Author Topic: FF7 PSX videos  (Read 48406 times)

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: FF7 PSX videos
« Reply #25 on: 2010-02-16 16:30:06 »
well h264 lossless doesnt work but there are other codecs that are lossless that do work (but to be honest most of them give a huge output file for very small video like for example when i used a PNG lossless video codec i ended up with a 2GB opening) like SNOW or WMV lossless and hell of alot of uncompressed lossless codecs (just google them if your interested in those).
I also tried using a emulator for the videos before but it was hell of alot more work to try and capture them then it was to just rip them from the PSX CD's since you dont just capture them you have to have the extact right amount of frames and even if you use a frame limiter in the emulator the length of the video still seems very slightly different which then means you have to either miss frames out or add some to get the desired amount. And then there was like you said the problem of the characters being on screen while videos are playing. But this method i supose could be usefull for the sound since the PSX videos have some sound but not music (this is shown in the opening since the train still makes noise but no opening music),
When i did the opening with siefer we just remuxed music into the video's so we could use 48hz music from various websites.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-02-17 23:44:47 »
PS1 videos are at different framerates. The video data is encoded into the files on the PS1 disk. The key part that many miss is that the PS1 video files cannot be read directly using windows from the original CD. You have to extract the original data from the ISO image. After that you have to parse the video/audio data. The video data is actually designed on 2K sector sizes but the audio data uses 2304 sector sizes. They used the CDI standard (Mode 2) for the interleaving of the data basically. You can split the data streams if you know that much.

What to do with the video streams would be the next 'issue'. As essentially you need to decode the video (which has a specific matrix to transform the motion JPEG DCT data) and then the audio is ADPCM (standard PS1 stereo fortunately). Once you have 'real' raw data. THEN You can do something with it.

I suggest looking around for AVI synth filters (if you can find then) and use AVI synth instead of those clunky GUI based tools.  AVI synth allows you to do some extremely complex filtering without fiddling with YAGI (Yet Another GUI Interface).  However AVI synth is not easy stuff, then again redoing the entire video sequence is not something you can do easily either.

Now if you wanted to go insane you could use the video information as key data points and reproduce the base data used to generate the original video. Even more complex and difficult work. SOME of the video's have mixed in character animation, that can give information on surface locations etc, as the characters are moving on a 3d surface.  In any case no matter what you do to render new video won't be an easy task.

If you have blender skills you could look at blender as your CGI tool for redone video I suppose.

Cyb

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-02-19 14:12:35 »
as team avalanche slowly starts on remaking the prerendered backgrounds, once we have enough we'll probably be rerendering certain cutscenes, but in the meantime, it'd b fun to figure this all out.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-02-19 15:44:39 »
as team avalanche slowly starts on remaking the prerendered backgrounds, once we have enough we'll probably be rerendering certain cutscenes, but in the meantime, it'd b fun to figure this all out.

I wonder which is more daunting of a task... remaking the prerendered backrounds, or remastering every FMV, frame-by-frame...?
according to my calculations, there's a total of 47,040 frames. Of course, doing it frame-by-frame would be a *really* inefficient way of doing it...

At any rate, I'm looking forward to progress on this!  ;)

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-02-20 00:17:17 »
If the FMV's have characters in them then finding the location of things is easier (as they have a sort of walk mesh)

The background images ALL have walk meshes, I suggest working from that perspective. It is entirely feasible to create 3d content that is rendered to the FF7 data format for backgrounds for each scene. It might be slow and complex but you can then make the output content on any scale. I use POV for a lot of stuff like that. I gave up using Open GL because I would get caught up in the OpenGL idiosyncrasis instead of working on creating the 3d data sets to be viewed. The later is what I wanted to do not learn open GL. However OpenGL turned out to be too much fun (go figure). Erstwhile reality is I just need to extract data to mesh data for POV. 

Back to the Avalanche project, good fortune.

Redoing the movies is possible, if you have the background scene for the first background in the game done in 3d then you have a good portion of the opening movie done.
Things you would need to make are the Shinra building (needed for a bunch of backgrounds) the reactors (you need those for a few of your backgrounds anyhow). Bascially as you make data sets and styles they can be reused in animated parts just as easily. Hand drawn although potentially easier is not scalable like 3d data.

if you aren't sure what I'm talking about try povray.org. Lots of good stuff you can do with it.

Cyb

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-03-04 09:24:49 »
H264 now supported on 0.7.4,
0.7.4 has broken movies but H264 video are supported.
So i tried the movie plugin from 0.7.4 on 0.7.3 and it gives H264 video support on 0.7.3.
so anyone who wants to use h264 video just install 0.7.3 then download 0.7.4 and extract just the
/plugins/movies/ffmpeg_movies.fgp
and overwrite the old one from 0.7.3 and your done.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-03-05 14:14:08 »

I wonder which is more daunting of a task... remaking the prerendered backrounds, or remastering every FMV, frame-by-frame...?
according to my calculations, there's a total of 47,040 frames. Of course, doing it frame-by-frame would be a *really* inefficient way of doing it...

