Author Topic: Need a Noob Tutorial? Try this Chocobo Tutorial FF7 + BOOTLEG  (Read 17500 times)

yeshuachrist

GETTING STARTED WHAT YOU WILL NEED

1. Your Retail, Copy so you can make an Image file (ebay.com/amazon.com good places to look)
2. Ultra ISO, so you can edit the FF7INSTALL Image you make of the disk (or another image editor)
3. Daemon Tools, so you can mount the FF7INSTALL Image file (or another image mounter program)
4. Winrar, so you can pack the contents of the FF7INSTALL Image into a .zip file (yes you need this and to mount the image for installation)
5. You need Bootleg Configurator 0038 http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12008.msg168306#msg168306
6. You need All of the files listed below for this guide, links can be found in the "Mod Listing" section of "BFE.exe (Bootleg Front End) when you run the program or here http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12503.msg173799#msg173799

Aeris_Patch_23_March_2011.rar
Avalanche GUI v2.0.8.exe
Avalanche High Res.exe
corel prison and bonus.rar
eidoslogo.avi
FacePalmer.zip
ff7music_install_15113.exe
ff7_opengl-0.7.11b.zip
Field Files Pack 1.rar (parts 1 to 5)
Final_Fantasy_VII_Remix_2-5-1_Installer.exe
FL-BSE v0.1.1 UPD.zip
FL-BSE v0.1.zip
FL-WME Beta.exe
MO.exe
magochocobo ff7 battle pack 2.rar
magochocobo png battle files.rar
magochocobo_ff7pack3.rar
tank_and_pirate_ship.zip
Trish(aka Mike)'s custom model pack.7z
yarLson Field Upscale Project v0.35.zip
data 7z.001 (parts 1 to 6)
ff7_enhanced_movies_1.part1.rar (parts 1 to 3, and 1 to 4, all seven parts)
OSTRe.7z

7. You will also need .NET 2.0 Installed, at least 30 gigs of free space (downloaded programs plus installation, after installation is complete about 10 gigs are installed, and you still have the installations files if you decide to keep them, suggest you back them up, you don't know when if any new releases will be made)

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS - (TO AVOID REGISTRY CORRUPTION, you must removed the 2 folders described below  from the FF7INSTALL disk image you make, and from the .zip contents, see instructions below) Do everything this guide tells you to do and there won't be a problem, after you see that it is working you do what you want to do -_-

1. BFE.exe and Bootleg.exe goes into the same folder as all the MODS you will install.  As you download the MODS, and put them into the folder where you put the MODS, you can see them turn green, provided they are selected on the configuration settings you will see below in this guide, and also provided you select the folder where they are from the "Mod Source" path in the "Installation Tab".  When you click the blue "Mod Listing" button you can see what you downloaded, make sure the files are named correctly.  You must have all the files referenced in this guide.

2. Open up "Ultra Iso", now make a .bin image file of your FF7INSTALL Disk.  Now open up your .bin image and delete the "directx" and "dxmedia" folders, now click "SAVE AS" from the File Menu and save the image as a .bin image.  You will need to mount this in daemon tools later on during installation (and you need to make a .zip pack see below)

3. Open up "Ultra Iso" again, this time you will dump all the files from the new .bin image of FF7INSTALL disk, into an empty folder.  Now inside this folder you will select all the files and right click your mouse and select "ADD TO ARCHIVE" so Winrar can make a .zip image.  You can name this FF7INSTALL.zip.  You should now have your edited FF7INSTALL.bin image file, and FF7INSTALL.zip archive file, you need both for installation, lets continue.

4. These are the Options I used with this Guide, the program tabs (Player/Models/Textures/Avatars/Game/Overhaul)

PLAYER TAB
Cloud Without Sword (Bloodshot)
Hi-Res Classic
Millenia
Cloud's Normal Hair Style
White Mesh Barret with Gun
Vincent's New Boots and Rifle
HD Sephiroth by Anifiga
Tifa's Normal Hair Style
Yuffie's Normal Hair Style
HQ Aerith
Masamune

MODELS
Bootlegged (Best of Show)
Assault Team Biggs
Assault Team Jessie
Assault Team Wedge
Tank and Pirate Ship
Submarine
HQ Highwind
No Change
Crisis Core
AC Vials
Huge Materials

