Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3008897 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R05c)
« Reply #3825 on: 2017-09-03 17:05:54 »
I fixed the sound effects of the march, but to get the best score you basically need to get to the spot as soon as possible and shoulder the rifle. And I added in checks to make sure that you can't cheat.

Matski

• View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: 2017-09-03 19:40:34 »
I don't remember it being tricky to get the march 'moving', though I may have been lucky. The guy in video seemed to be having problems with it once he figures he can no longer cheat by running through the line-up and has to enter the squad from behind. Perhaps it was just him and he wasn't moving forward far enough to trigger the march properly. When I find spare time I'll have to test it out.

I don't have problem with the prizes, a side from Square's weird decision to make 5000 gil the top prize, despite being less than the cost of 6 ethers.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-03 19:58:49 by Matski »

cold_spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: 2017-09-03 22:09:27 »
It's amazing me that so many people are complaining about this change.  As if their lives depend on getting the best score. Toning down the difficulty will simply make it so everyone can get the best score easily - and that's pointless.

This is less of a problem with people caring about the minigame and more a problem with people disagreeing with your attitude towards game balance.

In my opinion, making this minigame easier/accessible is better for the overall sequence. Your mentality seems to be that a "handout" is always bad. Had this topic been about an important story boss I would agree with you. However, handouts can be a good thing in game design. Great game flow is a constant push and pull of challenge and ease. This minigame is not something that I think is important to be difficult. Your mentality is great for designing formidable bosses, but it's a bit overkill for this minigame.

If multiple players are saying to you that this minigame is needlessly frustrating, then it's undeniably affecting player's experiences, and you should take note (which I see that you are, so thank you). You need to ask yourself as a game designer "Is this something that is important to be challenging? Does challenge here add to the overall game?" If not, things should be adjusted.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: 2017-09-03 22:40:43 »
A handout for the best score is yes... And that seems to be the mentality of the original game designers too.  It isn't easy to score 100/100/100 on the snowboard event.  Or to get maximum score on the Coaster (actually, that's bad design and near impossible).

Aren't the best scores supposed to be difficult?  Isn't that what tests are about too?  Not everyone gets the best grade or the best job.  That's just life.

This particular minigame is completely skippable.  The best score does not need to be attained at all. What I am seeing here is more a bitching that people can't get the best score. People cry when they don't get the grades at school they wanted too.  I think the reaction to not getting 50% is overkill - not the difficulty itself. If I make it easier - then anyone can get the best score. So no more whining - but everyone wins a coconut.  No real sense of achievement whatsoever. But this issue is moot anyway - I'll add the higher difficulty version as an option.  And you know what will happen?  People will still get bruised egos and opt for the higher difficulty version.  ;D
« Last Edit: 2017-09-03 22:45:20 by DLPB »

cold_spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: 2017-09-04 00:45:02 »
What I am seeing here is more a buttercuping that people can't get the best score. People cry when they don't get the grades at school they wanted too.

No where in my posts have I said how far I'm willing to go to get 100% in FFVII (for the record, I don't care at all). I'm simply trying to put forward a perspective on game design about when it is best to challenge players. Reading your previous post it's clear that you're having an emotion reaction to people's frustrations to the point where you're justifying their behavior by calling them whiners with "bruised egos."

And on point of the snowboarding minigame, in its instance at the Gold Saucer getting 100/100/100 is completely optional. However, the Junon parade is a mandatory story event. For the third time I'll say it: In my opinion the entire story sequence would flow better if the minigame was more accessible. That's all I'm trying to say. You disagree, that's fine.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: 2017-09-04 00:46:21 »
It's completely optional to get the better rankings on the Junon parade minigame. Most people aren't complaining that they can't get past it (as I stated before, it reverts in difficulty to an easy mode after 3 failures).  They are complaining that they are resetting the game to get 50% (often they are 1% away). They are choosing to reset the game in frustration that they cannot get the BEST rank.  It's absolutely a valid comparison to getting the better scores at the snowboard minigame.

Now, if people are also annoyed at general difficulty of getting past the game - that I can understand (some do).  And I'll make the range easier in next release.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-04 01:11:50 by DLPB »

Liquid_Vegeta

• View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: 2017-09-04 07:39:42 »
Not played enough of Reunion to know if this is relevant or not but Kotaku just put up this article:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/08/30/zack-wasnt-actually-aeriss-boyfriend-in-the-japanese-version-of-final-fantasy-vii

Thought i'd mention it just in case but I imagine you guys are already way ahead of the curve on this?

