Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4836589 times)

Fauve

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #8175 on: 2019-07-06 07:40:58 »
Big thanks to Loveless for the donation, I really appreciate it bud; I've got a lot planned for the final update, particularly the Arrange mode.
Will the next update revise only arrange mode or the mod as a whole?

Also I just found out that each character has a 5th option to choose from in the rank up menu. Is there a place that lists all the builds for the characters? The current readme only lists 4 rank up options for every character.

« Last Edit: 2019-07-06 10:07:11 by Fauve »

Maziac

• View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: 2019-07-06 09:11:53 »
Think I found an error;

After recruiting Vincent I went to rank up characters. Didn't check his stats before I started ranking so I look at his stats from the rank up menu option. After going back to choosing which stats to get, I found only options with reduced rank points. STR +2, VIT +2 and so on. I hit the stats menu again and went back to choosing stats. This 2nd time every stat was at +0.. I picked up the upgrades and went to look at his stats screen, indeed, there was 0 improvement to his stats. Thankfully I had saved right before ranking :D

Also, I'd like if you implemented a visual for which rank the characters are, I see the characters SP but not always sure who is which rank. I rotate my team around to keep everyone roughly the same level and rank, except Cloud who is forced in the party, he's got a bit of a lead.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-06 10:06:22 by Maziac »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: 2019-07-06 12:40:19 »
Will the next update revise only arrange mode or the mod as a whole?

Also I just found out that each character has a 5th option to choose from in the rank up menu. Is there a place that lists all the builds for the characters? The current readme only lists 4 rank up options for every character.

It'll be the mod as a whole, but I'm doing field scripting for Arrange.

The readme is a bit behind s:

Think I found an error;

After recruiting Vincent I went to rank up characters. Didn't check his stats before I started ranking so I look at his stats from the rank up menu option. After going back to choosing which stats to get, I found only options with reduced rank points. STR +2, VIT +2 and so on. I hit the stats menu again and went back to choosing stats. This 2nd time every stat was at +0.. I picked up the upgrades and went to look at his stats screen, indeed, there was 0 improvement to his stats. Thankfully I had saved right before ranking :D

Also, I'd like if you implemented a visual for which rank the characters are, I see the characters SP but not always sure who is which rank. I rotate my team around to keep everyone roughly the same level and rank, except Cloud who is forced in the party, he's got a bit of a lead.

Is that the randomiser? There seems to be some sort of logical bug in it where the generated rank up is reduced when checking the menu.

I could try and add the current rank to the SP checker at save points. I was planning to drop SP altogether from the next update and just have ranks unlock at specific points in the story/after certain fights but in the meantime I could try and add that.

Maziac

• View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: 2019-07-06 13:05:30 »

Is that the randomiser? There seems to be some sort of logical bug in it where the generated rank up is reduced when checking the menu.

I could try and add the current rank to the SP checker at save points. I was planning to drop SP altogether from the next update and just have ranks unlock at specific points in the story/after certain fights but in the meantime I could try and add that.

Yeah I'm playing randomized Arrange mode. I've always loved adding the random element challenge to games so I'll have to make the most of what I get and make it work. The 4 randomized rank ups to choose from are pretty nice, so it's likely I won't get screwed over too bad, but I would like to try a hardcore randomizer where I get no choice at all, just add the sources and see what I got.

Dropping SP could be neat to prevent overleveling and thus overpowering bosses easily. I'm at Mt. Nibel Armour Keeper right now and so far haven't done any grinding except backtracking a bit for some enemy skills I missed, and morphing some stuff. But I'm not running from any encounters either. So far I haven't had too much trouble with any bosses. Everything feels pretty well balanced, harder bosses really pushing the limits of my characters.

So if you'll drop SP and have all characters rank up at the same spots I don't think you should bother adding a visual for who is which rank.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-06 14:54:05 by Maziac »

Beth_Esda

• View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: 2019-07-06 15:15:14 »
Is there a way to respec characters? It's np if there isn't - was just curious. Can't wait for the new version!

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: 2019-07-06 15:40:12 »
I believe you can respec once you reach disc 3. One of the airmen crew in the Highwind lets you.

Maziac

• View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: 2019-07-06 15:57:31 »
So I'm at Rocket town, approaching Wutai, Temple of the Ancients, and end of disc 1, and got some questions..