At any rate, I'm looking forward to progress on this!  ;)

Well, as we're progressing, its turning out to not be /that/ hard to make backgrounds, though it is time consuming. After the scene i'm working on now, i'm going to work on the bombing mission segment, which as Cyberman said, comprises a great deal of the opening cinematic. That coupled with shinra hq, and we'll have most of the resources we need to render the first few cinematics. as to camera angles... once you have the keyframes down there isnt much else to do. insert particle effects and lighting! :P

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-03-10 19:36:08 »
Im about to rip my PSX videos using PSXMC.  Then throw them into Sony Vegas and see what the best quality I can get with a 3x higher res is.   Hopefully the new movie plugin supports h.264 AAC as an mp4.

960x720 sounds good right?

I might check out AVIsynth if I cant get anything good going

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-03-10 20:24:11 »
Output at whatever 3 times the resolution is. i think 1280 x 876 or something like that is the "native" at 3 or 4 times

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-03-10 20:31:00 »
I was sort of hoping for a general consensus on the resolution.  3x is 960x720  4x is 1280x960.

4x then?  It makes no difference to me, my computer is fairly high end.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-03-10 20:38:46 »
i dunno what average is, I play at 1440x1080 (5x) so the closer to that the better haha, i think 3x is average, or 4x

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-03-10 20:44:32 »
obsesbear i have tried a mp4 created with meGUI and it had a few audio problems but the video was fine but that was only with that program so please let me know how it goes with "Sony Vegas".

well the native PSX video resolution is 320x224 so
1x320x224
2x640x448
3x960x672
4x1280x896
5x1600x1120

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010-03-10 20:52:48 »
obsesbear i have tried a mp4 created with meGUI and it had a few audio problems but the video was fine but that was only with that program so please let me know how it goes with "Sony Vegas".

well the native PSX video resolution is 320x224 so
1x320x224
2x640x448
3x960x672
4x1280x896
5x1600x1120

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting it's 224 and not 240.

If it doesn't work I can always convert the mp4 over to avi in SUPER... right?  That should work.  Ill post back results.  Still ripping all the videos right now

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-03-10 20:57:52 »
yes i already tried that with super and it does work. Just stream copy video and audio into AVI, and if you still have problems just stream video and reencode audio into AAC main (for some reason AAC LC gave me problems but then again this could be a unique problem to me)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010-03-10 21:06:25 »
yes i already tried that with super and it does work. Just stream copy video and audio into AVI, and if you still have problems just stream video and reencode audio into AAC main (for some reason AAC LC gave me problems but then again this could be a unique problem to me)
Saw your post in Custom Driver... why don't you ask seifer to come back over here.  I mean, if he's already doing this... I see no need to waste my time on it.  If memory serves me correctly, he was quite the perfectionist and will have all of these done in no time.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010-03-10 21:14:20 »
well first even if i did invite seifer back i doubt he would come, And second i dont really see why 2 people cant work on this and seifer is doing 1280x896 and he is using video enhancer to resize the videos but this also makes them quite big and you said you was planning on doing it at around 3x which will make them smaller in res but also in filesize and memory usage (some people with old PC's can't handle 1280x896 so smaller might be better for them as well), And third Seifer is like you said a perfectionist which is a good thing but it also means he will take his time making sure its perfect before he releases which would proberly take a long time and he is also working on lots of other projects which will proberly also slow down his progress on this.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010-03-10 21:36:09 »
Ill post one up hopefully by tonight

EDIT

Having trouble converting all of them for some reason... almost half fail.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-10 22:03:45 by obesebear »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010-03-11 01:47:53 »
well the native PSX video resolution is 320x224

so THATS why the PC port has a line of nothingness along the bottom!!

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2010-03-11 02:19:48 »
My guessing is that 2x: 640x448 will have the best results.
The scaling+sharpening wont look bad and with modern codecs it will be possible to keep the files around the same size as the original ones.

A lossless codec is not exactly needed, probably something like xvid with 10% loss will make it look as good as the lossless one to the eye\human perception.

Next thing to do... ask Aali to please try and see if he can center the videos on the screen\window, so that the "bar of nothingness" is split into two making it look even better! :D
« Last Edit: 2010-03-11 02:23:21 by InuRa »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010-03-11 02:52:06 »
Going with 960x720.

I'm trying to rip the sephiroth scene from Advent Children Complete, I'm just having a lot of trouble doing so.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2010-03-11 03:02:12 »
960x672 you mean? or can it play fullscreen without it sucking?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010-03-11 03:13:32 »
960x672 you mean? or can it play fullscreen without it sucking?
I don't know.  I'm hoping that if I make it a 4:3 that it won't leave the black bars at the top and bottom.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2010-03-11 05:58:05 »
That'll wreck the alignment in cases where the 3D engine is overlaid above the FMV, such as the intro where it zooms in on the shinra guards, or the Junon elevator.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2010-03-11 06:00:15 »
Well it's a good thing I've made almost no progress ripping this Sephiroth scene then.  Also, it's 2am now so I'm giving up for now and going to sleep

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2010-03-12 01:57:20 »
Double Post.   1280x896 should be fine.  I wanted to do about 720 height but 672 seems too low.   The first 2 second video should be done shortly.