Author Topic: Menu Overhaul: physical attack issue  (Read 3901 times)

ArchSublime

• View Profile
Menu Overhaul: physical attack issue
« on: 2016-09-26 18:28:14 »
It seems that for some odd reason using the MO from "The Reunion - Beacause and Menu Overhaul" pretty much completely breaks all forms of physical attacks, cutting their damage output by half or more. It affects limits even more (I'm dealing about 60 damage with cross-slash to regular enemies with the mythril saber at level 16) and this is the case for every character. When I disable this mod and use the regular ff7.exe, everything is perfectly fine. So I know it is definitely this mod. Quite unfortunate because I was highly impressed with the menus and texts! So if possible I would really like to figure out what's going on here.

I installed 7th heaven and the mods I am using over a completely fresh install of my Steam version. All my currently installed and activated mods were downloaded directly from the 7th Heaven catalog.

In the configuration for this mod:
Beacause - off
MO - on
Break 9999 limit - on (tested to see if this was the culprit, but it has no effect on damage output on or off)
Hand indicator - default
No battle boxes - off
No command box - off

Since I am not using Beacause I assumed I only needed to use the ff7_MO.exe, which I did. I would greatly appreciate any help with this!

Jotaro

• Star Platinum
    • View Profile
Re: Menu Overhaul: physical attack issue
« Reply #1 on: 2016-09-26 23:26:45 »
Yeah, this is an issue with the Menu Overhaul exe.
Essentially, it's actually the MO exe with the NT patch, so any changes made to the exe by NT are in the MO, and it can only be fixed by making an installation of the Reunion with MO, copying that exe, and then removing Reunion and manually putting in that copied MO exe, at least until the game patcher is fixed to include the correct exe.

ArchSublime

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-09-26 23:55:56 »
Not sure what NT is but since this sounds like I could mess something up trying to fix it I guess i'll have to go without MO for this playthrough lol. Thanks for clearing this up!

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2016-09-27 06:42:24 »
First time I've read of this. I'll look into the .exe that come with the GC.

ArchSublime

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-09-27 13:23:33 »
I can provide any files or info if you need anything. I forgot to mention it also seems to drastically change materia stats too, such as the cover materia (with a massive -10 strength penalty that isn't there normally). That however was not the cause of the physical damage decrease since I tested the difference with no materia equipped. Ill try to post some screenshots later on when I get off work to show what I'm talking about. Thanks for taking the time to look into this btw!

EDIT: Deactivating MO and using the regular exe reverts the materia back to their vanilla state.
« Last Edit: 2016-09-27 13:35:36 by ArchSublime »

Jotaro

• Star Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-09-27 19:47:27 »
I don't know if it's specifically NT, but I know for a fact that something was wrong with the MO exe, since I had that exact same problem when I first started using 7H.

ArchSublime

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-09-27 22:03:04 »
Is this version of the MO.exe like new or something? If it isn't I'm surprised this has never came up before. I don't suppose there's an older version somewhere?

Hey Jotaro, would you happen to have an MO exe that works correctly?
« Last Edit: 2016-09-27 22:07:13 by ArchSublime »

Jotaro

• Star Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-09-28 01:11:07 »
No, sorry, but if you have a copy of the 98 version you can use Tom's installer and apply the 1.02 patch, and then install the old Reunion, with Menu Overhaul, and then rename it to ff7_mo.exe.
I wish I could do more to help, but I've pretty much abandoned 7thHeaven until it gets cleaned up and I have a computer that can actually use postprocessing, so I didn't think of keeping a copy of that exe.
I might be able to get the executable for you, but it'll definitely take a bit.

Volkier

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-02-15 23:33:35 »
Confirm this is still the case as of this date. Think it's all damage, not just physical; "enemy skill Laser" is the easiest example to check this with as it supposed to do exact 1/2 of current hp in damage. Currently it does 1/2 of 1/2 (i.e. 1/4 of current hp in damage) - and I'm pretty sure it's counted as "magic" damage.

I do have an installed mo.exe in a different folder actually, but don't know if I want to fix it, as the game difficulty seems a lot better with this. Though to be honest, I like big numbers and character growth, so would far rather that instead all enemies simply had 2x the health. I know there are mods that 'buff' enemies, but they seem to do a whole lot of other things too (damage dealt, abilities, cooldowns etc.)

EDIT: So far tried using ff7.exe (renamed to ff7_mo) from my other PRP folder - which is patched to 1.02 and has the Reunion/MO standalone installed. Game crashed on first text box conversation.

I've tried installing the MO standalone over the 7th Heaven mod - game would not start (regardless of whether I have the actual mod enabled or not).

I also tried launching with ff7_bc.exe without having beaucause translation enabled - this seems to work, however the 1/2 damage still persists (tested with Enemy Skill "Laser" on a sand worm)

Would love if someone posts a working ff7_mo.exe here, or links to a mod where you can change the multipliers of enemy hp and own damage, if such a mod exists.

Cheers.

EDIT 2:

And just to mess with me, I just tested it with default ff7.exe with MO disabled, laser still does 375 instead of 750 damage on an enemy with 1500hp. Not sure what's broken any more and probably getting myself paranoid - just remember doing more damage in general with everything on the last several playthroughs? Can someone confirm what my physical attacks should be doing around mid 20s?

EDIT 3:

Weirdly enough, this seems to have fixed itself after leaving corel prison. I'm using ff7_mo.exe at the moment and % spells have been doing their correct % since cosmo canyon.
« Last Edit: 2019-02-17 00:00:44 by Volkier »