How rough is getting my materia back if I land in Wutai?

Should I try my luck at the Battle Square on disc 1? I guess Cloud's Omnislash has been moved somewhere else?

Is TotA a really hard dungeon? I read some scary comments earlier ;D

And any thoughts on if I should use the Phoenix Down at the end of disc 1? How are the scenes after she should be gone? Don't spoil much but did you enjoy them? I kinda want to see how it plays out but on the other hand I think it'd just feel like she shouldn't be there and it might be too weird not being sad/angry about her.

How about the Alpha enemy skill? I just fought Alpha Zolom but it didn't use Alpha, only Beta. Alpha's been moved somewhere else?
« Last Edit: 2019-07-06 17:04:57 by Maziac »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: 2019-07-06 17:12:11 »
Yeah I'm playing randomized Arrange mode. I've always loved adding the random element challenge to games so I'll have to make the most of what I get and make it work. The 4 randomized rank ups to choose from are pretty nice, so it's likely I won't get screwed over too bad, but I would like to try a hardcore randomizer where I get no choice at all, just add the sources and see what I got.

Dropping SP could be neat to prevent overleveling and thus overpowering bosses easily. I'm at Mt. Nibel Armour Keeper right now and so far haven't done any grinding except backtracking a bit for some enemy skills I missed, and morphing some stuff. But I'm not running from any encounters either. So far I haven't had too much trouble with any bosses. Everything feels pretty well balanced, harder bosses really pushing the limits of my characters.

So if you'll drop SP and have all characters rank up at the same spots I don't think you should bother adding a visual for who is which rank.

Fair enough, but it might be nice to keep track anyway.

Is there a way to respec characters? It's np if there isn't - was just curious. Can't wait for the new version!

Not at present, there are new modding frameworks in development that would allow for savemap editing via field instructions that could make a respec possible. I had the prototype for testing a while back and was able to make it work. When it's released I can add it to that version as a feature.

I believe you can respec once you reach disc 3. One of the airmen crew in the Highwind lets you.

It's not really a re-spec, that was a rank reset but the stats spent remain. It was like a debug thing for problems caused by changing the way ranks are tracked.

So I'm at Rocket town, approaching Wutai, Temple of the Ancients, and end of disc 1, and got some questions..

How rough is getting my materia back if I land in Wutai?

Should I try my luck at the Battle Square on disc 1? I guess Cloud's Omnislash has been moved somewhere else?

Is TotA a really hard dungeon? I read some scary comments earlier ;D

And any thoughts on if I should use the Phoenix Down at the end of disc 1? How are the scenes after she should be gone? Don't spoil much but did you enjoy them? I kinda want to see how it plays out but on the other hand I think it'd just feel like she shouldn't be there and it might be too weird not being sad/angry about her.

I specced enemies to account for not having any Materia, so they should be a bit more forgiving than they were in vanilla (flashbacks to the bird's Thunder attack).

Battle Square actually has different rewards for various parts of the game, just like in vanilla.  The time periods are: pre-bronco, after-bronco, and after-Highwind. The enemy encounters also change along with the prize set. Omnislash is no longer obtained from any of them in NT though, that's grabbed from a certain scene on Disc 3.

Temple of the Ancients can be a slight step up, but all the enemies in there are weak to an element called 'Hidden' which you can attach to weapons using Elemental + a non-elemental Materia. A lot of their attacks are Holy element as well, so you can reduce that using Elemental + Restore/Revive (these Materia carry Holy element in NT).

The minibosses in the treasure chests can be a bit much, the Hex-Eyes in particular were overtuned for a long time. If they're proving tricky, remember that Summons ignore magic defence and can apply a useful status ailment.

The bosses in Temple are also a fair bit different to what they were in vanilla; my advice is to stock up on plenty of Softs and to try Wait or Recommended ATB as Active ATB can make those fights very dicey.

As for the phoenix down, the scenes following that are all fully coded up so it won't be like how it was doing it with a gameshark. As for whether you should or not, that's up to you but the Highwind offers a debug toggle in case you change your mind later.

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: 2019-07-06 18:11:37 »
It's not really a re-spec, that was a rank reset but the stats spent remain. It was like a debug thing for problems caused by changing the way ranks are tracked.

