Author Topic: Doubts about FF7 Backgrounds  (Read 19982 times)

Borde

• View Profile
Doubts about FF7 Backgrounds
« on: 2006-05-23 10:36:03 »
Hello everyone.
I'm trying to make a patch to double the resolution of the backgrounds. I'm not really sure if I'll be able to finish it though. For now it's just an experiment.

In order to do it, I'm trying to get the backgrounds, double their resolution (turning 1 tile into 4), filtering and reinserting them into the field files. Of course I can see this won't look right in game because the image won't fit on the screen. I'd need to halve the size of the drawn tiles.
Thus It would be very helpful for me to know exactly where (offset) is the code that draws the backgrounds in the EXE. Yeah, you can call me lazy, but my hacking skills sucks and It would take me much more than waht you'd expect.

By the way, while I was trying to decode the images I used the information at GEARS.PDF. I found some information there that SEEMS (maybe I just didn't understand it well) incorrect. Particulary, I had to subrtact 50 bytes to the Raw Image data offset and add 2 bytes to find the correct Pallette entries. Am i doing something wrong or the information on the file is outdated?

Thanks for the help.

Synergy Blades

Re: Doubts about FF7 Backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-23 12:21:28 »
I've tried something similar for something I'm working on and it really doesn't work. I can import new backgrounds which look fine in Cosmo as well as my program, but the FF7 engine won't load them and crashes as soon as the field is loaded. I assume it's most likely because of the 'unknowns' in section 9 as well as the large number of unknowns in the tile structure. Until they're hammered out I don't think it'll be possible to do what you're suggesting though if you do manage to hack it some more, do let us know.

Yeah, I had some issues with offsets given in Gears too, though like you tweaking it somewhat seems to work.
« Last Edit: 2006-05-23 12:22:59 by Synergy Blades »

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-24 09:48:19 »
Well, that was pretty depressing Sinergy Blades  :cry:. Anyway, i'll give it a try. :-D

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-05-24 16:20:03 »
Well, that was pretty depressing Sinergy Blades  :cry:. Anyway, i'll give it a try. :-D
At least it was an honest response.

I decoded some of the background information for the PS1 variant.  To be certain there is a lot of information in the background.
There appears to be 4 subsections for the background information.  One is for the actual background tile information and one is for the animated overlay sections.  Another is likely for static overlay sections (IE tables).  The remaining one might be for indicating the second image inside the MIM.

Obviously you would want to modify the engine itself to give it a larger region for drawing the background data in.  Well good fortune :D

Cyb

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-05-24 19:40:07 »
Nah, not necesarily Cyb. If I haven't been fooled, the background in FF7PC is made of textured QUADS, so I simply need to divide the vertices coordinates by 2 befor they are entered at the Vtables to get smaller tiles. Of course, I'm not an expert and could very well be wrong.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-05-24 23:28:03 »
It's a real shame.  The other day I tried FF7 PSX on the ePSXe emulator.  I raised the resolutions to max within the emulator config and the backgrounds looked smooth as silk, though the battle and field models looked sub-par.  Ah, just to be able to get the best of both worlds.  Well with Q-Gears, the new engine will be written with some more flexibility, so I'm really looking forward to the end product, reguardless of how long it may take.  :-D

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 2006-05-25 01:45:18 »
The problem with the FF7 backgrounds are two fold.

1) The backgrounds are constructed of small square sprites. This means that when you use any kind of filtering algo, the filter stops on the sprite edge. This produces "cracks" on every sprite border.

2) The backgrounds have a real bright background color used for layer alignment debugging. This was to show there were no "holes" in the layers. If a bright color poked through, you needed  to fix the top layer. However, when you filter the layers, the bright debug colors "show through" the edges. This is becuase the pixel blending moves the pixels and exposes the debug color under it.

The current engine works like this (both PSX and PC)
1- Load the field file with the background broken into liitle square chunks.
2- Get where the camera is.
3- Render the lowest layer.
4- Figure out where the 3d entities are
5- If they are behind a particular Z threshold of the next layer, draw them.
6- Draw the next layer, overwriting any entities that are "behind" it.
7- go to 5 and loop for each closer layer.
8- Draw text boxes if needed.
9- flip the buffer, execute fieldscript, get input, update entity position and goto 2.

The only way to make the graphics look good in higher resolution is to  re-do the engine. It will work like this.

1- Render the whole background in low resolution with all the layers applied.
2- Take a "snapshot"
3- Increase the size of the whole background, applying whatever technology is needed to make them still look good.
4- Use the layers as a mask.
5- .....etc

In the pretend world of "Awesome", the layer mask could be vector-ized as opposed to using a bitmap overlay. This makes the "cuts" sharp at any resolution.

