Author Topic: [PSX/PC] General editor - Hades Workshop (0.50b)  (Read 845145 times)

itoikenza

• Chrono Cross Modder: http://pastebin.com/fuj8s836
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Cross Hacking Wish List!
Re: [FF9] General editor - Hades Workshop (0.34b)
« Reply #550 on: 2016-08-18 09:11:52 »
After that, replace your modified binary file (which is still opened in HW) by the original game file...
I don't have HW in front of me now, can you elaborate via a video or gif? Or more details? I just simply go to File then Open? Then it'll open vanilla right next to modified?

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: 2016-08-18 09:20:18 »
Nop, you replace the file on your hard drive.
Let's say your original game is named "FFIX.bin" and modded game is "FFIX_Mod.bin":
1) You open "FFIX_Mod.bin",
2) You do all the stuff with panels and Mod Manager,
3) You rename "FFIX_Mod.bin" to something else and rename "FFIX.bin" to "FFIX_Mod.bin",
4) You export the PPF.

itoikenza

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: 2016-08-18 09:26:52 »
I see, Thanks! I had a sneaking suspicion that HW, would be more likable for ppf makin'... Nao! if only you'd make my dreams come true and make HW able to mod ff8 and Chrono Cross?

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: 2016-08-18 09:45:32 »
Haha lol

Unfortunatly, I'm afraid that will never happen out of your dreams ^^"
There are other tools to edit FF8 (dunno about the Chrono series) ; it would be strange to use only 1 program to modify all of Square's games.

itoikenza

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: 2016-08-18 09:48:42 »
No, do it! Nao!

BaconCatBug

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: 2016-08-20 23:43:53 »
Is it possible to get a Hades Workshop steam mod and Memoria to work together? I'd really like to be able to make the speed boost 2x instead of 5x but also to use a rebalancing mod. :( If it's not possible, obviously that's fine and i'll live with it. :P

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: 2016-08-22 16:13:47 »
No, it's not possible at the moment.
Hopefully it will be possible someday ; or at least include Memoria's features (all of them) in HW.

resinate

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: 2016-08-24 07:16:10 »
hey Tirlititi, can u make a beta version, can u set the Max hp above 65k, i think steam version can bypass this limit. i found this when using a tent on a boss it heals above 9999

also tool crashes when u load up steam version and click on stats tab.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-25 00:09:55 by resinate »

IzzacSturnburg

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: 2016-08-24 14:58:51 »
Heya Tirlititi just checking in~  I'm anticipating the next release so i can go further into skill editing.   Again i thank you for your hardwork~ looking forward to it. Big fan

dclem

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: 2016-09-27 02:42:51 »
Hi! I'm am trying to edit the Battle spots of enemies locations in the Environment section, but it doesn't seem like its working. does each battle spot correspond to each section of gaia and include dungeons? Can't tell, the text to the right only says: "Alexandria Castle, Hidden passage's lower level" on the steam version.
Also, can Hades workshop export model data along with battle scenes? Models like monsters, eidolons etc. on the psx version?

miruss89

• View Profile
« Reply #560 on: 2016-09-27 02:46:47 »
hey Tirlititi, can u make a beta version, can u set the Max hp above 65k, i think steam version can bypass this limit. i found this when using a tent on a boss it heals above 9999

also tool crashes when u load up steam version and click on stats tab.

Yup happen to me also, steam version crash when on stats tab

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: 2016-10-10 12:44:18 »
Hi.
I just moved to a country I don't know the language yet, so I don't work on HW so much these times. I have a sparse internet also.

I'll check about this crash. Since v0.33 or so, I experience random crashes at times and I don't know the reason (one of them is the extensive use of RAM the field panel asks, but that doesn't explain everything).

@ dclem : The battle spot isn't working on the Steam version yet ; it did on the PSX version but Steam has another way to handle that, not so convenient for me.
HW can't export the models other than the Battle Scenes (and then, it misses a few stuff like the Crystal in the related scene). However, there's this tool that can do that (about spell effects, only a few are handled, not eidolons). You need to extract the .img for the PSX version but that's not a big deal and it worths it.

@ Resinate : no, the Steam version can't bypass this limit. I don't think I'll ever make it so it can be enabled : though it is in the horizon of possible things to make the HP a 4-bits number (if you look very very focused to the horizon), the technical obstacles are really annoying (the Steam version doesn't help there).

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: 2016-10-10 20:01:27 »
Any news about extracting and inserting the backrounds, Tirlititi?

gledson999

• Listem to my Story, this maybe our last chance ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: 2016-10-11 00:20:45 »
It's possible extract text from ppf files?