Oh whoops, I've been relaying false information to a few individuals then.  :roll:

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: 2019-07-07 12:44:27 »
Hi there SC! I was looking over recent posting here and I just wanted to ask you about this comment:

I was planning to drop SP altogether from the next update and just have ranks unlock at specific points in the story/after certain fights

If you don't want to spoil the surprise I understand, but could you talk about this a bit more? Like, will there still be only 8 rank ups total? And will the options for rank ups be similar to what they are now? Is this change mostly meant to restrict over-leveling or just due to some other programming needs?

I ask because I'm definitely one of those players that likes to power level a little, and actually liked the SP concept since it allowed me to get a boost when I ran into a section I couldn't figure out how to deal with strategically (without having to run to the forums). I don't know if I speak for many others here, but would it be possible to keep this option available in the final version? Like, maybe a separate installer that keeps the SP system but makes all the rest of your changes and another that implements everything?

Not sure how big of a lift that would be (or if many players would actually like that), but I'd certainly appreciate it!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: 2019-07-07 14:49:21 »
Oh whoops, I've been relaying false information to a few individuals then.  :roll:

::)

Hi there SC! I was looking over recent posting here and I just wanted to ask you about this comment:

If you don't want to spoil the surprise I understand, but could you talk about this a bit more? Like, will there still be only 8 rank ups total? And will the options for rank ups be similar to what they are now? Is this change mostly meant to restrict over-leveling or just due to some other programming needs?

I ask because I'm definitely one of those players that likes to power level a little, and actually liked the SP concept since it allowed me to get a boost when I ran into a section I couldn't figure out how to deal with strategically (without having to run to the forums). I don't know if I speak for many others here, but would it be possible to keep this option available in the final version? Like, maybe a separate installer that keeps the SP system but makes all the rest of your changes and another that implements everything?

Not sure how big of a lift that would be (or if many players would actually like that), but I'd certainly appreciate it!

So the way it's planned to work is very similar to how it was when the system was originally introduced. You'd get a rank to spend after beating certain bosses, this is what's planned currently:

Spoiler: show

Rank 1: Mythril Mines (Turks)
Rank 2: Desert Prison (Dyne)
Rank 3: Cave of the Gi (Gi Nattak)
Rank 4: Forgotten City (Jenova LIFE)
Rank 5: Whirlwind Maze (Jenova DEATH)
Rank 6: Underwater Reactor (Carry Armour)
Rank 7: Midgar Raid (Lifeform Hojo)
Rank 8: Character-specific (Lv.4 Limit Boss)

The flat +5 to all stats for each rank is removed and instead replaced with the return of stat-curves on levels. This is to make levelling have more of an impact on the characters and they roughly match what would be obtained from the +5 per rank.

An alternative plan to that would be setting up SP as a single currency (rather than something character-specific) that can be tracked via the menu and is spent like Gil. Each successive rank would cost more than the previous one, so players would either spread the cost around to all characters or save up SP to focus on three characters.

Now, the potential issue with that is it will likely need some work to make compatible with a menu overhaul mod or similar. It'd also be a bit tougher to balance up cause there'd be parties where 3 characters were focused for SP, and others where it's spread around a bit more. Adjusting cost can counter that a bit but if doing that then having it just go out at fixed points would be a better route.

Maybe I could make some customisation options? So like, when starting a new game and getting the game mode select there could be another menu that allows players to adjust certain things. So SP system could be toggled to the old 'points from enemies' system for instance instead of this new one.

Maziac

• View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: 2019-07-07 15:05:11 »
::)

Rank 1: Mythril Mines (Turks)
Rank 2: Desert Prison (Dyne)
Rank 3: Cave of the Gi (Gi Nattak)
Rank 4: Forgotten City (Jenova LIFE)
Rank 5: Whirlwind Maze (Jenova DEATH)
Rank 6: Underwater Reactor (Carry Armour)
Rank 7: Midgar Raid (Lifeform Hojo)
Rank 8: Character-specific (Lv.4 Limit Boss)

Seems pretty good, but my current Cloud is soon rank 5 before Temple of the Ancients, so I'm ahead of that curve a little bit. Not sure if the last hard fights; Lambda Calcule and Armour Keeper would be doable with less ranks. Might have to pick a party of 3 and keep them when possible instead of my character rotating playstyle. (Oh and there's also the +5 all stats distributed for levels, that balances it out I guess)

Definitely keep an option for this current system if you can.

