Author Topic: SOLVED: How to use my xbox 360 controller for ff7 pc  (Read 43930 times)

Deadlyodin

I am running windows 7 64bit, and just recently started playing ff7 pc,  The keyboard isnt to bad to play with but would much rather use a controller, i have spent my whole day poking around the internet trying to figure out if it is even possible to use the controller.  Well I have read many post on this forum about how people are doing it but i dont know how, any help would be appriciated. 

P.S. I am not very computer savy either so if i can get a tutorial with it that would be great thanks alot.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-28 14:25:49 by Bosola »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
Re: How to use my xbox 360 controller for ff7 pc
« Reply #1 on: 2009-12-12 19:24:56 »
Well, normally you just open up the config screen ingame, and assign the keypad buttons by simply pressing them. But if that won't work for you you can try this program:

http://www.xpadder.com/

basically, you map all of your keyboard buttons ingame and write them down.  Then you start Xpadder, and map the keyboard keys to the controller buttons however you like. It's completely free-form, so any button can correspond to any key. you can also change how the joysticks work and a bunch of other stuff.  This is the best app i've found for doing this, and it's free.  Make sure you download the files for the 360 controller, otherwise you'll have to create your own profile.

Lee

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-12-12 20:43:32 »
I've been trying to use a PS3 controller for the PC (also Windows 7 64-bit). Hopefully, you'll have more luck than I did :roll:

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-12-12 20:49:38 »
I've been trying to use a PS3 controller for the PC (also Windows 7 64-bit). Hopefully, you'll have more luck than I did :roll:

if you really want to use it, give xpadder a try.  It works great once your all setup, and it works with ANY game, because it makes your gamepad emulate keyboard presses.

the easiest way to setup xpadder is to asign your gamepad buttons first. I use the top keyboard buttons (Q-P) or you can even use the number keys if you prefer. Once your buttons are assigned in Xpadder, open up FF7 and goto the config screen. click the assign button ingame, then press the controller button you want to use. It should appear as a letter, for example, if you assigned "Q" to your "X" button, then "Q" will appear in the config screen.

it's actually very easy once you understand the process.

Lee
« Last Edit: 2009-12-12 20:51:57 by pyrozen »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-12-12 21:22:33 »

Hey kudistos, I use a ps3 controller to play ff7. You plug it in, download the sixaxis driver from here (there are multiple ones that offer different features, but i find that the old one works the best...it should be a simple exe file with two options: load driver and exit). The only problem is that the XY axes and the POV hat are switched around (XY axes = left joystick, POV hat = Dpad), so you might need to use Xpadder or JoyToKey to use it properly.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-12-12 22:25:56 »
I've got it working without any addition stuff (just the motion in joy drivers). The only problem is that I have to turn of driver signature enforcement every time I reboot. I just tried playing Touhou with it and it seems to work quite well (possibly better than my old controller).

Deadlyodin

« Reply #6 on: 2009-12-12 22:30:53 »
thanks for the info iam going to go try all of this right now,  let you know how it works out for me...

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-12-12 23:00:38 »
I've got it working without any addition stuff (just the motion in joy drivers). The only problem is that I have to turn of driver signature enforcement every time I reboot. I just tried playing Touhou with it and it seems to work quite well (possibly better than my old controller).

Yeah, thats windows 7 for ya... I've got vista 32bit with UAC completely off, and it doesn't automatically turn driver signature enforcement back on for me, so it isn't a problem. Only think is that I have to watch out for that PS button cause it'll turn my ps3 on and start sending whacky signals to my laptop... bad things happen. haha. Oh, and if you use the d-pad for ff7 by mapping the buttons to arrow keys, it won't work for the character naming screen for some reason...
« Last Edit: 2009-12-12 23:02:10 by titeguy3 »

Deadlyodin

« Reply #8 on: 2009-12-13 00:25:09 »
well i found out what my problem is!  :x :x

http://www.techsupportforum.com/gaming-forum/console-gaming-support/170861-can-i-connect-wireless-xbox360-controller-my-pc.html

i am in the same perdictiment as that guy/gal, well any way i guess until i get paid i have to play with the keyboard... thanks for your help every one and if any one knows a way around that then let me know but until then have a good one.

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-12-13 00:36:05 »
if you are going to use the ps3 controller on your comp, it is usually best to just flip the switch to off on the back of the system so that the controller will never turn it back on accidentally... i have to do that because with my controller's cord, if you even bump it just a little sometimes, it will reconnect to the ps3 without even having pressed the ps button. an xbox controller works well in most cases as well, other than the occasional game that reads the triggers as joysticks :x.

i use xpadder very rarely, but there are a select few games that do not have joystick support which it becomes very useful... i am actually used to playing ffvii with the keyboard, mainly because i am too lazy to have to plug in my controller and get it working every time i change something in the game and need to test it... not that there is much need for a controller in vii anyway :roll:.

Sed7

• No New Topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-12-17 17:09:00 »
I use a Wired 360 controller, just mapped the buttons using the in-game controller config and all was well.

HelloMyNameIs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-01-03 10:21:08 »
Ive downloaded xpadder, had to google it as i couldn't find the download link from that site, installed it, and plugged 360 controller in using usb lead, but nothing, don't see what im doing wrong here?

When i click config in game options, and try to assign a button the game just crashes.. im using the play and charge kit to connect the 360 controller, i don't see why it won't work, xpadder, i open it and all it seems to be doing is searching. Does the xbox light (green) need to be on on the controller?
« Last Edit: 2010-01-03 10:50:48 by HelloMyNameIs »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-01-03 15:15:20 »
Ive downloaded xpadder, had to google it as i couldn't find the download link from that site, installed it, and plugged 360 controller in using usb lead, but nothing, don't see what im doing wrong here?

When i click config in game options, and try to assign a button the game just crashes.. im using the play and charge kit to connect the 360 controller, i don't see why it won't work, xpadder, i open it and all it seems to be doing is searching. Does the xbox light (green) need to be on on the controller?

Just to let you know it has to be a wired 360 controller. If it is wireless all the usb is used for is charging. You would need to buy the microsoft wireless pc adapter to use it.