TEXTURES
No Change
HD Buster by Wren Jr.
BlackFan+SL1982+FacePalm
Remove Glitched
Team Avalanche HR
No Change
Battle Scenes as PNG
Upscaled Magic

AVATARS - Custom - Left to Right by Row to Bottom
AC Round V5
AC Round V5
AC Round V4
AC Round V4
AC Round V5
AC Round V5
AC Round V5
AC Round V5
AC Round V5
AC Round V5
AC Round V5
AC Round V5

GAME
New SoundFX
Always Run Toggle
FinalFanTim OGG
Remix
H. Items Easy + Scene Redux
Aeris Revival
New Spell Names

MENU OVERHAUL
Style Switcher
9999 Break
Status Icons
Autosize Action Box
Coloured Items
Coloured Interface
Lucky Cait
Lucky Tia
ReTranslation
American Spelling
Sense Fix
3D Battler Fix
Clock Fix
Coaster Fix
Snowboard Fix
Script Fixes

5. Create an empty folder named FF7 in the root of Drive C, "C:\FF7" (without the quotes that is just the path). Now we will set the installation paths, from the "Installation Tab", I will include an example below:

Destination Location (path where the game with all mods is installed)
C:\FF7
Mod Source (path to your MODS you downloaded)
C:\Documents and Settings\Sunshine\Desktop\FF7 BOOTLEG + MODS
FF7 Install Image (path to the FF7INSTALL.zip image you created, yes you still need the .bin image too)
C:\Documents and Settings\Sunshine\Desktop\FF7 IMAGES\FF7INSTALL.zip
Bootleg.exe Location (path to the Bootleg.exe file should be with your MODS, as per instructions)
C:\Documents and Settings\Sunshine\Desktop\FF7 BOOTLEG + MODS
Temporary Files (path to temporary directory, when installation is complete, these files will be deleted)
C:\DOCUME~1\Sunshine\LOCALS~1\Temp

6. Now click the Run Bootleg button its red and on your right hand side, in Bootleg Front End.  When it begins you will recieve several prompts to install things, just press yes and continue, don't try to start the game until the installation is completely finished.  You will also be prompted to give the drive letter for the FF7INSTALL.bin Image you mounted, when you recieve this prompt, mount the FF7INSTALL.bin image with Daemon Tools, and put the drive letter in the command box and it will continue.  I will list the actions once you press the Run Bootleg Button below, for the options and configuration in this guide only:

log window pops up with some errors in it, thats ok just close it
FF7Music 1.51.12 Setup window pops up in your taskbar (so wait for it), select next, i agree, next, next, REMASTERED, now uncheck the box that says "Run FF7", and select finish.  (it will continue, if you do not select "remastered" you will have the music with the clicks from ps1)
Forfiles window pops up and shows an error, just press ok
Bootleg_Readme window pops up, close the window
Bootleg Front End window pops up when your finished, close the window, everything is installed
BootLoader window pops up, this is how you start the game, lets continue

7. Select Configure on the BootLoader Menu, these are all the values I have set for the three tabs: Main, System, and Pluggins below, whatever isn't listed is not checked, when your finished press the blue button "Write CFG":

MAIN
Screen Resolution: Width 1280 Height 960
Fullscreen
Preserve Aspect
VSync
CD-Rom D:\ (the path to your virtual drive where you will mount either FF7DISC1, FF7DISC2, FF7DISC3)
Movie Path C:\FF7\movies\
Mod Path bootleg
Transparent Dialogs
PBO
VBO

SYSTEM
Magic Defense Fix
Minigame Limiter
New Timer
Stable Timer
Better Rounding
Disable Popup

PLUGINS
Music Plugin plugins/ff7music.fgp
External Library
Multi.dll
Movie Plugin plugins/ffmpeg_movies.fgp
Post-processing Shader shaders/SmartBloom.post
Vert Shader shaders/main.vert
Frag Shader shaders/main.frag
YUV Shader shaders/yuv.frag

(just whats in this guide, a reminder don't select Break Limit 9999, leave it unchecked, you already have this option selected)

8. Now it will work fine, press Play FF7 to start the game, a FF7 music tab will pop up in your task bar, you must press "Run FF7" for it to work, not the game will launch, you must start FF7 from the FF7 BootLoader shortcut or .exe each time you want to play the game, and you must press "Run FF7" in the FF7 Music pop up box. (you must mount FF7DISC1 with your virtual drive and make sure the "Configure" has this drive letter selected or else it will error out because it won't find the disk)

SETTING UP A PC CONTROLLER TO PLAY THE GAME

You must use a joypad to keyboard button mapper program this one is free and easy to use XPADDER http://www.freewarefiles.com/downloads_counter.php?programid=21789 its also freeware.  Here are all the controls for FF7, listed briefly.