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: 2017-09-04 09:52:19 »
When Zax disappeared Aerith assumed he had found another girl as he was apparently a bit of a flirt (Gongaga dialogue); I think she denies they were a flat-out couple *now* because she thinks that he cheated on her and she was a naive teenager, doesn't change the fact that they were together for at least some time, Zax even mentions his "girlfriend" in his letter.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: 2017-09-04 17:14:05 »
What Luksy said.  They were definitely together.  Also, in the church, she laughs because Cloud's mannerisms and life seem to be uncannily like that of Zax's. It's a clever use of foreshadowing by the writers.  Really subtle. Cloud has mimicked his life on Zax's - and she starts laughing that he seems so similar.  This is also further established in the park.

Gongaga:

Code: [Select]
Gongaga
------------------------------
{AERIS}
“I had no idea Zax
  grew up in this village.”
{CLOUD}
“Somebody you know?”
{AERIS}
“I told you,remember?
  My first love.”
{CLOUD}
“…”
{AERIS}
“Zax…
  Soldier,first class.
  The same as you,{CLOUD}.”
{CLOUD}
“Strange. There aren’t that
  many who make first class,
  and I’ve never heard of him.”
{AERIS}
“That’s all right,it was a long
  time ago. I’m worried because
  he disappeared.”
{CLOUD}
“Disappeared?”
{AERIS}
“Must be five years ago now.
  He went to work and never
  came back.”
{AERIS}
“Zax is a real lady’s man.
  He probably met somebody else.”
{AERIS}
“Hey,what’s wrong?”
{CHOICE}I’d be worried too,I guess
{CHOICE}(What a slimy…)
{AERIS}
“It’s okay.
  But he should at least
  contact his parents.”
{AERIS}
“Are you… jealous?
  Hmm? Hmmm?
  Are you,{CLOUD}?”
{AERIS}
“Just kidding. Sorry.”
{AERIS}
“I’d kinda like it
  if you were though.”

Even if "first love" isn't correct here [Luksy?], this is still pretty good evidence.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-04 18:00:51 by DLPB »

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: 2017-09-04 19:35:39 »
First love is absolutely correct in both cases (church and gongaga). I think the guy who made the clip just objects to Aerith using "boyfriend", and he has a point, but the title makes it sound like they weren't together, which is just wrong.

shikun

• View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: 2017-09-06 17:51:46 »
I found a glitch during the march, I talked to the Captain, and he got stuck on this dialog box, and Cloud could move freely across the screen, but couldn't proceed in any way. Picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsot5m5msn3ij5m/ff7%20march%20bug.jpg?dl=0

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: 2017-09-06 20:25:52 »
Yeah, this has been noted.  But how did you manage to do it? I need specific thing that you did?  Talked to him during a dialogue box?

shikun

• View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: 2017-09-06 21:14:31 »
i talked to him probably just before he says "Come back here!" which might have messed things up.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: 2017-09-06 21:16:03 »
Yeah the engine sucks.  It has real issues with anything that's simultaneous.  I'll find the problem and neutralize the sucker.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: 2017-09-08 14:48:57 »
charlie's proof checking goes on.  And so does the updating of all Red's dialogue.  Before he drops the act and after.

{RED XIII}
“A slave to the acquisition of wealth.
  …Sigh… Human nature.”
{RED XIII}
“G-give it back!
  It’s mine!!”

For example.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: 2017-09-09 02:41:48 »
Apart from mistakes, it's these kind of things that get helped greatly with a Japanese proof read:

before
Assistant Director
“Oh,this is terrible!
  Am… Am I fired?”

TV Producer
“Whaaaat!?
  You’re FIRED!!”{NEW}
“Send that soldier
  a bomb or something!”

After
Assistant Director
“Oh,this is terrible!
  Am… Am I fired?”

TV Producer
“Whaaaat!? You bet
  your ass you’re fired!!”{NEW}
“Send that soldier
  a bomb or something!”

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: 2017-09-09 11:39:28 »
charlie's proof checking goes on.  And so does the updating of all Red's dialogue.  Before he drops the act and after.

{RED XIII}
“A slave to the acquisition of wealth.
  …Sigh… Human nature.”
{RED XIII}
“G-give it back!
  It’s mine!!”

For example.