I want extract to fix something from that PPF?, because the translation was finished in 2006.

link: http://romhackers.org/modules/PDdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=25&lid=258

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: 2016-10-11 07:10:58 »
@ Fraggoso : You can already export the backgrounds, you can't import them back. It won't be ready for the next release but maybe for the one after that (or if someone else does that ; the project is on GitHub !).
But since you can export them already, someone can start reworking them. I didn't see anyone doing that yet.
Also, Aelrobis seems to be making some work about it currently (Export/Import). I don't know whether he'll be able to change the resolution or how his solution will be conflicting with HW though.

@ gledson999 : That's likely not possible to do that directly on the .ppf as the text are not stored very consistently in those files. You can try a search using an hexadecimal editor but you are not guaranteed to find the text and you can't change it to a text with another size.

Here is a solution that should always work :
1) Make a .hwf scan on a non-modded game (or surely you have one already),
2) Apply your .ppf to a game,
3) Rename your .hwf scan with the same name as your modded game,
4) Open HW and your modded game with it ; there should be no scan (since you provided it) and it should display the modded datas,
5) Fix your text stuff,
6-Optionnal) You can take the opportunity to go to the "Mod Manager" tool, check all the boxes corresponding to modded aspect of the game, and then use "Save Mod" to have a .hws version of the mod.
7) Save as a .ppf, then close HW, then apply the .ppf to the modded file,
8) Now that you have the modded game with all the right modifications, you can use makeppf.exe to create a .ppf file.

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: 2016-10-11 19:58:46 »
@ Fraggoso : You can already export the backgrounds, you can't import them back. It won't be ready for the next release but maybe for the one after that (or if someone else does that ; the project is on GitHub !).
But since you can export them already, someone can start reworking them. I didn't see anyone doing that yet.
Also, Aelrobis seems to be making some work about it currently (Export/Import). I don't know whether he'll be able to change the resolution or how his solution will be conflicting with HW though.

I can't seem to find the exporter for it. Can you pinpoint me into any directions (i presumed it's in HW directly but also I can't find it)?

Edit: Found it!

Edit 2:
After exporting a BG I noticed that a lot of alliasing is going on around some objects.
e.g.

Is there any way around this?
« Last Edit: 2016-10-11 20:19:18 by Fraggoso »

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: 2016-10-12 07:42:05 »
I saw that too. This alliasing is in the image's data and appears in-game :

For some reason that I don't really understand, it's much less visible in-game than there. The file format of images have a documentation, so I'm pretty confident that, color and transparancy-wise, I export the right images. Either Steam's version uses a slightly different file format, either it improves the rendering when it displays the layers.
If you remove those alliasing, that can only improve the quality.

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: 2016-10-12 20:37:22 »
What you're referring to is normal if you work with layers and transparency especially in an old PSone Game.
The export suffers from some weird artifact patterns which is not present in game. Like I said, what you describe is normal transparency issues.

The PSone doesn't have those artefacts:

I don't know how to remove those artifacts in a reasonable manner. We're talking 817 pictures. ^^

On a quick note: On the PSX File you can select which pattern to export. In the above these are the bells for an instance. In this example all bells are layered on top of each other.
I couldn't find such an option on the steam version. Is it missing? ^^

Edit:
The Steam Pictures seems to be 2x the size of the PSX File.
If I double the size from the PSX backgrounds and apply my filters, they look way better then applying the filters to the Steam background.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/187711

Of course this is only a test as I need to adjust the filters.
Would it be possible to export all PSX Files, filter them and use those to insert later on? If yes I would gladly to the whole thing.

Edit 2:
What would be the best way to work on the images so we/you can easily import them later on?
I extracted the PSone Image, scaled it x2 and applied my filter and saved every layer individually. I did this because I think it's crucial later on that the layers from the import match those 1:1 from the export?
If I have the answer I can start right away as I have setup my pipeline the last night.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-13 23:26:51 by Fraggoso »

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: 2016-10-14 15:48:10 »
One question Tirlititi:
Do you think it's possible to find the flag to alter the FPS on the FMV's?
I've several FMV's in beautiful 30 FPS here (interpolated but still it looks in my opinion way better then the 15 FPS >.<) but after switching them out, the engine still forces them to play at 15 FPS.

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: 2016-10-14 16:15:04 »
Well, I don't know about these artefacts. I'll look into it but don't hope for a fix too soon :/
You don't have access to the "background viewer" in the Steam version, thus you can't choose which layers (called Tile Blocks in the program) you can export at one time.

It will be possible to import to the Steam version upscaled backgrounds that you got from the PSX version.