Numpad 8 = up
Numpad 4 = left
Numpad 6 = right
Numpad 2 = down
Numpad Enter = OK
Numpad 0 = CANCEL
Numpad + = Menu
Numpad . = shortcut to battle menu and materia menu switch (you can just not assign this one, view readme in your install fdr)
Numpad 9 = world map rotate left
Numpad 3 = world map rotate right
Numpad 7 = world map viewer
Numpad 5 = world map display switcher (you can just not assign this one, view readme in your install folder)
Numpad - = shows where you are and room exits

TO TAKE SCREENSHOTS

You can use the "Print Screen" button, and paste the images into a blank picture file, after you uncheck the "fullscreen" potion from the Bootloader-Configure Menu.  You can also recheck the Fullscreen option to re-enable full screen.

Looks great, remember do do exactly what this guide tells you to do, and don't forget to use the forums.......

« Last Edit: 2012-05-26 20:35:18 by yeshuachrist »

Slade

• View Profile
Good tutorial! I'd recommend using 7zip instead of winrar- no irritating "buy now plox" messages.

Also, I had no problems using the regular FF7 config menu to set up my PC gamepad. Is extra software really necessary?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
That Ex-SOLDIER should read Ex-Soldier

Assuming you are using M005a
What happened?

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
SETTING UP A PC CONTROLLER TO PLAY THE GAME
You should note not all gamepads require this software as the majority of them have softwares/drivers included with them which will still work
Good tutorial! I'd recommend using 7zip instead of winrar- no irritating "buy now plox" messages.

Also, I had no problems using the regular FF7 config menu to set up my PC gamepad. Is extra software really necessary?
Nope
TO TAKE SCREENSHOTS
You can use the "Print Screen" button, and paste the images into a blank picture file, after you uncheck the "fullscreen" potion optionfrom the Bootloader-Configure Menu.  You can also recheck the Fullscreen option to re-enable full screen.

Typo, anyways great tut there is one similar to this but oh well, this seems more explained and descriptive :)
« Last Edit: 2012-05-29 16:12:36 by e1sunz »

Mythic Prime

That Ex-SOLDIER should read Ex-Soldier

Assuming you are using M005a
What happened?

I had to figure this out too. When using the Bootleg Front End, if you enable English under Translate Text on the Game tab, it writes over the M005a ReTranslation.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
The ReTranslation provides it's own English language text.
If you use ReTranslation and leave the translate option on NO CHANGE, you will still end up with English text.

yeshuachrist

(At the moment i'm trying to get this hack to work on the online servers for starcraft1 https://rapidshare.com/files/2239965582/Patch_rt.rar, if you have starcraft for pc installed, all you have to do is replace the "Patch_rt.mpq", file with this one in your programs folder, it only works for campaign. (protoss cheap building, terran instant build, zerg stats increase). I ripped it from the "Altered Starcraft 1.1b" mod (which is designed not to allow you to play people online without them using this hack, the multiplayer mode crashes starcraft if you select it)

I'm not actually playing FF7 at the moment, I just wanted to install it without any problems, and didn't find any of the other guides that helpful, although they are nice guides.  So i guess i grabbed the previous release of the "Menu Overhaul Project" - MO.exe, instead of the current version.  I do plan on playing with it more later, and if you do everything this guide tells you to do, you won't have any installation problems.

EDIT

(Turns out it can work online when "MPQDraft patches it", the hack was a .mpq file, http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpqdraft/, this program replaces it in the starcraft.exe, only when it is run, this way it doesn't break the libraries, and I can get online with it, but it will crash because it doesn't match the patch mpq files for the current version of the game 1.16.1 with other users not using the patch - the hack itself just repacked the mpqdraft freesource program to being with, worthless, well probably make a thread about it at d3scene)
« Last Edit: 2012-05-30 20:32:16 by yeshuachrist »