I'm really looking forward to playing with this change. I always knew that Red was technically still a teenager, but it's really cool that this actually affected his dialogue in the original. His character makes more sense now, and in some ways it also makes the post-credits scene more meaningful.

rayano

• View Profile
Re: Menu Reconstruction
« Reply #3842 on: 2017-09-09 12:09:04 »
IlDucci:
   Playstation icons
   Updated/tweaked textures

is it possible to get the ps1 icons without installing the entire mod? because i already have 7thHeaven and it includes the reunion mod.
thank you

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: 2017-09-09 14:04:04 »
is it possible to get the ps1 icons without installing the entire mod? because i already have 7thHeaven and it includes the reunion mod.
thank you

You'd have to extract the files from the installation and then add them to the correct lgp file using something like ulgp.

rayano

• View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: 2017-09-09 18:00:34 »
i have zero exp with this type of thing but i'll give it a try
thank you

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: 2017-09-15 08:01:56 »
I've fixed up my new sound module to disable the original one entirely.  This meant fixing the "bug" that exists with original PC game, where crashes happen when the driver isn't selected in ff7config.  That's now completely redundant.  When Audio Enhancement is active, midi folder and sound folder and music folder can also be deleted from root\data with no ill effects. They aren't loaded. No initialization happens. It's always best to leave them in case, for some reason, there is an issue with my dll.

The bug exists because when sound isn't detected for whatever reason, the function still tries to initialize it and certain values are returned from a few functions that lead to something the engine can't deal with.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-15 08:05:18 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: 2017-09-18 07:56:38 »
I used "butt naked" somewhere in localization (on train).  Turns out it's meant to be "buck naked".

https://owlcation.com/humanities/Is-it-Buck-Naked-or-Butt-Naked

But now it seems that both are fine... probably because so many made the mistake I did.  What would you go for, Covarr?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: 2017-09-18 14:14:51 »
Buck naked is correct, but the mistake is so common that it's not a mistake anymore. Hooray evolving language.

Obviously I didn't correct it in my first go-through because I don't think it's a big deal, but I would choose "buck" over "butt" if I were writing it myself.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: 2017-09-20 06:40:58 »
8)

I *think* I've just sorted the member priority to be based on menu order instead of what it is now (PHS initial selection dictates regardless of menu order).  This is a little more complicated than it seems, since Cloud in slot 2 should still take precedence as leader regardless of any other member's position. And if he isn't available, Tifa should, and if she isn't, then Cid should.  I have coded this and while I'm sure it could be more efficient... it won't be by much. I will test this next and see if it works as intended.

There's also a bug in the original game... the priority isn't even changed by the PHS unless certain switch operations to members are made.  This can lead to a lot of problems during cutscenes, where members not in the party will try to speak / have actions.

{
  Cloud: Byte = 0;
  Barrett: Byte = 1;
  Tifa: Byte = 2;
  Aerith: Byte = 3;
  Red: Byte = 4;
  Yuffie: Byte = 5;
  Cait: Byte = 6;
  Vincent: Byte = 7;
  Cid: Byte = 8;
  YCloud: Byte = 9;
  Sephiroth: Byte = 10;
  None: Byte = 255;
  DC0230 Party member order
  DC09E5 Party member priority}

Procedure SetMemberOrder; stdcall;
Var
  CloudExists, YCloudExists, TifaExists, CidExists: Boolean;
  Member: Array[0..2] of Byte;
  Menu: Array [0..2] of Byte;
  i: LongInt;
Begin

CloudExists:= false;
YCloudExists:= false;
TifaExists:= false;
CidExists:= false;

for i:= 0 to 2 do
begin
member[i]:= 254; // 255 is 'Empty', 0 is used by Cloud.
menu[i]:= PByte($DC0230 + i)^;

if menu[i] = 0 then // Cloud
    CloudExists:= True
  else
    if menu[i] = 9 then // YCloud
      YCloudExists:= True
    else
    if menu[i] = 2 then // Tifa
      TifaExists:= True
    else
      if menu[i] = 8 then //Cid
      CidExists:= True;
end;

if CloudExists then
  Member[0]:= 0
else
  if YCloudExists then
    Member[0]:= 9
  else
    if TifaExists then
      Member[0]:= 2
    else
      if CidExists then
        Member[0]:= 8
      else
        Member[0]:= Menu[0];

if Menu[i] <> Member[0] then
    if Member[1] = 254 then
      Member[1]:= Menu[i]
    else
      Member[2]:= Menu[i];

WByte($DC09E5 + i, Member[i]);

End;
« Last Edit: 2017-09-20 07:14:54 by DLPB »

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: 2017-09-20 07:13:51 »
The Reunion is becoming such a must-have that playing FFVII without it should be considered a crime... :-)