Also - updated my original post with an updated Background art image - I decided to draw in some missing bits by hand and feel that it turned out really well.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2014-06-15 00:07:22 »
Thanks a lot Shunsq! This is exactly what I was looking for; Deling just keep the game crashing on every face.sp2 editing.

All sizeX, sizeY, posX and posY values are working fine; I've imported the 2 avatars files 200% their original size but how do I solve this ? (don't pay attention the weird texture colors)

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2014-06-15 19:49:25 »
Hey Mcindus, your cards looks great but I was thinking in trying to get the closest look to the original card; these are not perfect but here's a quick preview of what I mean:

Also, the card selection board is loosing quite a lot of details, I've made this one using other resizing method:
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/24/1402861157-4x.png

I'm really excited about this project so let me know your thoughts!

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #30 on: 2014-06-15 23:58:08 »
Hey Mcindus, your cards looks great but I was thinking in trying to get the closest look to the original card; these are not perfect but here's a quick preview of what I mean:
Also, the card selection board is loosing quite a lot of details, I've made this one using other resizing method:
Any chance you can send me that board image you're resizing? I'd like to combine it with the hand-drawn elements and see if I can create an even better background!

Wow! Nice cards! Are you using the enemy model viewer to make those?  I love them.  Mine are all based off the IRL TT game and I've found out that they're a little stretched out when I put them in game, so I'm working on another edit to make the borders better and fix the aspect ratio... but in the meantime...

Check the main post for some really exciting news!

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2014-06-16 00:23:24 »
Sounds great! This is actually the first thing I've noticed: most of the enemies are entirely displayed making the monster too small sometimes. I'm using the enemy model viewer aswell; did you manage to insert your card set in-game yet ? How does it look ?

Also, make sure to preserve the exact same main background for both board card selection and the main board (brightness and shadows are different). I'll work on the main board later manually drawing the "Triple Triad" text and cards slots but yeah original textures are ridiculously small.

4x resized board card selection:
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/25/1402877803-resi.png

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2014-06-16 00:33:43 »
Isn't it possible to put over an painted like filter over the images with Photoshop/Gimp? It would also look better if the cards would get a used and a slightly dirty look. Anyway it's great work so far

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #33 on: 2014-06-16 03:14:01 »
Isn't it possible to put over an painted like filter over the images with Photoshop/Gimp? It would also look better if the cards would get a used and a slightly dirty look. Anyway it's great work so far

Yes, definitely - but for the first release, since we're dealing with 4x quality, etc. I wanted to go minimal and as close to the original as possible.

Kain2

• View Profile
Re: FF8 Triple Triad HD (New release! ~ Tripod)
« Reply #34 on: 2014-07-28 16:10:40 »
New Background:
HD Background

New Game Mat:
HD Game Mat

HD Replacement

Hello, I would like to try and make a Triple Triad game for android, and I want to ask permission to use the above materials.

If you allow me to use those materials, please tell me if and how you want to be credited.
If permission to use these graphics is not granted, I will completely understand and will not bother you any more about it.

*IF* I manage to actually make the game (I'm still a bit inexperienced at programming so it might be above my abilities), I will release it for free, since I don't really want to make any profit out of it, but only to have a decent looking Triple Triad game that I can play on my tablet. :-)

Thank you in advance for your time. :-)

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2014-07-28 17:38:19 »
I will release it for free, since I don't really want to make any profit out of it, but only to have a decent looking Triple Triad game that I can play on my tablet.
You won't have any choice in this matter either. The game is part of FFVIII so it's Square Enix intellectual property. Even if it would be on a grey zone, I guess the letter you would get from the SE layer would convince to abdomen the project.
But there should be no problem if you make it for free.

By the way, what is the marketing department actually doing by Square. They publish a bunch of stupid game ideas for mobiles, but to create and publish a triple traid game for free, with the 'option' to buy some booster packs, is beyond there horizon? But even if they would do it, they would propably demand an abnormal high price for a simple booster pack and would destroy the game with it.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #36 on: 2014-07-28 19:05:29 »
Hello, I would like to try and make a Triple Triad game for android, and I want to ask permission to use the above materials.

If you allow me to use those materials, please tell me if and how you want to be credited.
If permission to use these graphics is not granted, I will completely understand and will not bother you any more about it.

*IF* I manage to actually make the game (I'm still a bit inexperienced at programming so it might be above my abilities), I will release it for free, since I don't really want to make any profit out of it, but only to have a decent looking Triple Triad game that I can play on my tablet. :-)

Thank you in advance for your time. :-)

You can use my art on these conditions:

1. You release this app as 100% Freeware
2. You find a way to link to the main post of this thread in your app. (button/ad/etc)
3. You also credit the art to MCINDUS at forums.qhimm.com in your credits area.

Permission is granted only if all points above are maintained through the life of your app.

-MCINDUS-

Kain2

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2014-07-28 20:09:47 »
You can use my art on these conditions:

1. You release this app as 100% Freeware
2. You find a way to link to the main post of this thread in your app. (button/ad/etc)
3. You also credit the art to MCINDUS at forums.qhimm.com in your credits area.

Permission is granted only if all points above are maintained through the life of your app.

-MCINDUS-

Thank you very much for your answer. :-)

IF I actually manage to make the game, I will see that all of these conditions will be met. You will also be asked again for approval just before release.

I have seen a few Triple Triad games in the Android store with paid versions, so I just wanted to make clear from the start that I do not intend to make any profit at all out of it. All I want is a decent Triple Triad game for my Android devices, and since the existing ones do not meet my expectations as a player, I just want to try and make one myself.

As I said, though, I'm still quite inexperienced at programming, so I might fail spectacularly and never finish this project. But I will still try. :-)

Again, thank you very much. :-)

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #38 on: 2014-07-29 01:17:17 »
Thank you very much for your answer. :-)

IF I actually manage to make the game, I will see that all of these conditions will be met. You will also be asked again for approval just before release.

No problem! Glad you have a goal in mind.  also - I would like you to link to the original Tripod post when you do, not this one.

I'm glad people out there are enjoying my work!