I don't know in what format the images will be best for importation. As said, either 1 file per layer or 1 file per background (with all the layers inside). The problem is that I'm not an expert in the image formats. Most of them don't seem to support multi-layered images. I found the .tiff which could do that (but it's not supported very well by Photoshop from what I heard) and I don't know about the others. I would like to avoid editor-specific formats : I know that .xcf supports several layers and a bunch of other features, but it's Gimp-specific for instance.

To be more precise about the format of the Steam background images (I'm writing that from memory, so there might be inaccuracy) :
- Each file contains a bunch of tiles, that is a 36x36 pixels square (compared to 16x16 for PSX).
- However, there is a border of 2 pixels on each side of the square that seem unused (maybe they correct that alliasing thing?), so the used tiles are of actual size 32x32.
- All the pixels are not fully specified with a RGBA value : the 36x36 square is split into 4x4 squares which share a RGB value with possible variations on each pixel (but restricted).
- The tile sorting/layering into Tile Blocks are done in other files, which were extracted from the PSX version and were not modified at all.

So the format is a bit compressed compared to a full specified bitmap file of the same size/resolution (because of those 4x4 squares). I didn't try nor dig anything yet about where those are handled in the game's code. I don't know :
1) If I can remove that compression,
2) If I can enable other resolutions.
Ideally, I can do both, but one of them only will be sufficient to import your upscaled files from the PSX version without loss of quality.

EDIT : About FPS, there's a limit set in the game's code (one limit for menu, one for World Map, etc...) that can easily be raised to 30 or 60 FPS. I don't know if it will need changes at other places but eventually, I'm quiet confident that it won't be too difficult.

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: 2016-10-15 13:50:05 »
For the time being I wouldn't stress that much about those artifacts.

The export from the PSX is way better. The steam backgrounds were only upscaled using an interpolation filter, which really worsens the filtering I use on them.
My main “struggle” is, that I don't know how you plan to do the reimport. ;)

I can extract either one image with ALL layers intact (even the ones which are moving) and get them filtered nicely and save them as a tiff again so we retain all layers in one image.
Memory wise it would be maybe better to use the extension ORA. It’s very convenient as it saves as one file but if you open it with 7 zip all Layers are saved as a png in a Data subdirectoy.
This is not manageable by Photoshop (although a converter could be used I guess) and it could lead to problems as the layers don’t have names but numbers like 001 – 013.png

Okay here goes the final question:
If I need to rearrange all Layers from the import 1:1 to match the export (also by name?) then I'll start right away. I will rip the backgrounds with all moving tiles (doors, flags etc…) in one image with a bunch of Layers. The problem here is that my Gimp shows the Layers as German names like Seite 1 which is Site 1 in US. This is confusing to me as I used my US/NTSC FFIX to rip the background.
But I don't know if things get too complicated…? ^^

You could also implement the import as a psd. The file format is afair well documented and Gimp can load psd files as well, so the coverage is very good.
If you have anything to mention further, please do so as at the moment this will be a really big task as it is and I don’t want to break anything or in the worst case wasted time on both ends. ^^

Maybe it would be good if we could test one background before so we/I can use that as a basis and get the things off the table which hinders the import.

The images vary in size: ORA has the best with 2.76 MB, Tiff with 4.28 MB opposed to a whopping 6.7 MB PSD.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-16 23:31:00 by Fraggoso »

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: 2016-10-16 12:15:14 »
I've finished ripping all backgrounds into separate folders containing one tiff with all layers.
But something doesn't look right in some backgrounds:

This is taken directly from disc 1 "Burmecia/Palace" the third of them.
The rain really looks broken to me. These instances don't happen as often.

I only saw it on 2-3 images so it's not big a deal but still, something must be done or else those can't be filtered properly all tough I could filter the base image (without the moving broken rain of course ^^

resinate

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: 2016-10-16 20:38:44 »
btw guys for the higher fps, just use CE and scan for 15 fps in world map or 30 in town. scroll all the way down to bottom u should see XXXXXXXX-XXXX 16 numbers/letters set it to 60 check box.

also any word on the ability for higher than 65k hp on steam version.

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: 2016-10-18 20:28:23 »
Quick update: I've finished more than 40 Backgrounds with all the filtering and separating the Layers etc... and I got my process really down.
I'll work further on it after Tirlititi finished the import so I can know if this works and/or need tweaks at my end. But I'm very confident that all the filtering really shouldn't take that long. :)

Keep up the fantastic work, Tirlititi. ^^

blahitzmunchii

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: 2016-10-29 02:48:50 »
hey is there any reasons for,the steam version freezes when i click on the stats tab?
« Last Edit: 2016-10-29 03:11:09 by blahitzmunchii »