And please if you can, add a hardcore randomizer :) that would make for some interesting playthroughs
« Last Edit: 2019-07-07 15:13:43 by Maziac »

lordkeiser

• View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: 2019-07-07 18:21:39 »
Hi i have a question,i was looking for info about morph bosses  but i found you droped that idea  so now im not sure if i can morph bosses or not. Thanks for the mod its brilliant

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: 2019-07-07 18:34:21 »
Hi i have a question,i was looking for info about morph bosses  but i found you droped that idea  so now im not sure if i can morph bosses or not. Thanks for the mod its brilliant

It was brought back in; you can morph a fair few of the bosses in Midgar and beyond. But not all Morph into something.

Aps, Motorball, Hundred Gunner, Airgunner/Thundergunner, and Dark Nation can be morphed. If the boss is human, has multiple parts, or is a Jenova boss, then it can't be morphed like Schizo, Jenova Birth, Reno, that sort of thing.

BertShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: 2019-07-07 19:32:37 »
Hi, a lot of time since I played the New threat Mod (1.35v) and i wanna play again, so... I'm here for some advice if you people can help.

I'd like to ask about build compositions, which are better, which are not recommendable, etc.

One specific question I have, Do all character (the ones on your team and the others outside) gain the same exp for battles?

Thanks for everything!!!

Maziac

• View Profile
« Reply #8190 on: 2019-07-07 20:28:07 »
Hi, a lot of time since I played the New threat Mod (1.35v) and i wanna play again, so... I'm here for some advice if you people can help.

I'd like to ask about build compositions, which are better, which are not recommendable, etc.

One specific question I have, Do all character (the ones on your team and the others outside) gain the same exp for battles?

Thanks for everything!!!

The characters themselves have sort of "classes" to them, depending on their innate ability so try to build them according to that, (also keep in mind their Limit Breaks) unless you want to try something like +STR Aeris.

I read something about +Strength falling off late game and +Magic might be more powerful but not sure about that.

The characters outside your party gain reduced EXP like in the vanilla game so if you use only a party of 3 the others fall behind a bit. This applies to rank-ups too.

lordkeiser

• View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: 2019-07-07 21:55:16 »
HI i just won against brass dragon on ancient temple and i cannot get random battles anymore, the problem is the satan gate is insane  ,i got lvl 42 arround 2700 life and he hits me with  a magic wave on all 1500 life 700 with mbarrier  and phys attacks that he repeats 2 times on 1 turn with slow status for 1700 (with barrier) life but usually he crits so 3200. is this normal  or im missing something?

Beth_Esda

• View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: 2019-07-07 23:00:16 »
One more quick question: in the documentation, the Deathblow is supposed to be in the Great Glacier. I definitely missed it the first go-around, and I've been running around like crazy trying to find it again. Is it in the Cliffs part of the glacier? Did I miss it for good?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: 2019-07-07 23:25:26 »
HI i just won against brass dragon on ancient temple and i cannot get random battles anymore, the problem is the satan gate is insane  ,i got lvl 42 arround 2700 life and he hits me with  a magic wave on all 1500 life 700 with mbarrier  and phys attacks that he repeats 2 times on 1 turn with slow status for 1700 (with barrier) life but usually he crits so 3200. is this normal  or im missing something?

Randoms shouldn't be disabled after that dragon battle, the Murals (gold) room should have encounters inside it.

One more quick question: in the documentation, the Deathblow is supposed to be in the Great Glacier. I definitely missed it the first go-around, and I've been running around like crazy trying to find it again. Is it in the Cliffs part of the glacier? Did I miss it for good?

You need to go to the mountain (the east on the glacier map) and head up it to the crossroads. The route you want to take is the NW one; the fields should be at this angle: \

blokx

• View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: 2019-07-08 03:39:15 »
Trying to get some clarity on Magnitude 8 vs Dragon Force. I was just fighting a Gaea Dragon, Cloud hit it with a Limit Break and it cast Dragon Force on itself. Based on the "where is the thing" text, I was expecting Magnitude 8 would get cast on Cloud (holding E.Skill materia). Am I missing something?

Torawakamaru

• View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: 2019-07-08 03:49:33 »
Hi Sega Chief,

i encountered a small design flaw: after the Temple of the Ancients (and Aeris' disappearance - good job with Cloud's behaviour btw!) you can still see Aeris talking to Tifa at Junon.

Version 1.5 July with 7th Heaven; upgraded from 1.5 June.

The magic hammer replacement is underwhelming...28 MP for 150 HP drain?  No thanks, i will never touch that skill again. :--/

I also find it weird that the shops stop selling grenades (are they a Midgar special?); i found them useful for whittling down and morphing enemies.

Great mod so far, i am having a blast!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: 2019-07-08 10:02:23 »
Trying to get some clarity on Magnitude 8 vs Dragon Force. I was just fighting a Gaea Dragon, Cloud hit it with a Limit Break and it cast Dragon Force on itself. Based on the "where is the thing" text, I was expecting Magnitude 8 would get cast on Cloud (holding E.Skill materia). Am I missing something?

Mag8 was changed to Dragon Force, sorry that the documentation is out of date.

Hi Sega Chief,

i encountered a small design flaw: after the Temple of the Ancients (and Aeris' disappearance - good job with Cloud's behaviour btw!) you can still see Aeris talking to Tifa at Junon.

Version 1.5 July with 7th Heaven; upgraded from 1.5 June.

The magic hammer replacement is underwhelming...28 MP for 150 HP drain?  No thanks, i will never touch that skill again. :--/

I also find it weird that the shops stop selling grenades (are they a Midgar special?); i found them useful for whittling down and morphing enemies.

Great mod so far, i am having a blast!

I thought I'd fixed that but clearly not.

The magic hammer thing sounds like a mistake, it should have the base power of a tier 2 spell. Maybe I forgot to change the actual formula?

Shops have a fixed inventory (it can be edited but is a bit of a pain to do so due to the age of the tool that handles it), and I think I favoured shops with a varied status ailment inventory which has maybe edged out grenades. I'll see what I can do.

« Reply #8197 on: 2019-07-08 14:21:27 »
Hello creator of the new threat mod, I was wondering if there is this mod for the psx version, if not, is there any way to edit the psx version? And another thing, your mod is new stuff? Because I would really like to see them, like Water, Wind, Mecha (or Explosives), Holy among others.

Fenrilou

• View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: 2019-07-08 18:59:08 »
Hi,

I have a problem with NT Mod. When
Youfie steals the team from Kalm, then we fight her out of town. During the fight, there is a bug, I have two Barrets in the team and no Aeris. Then, at the end of the fight, When the team leaves, Aeris stays in its place and Youfie runs on the spot next to her and never triggers the next scene

So the game is blocked and I can not continue the story. I tried to restart the game, and the bug occurs every time.
Do you know what it can come from?

Thank you in advance.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: 2019-07-08 21:39:44 »
Hello creator of the new threat mod, I was wondering if there is this mod for the psx version, if not, is there any way to edit the psx version? And another thing, your mod is new stuff? Because I would really like to see them, like Water, Wind, Mecha (or Explosives), Holy among others.

There is no PSX version currently, and if one were to be made it would need to be shrunk down to fit with the limitations of the format.

NT contains a bunch of new stuff; some new spells like Hydro and Pearl were added, new scenes, new enemies, and new abilities for the characters (innates).

Hi,

I have a problem with NT Mod. When
Youfie steals the team from Kalm, then we fight her out of town. During the fight, there is a bug, I have two Barrets in the team and no Aeris. Then, at the end of the fight, When the team leaves, Aeris stays in its place and Youfie runs on the spot next to her and never triggers the next scene

So the game is blocked and I can not continue the story. I tried to restart the game, and the bug occurs every time.
Do you know what it can come from?

Thank you in advance.

Before that fight, a party of Cloud, Aeris, and Tifa is set. Barret and Red XIII then fight alongside this party as 'enemies' set to target Yuffie. What's happened is, you've somehow managed to get Barret back into the party and when the scene is due to play afterwards it runs some scripts to target your current party members which is being disrupted by Barret being in the party instead.

Do you have other mods installed? Did you have access to PHS and swap Barret back into your party before the fight?
« Last Edit: 2019-07-08 21:43:03 by Sega Chief »