This is all fanciful thinking. But this would be the easiest way of doing it.
« Last Edit: 2006-05-25 01:48:43 by halkun »

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-05-27 21:02:36 »
I'm back. I've gone a bit further in my experiment and reinserted a background after filtering it. Here is the result:

Horrible, right? Well, let me explain the image a bit:
-There are some artifact (like the brown block where the stairwais should be) caused by my buggy loading routine.
-Some colors are wrong because of my poor saving routine. Currently it doesn't even add new pallettes. It just fills the empty colors found on the pallete and, when there is no more room for new colors, it reasignates the closest colors.
-There are some black squares. I don't have a clue where they come from, but I suspect I can find about it looking at LGPTools source code (because they are there if I preview this field there).
-The image overflows the screen. Obiously, because I don't know yet how to disable the pixel doubling (if someone told me how to do it, I'd be happy).

Anyway, the point of this image is showing that filtering the backgrounds is possible even without modifying the engine (well, just enough so that it draws the tiles smaller). The image won't look cracked as long as you apply the filter to the whole image.

By the way Synergy Blades, I think the reason why your backgrounds crash the game is not at section 9. I think your problem is at section 4. If you make it too large (adding too many color entries), the game crashes as soon as it tries to load the field. This is the reason why encoding images in the FF7 format is painfully hard.

Oh, one last thing. I found one more error at GEARS (in both pdf and wiki). There is a 4-byte field called nbColors. I don't know what it conatins, but I'm completly sure it's not the number of colors (at least not at that exact offset).

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-05-27 21:56:40 »
The only way to make the graphics look good in higher resolution is to  re-do the engine. It will work like this.
1- Render the whole background in low resolution with all the layers applied.
2- Take a "snapshot"
3- Increase the size of the whole background, applying whatever technology is needed to make them still look good.
4- Use the layers as a mask.
5- .....etc
This could be done as a pre-process, if you apply on each layer the layers that are in front of it. Alternatively you could use a dilution  process, to fill the pixels that are behind another layer from a border pixel, which should be enough to avoid artefacts when filtering. After filtering you can then fill everything with a mask colour again to improve compression.

Synergy Blades

« Reply #9 on: 2006-05-27 23:50:48 »
By the way Synergy Blades, I think the reason why your backgrounds crash the game is not at section 9. I think your problem is at section 4. If you make it too large (adding too many color entries), the game crashes as soon as it tries to load the field. This is the reason why encoding images in the FF7 format is painfully hard.

Thanks for that. Come to think of it my code does generate a hefty number of colours, so I'll take another look when I get more time.

EDIT: Actually it crashed with an image of only 10 colours (and hence only one palette page) but thinking about it, it *may* have been because I replaced uutai1 which has animated tiles (which I believe may be down to the script? - at least there's a script in there with a name sounding like it does animation) and as such the tiles aren't where it expects. Either that or it's because I had an issue with the documentation on the number of palette colours which didn't seem to correlate with the field files I examined.
« Last Edit: 2006-05-27 23:53:54 by Synergy Blades »

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-05-28 04:47:06 »
Well it's a start!

I think you will need to find the 'layer'/ 'sprite' info in the image first. if you are doubling your pixels for example you need to double your sprite sizes as well.

I believe that N colors is palette count likely.  is the PC variant anything like the MIM files in the PS1? If so it's a TIM with a striped header and a fixed number of palettes.  I recomend starting with one that has only a singular palette and a singular sprite entry.  You can use the nearest neighbor algo instead of a standard filter program.  IF the pallete has dark entries you can use these to add new in between colors are 'close' enough colors.  The palettes are fixed with 256 colors.  Be careful with black as well since this might be a transparent pixel.

If it's not similar to the PS1 format processing is much the same.
Looks like it's doable.  You might consider first enlarging then smoothing and then tweaking it.  Run it through a palette matching algo (IE the original palette plus whatever other colors you might need) for each section.  I THINK you can use a palette for more than one chunk of tiles as well.  As the palettes are determined inside the tile collection data :D  Again you need to sure you don't screw up transparent pixels.  Masks might be helpful as Micky suggested.

Cyb

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-05-29 06:57:09 »
Well Synergy Blades, maybe you are right. I haven't tried with an animated background yet. Anyway, if you wan't my code, I can send it to you. You may get some idea.
Cyberman, I don't know how this works in the PS1 version, but in the PC version the pallettes and the tiles collection are defined in a separate section. Particulary, the pallete is an enumeration of colors implicitly divided in 256-colors palletes. So yes, two tiles (or N tiles) can share the same pallette.
About the empty colors, yes, I'm keeping at least one empty. And the masked colors (those with the mask bit set to 1) are directly taken from the original tiles.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006-05-31 16:24:43 »
In the PS1 variant it's in a seperate file (tiles and palettes)
They use a modified TIM structure to do so.
The width is in words (multiply by 2 for pixels)
I am not going to post the TIM format :D

anyhow it sets up a palette swatch of tiles in 128x128 chunks in sections of 256 x 256.  Sounds complicated because it is :)

Anyhow the go through the tile collection data and render it to the display as needed it appears.

The real pain isn't how the tiles are stored but
palette information
tile location information.
Those two make things challenging :)

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-06-13 16:35:07 »
I'm back. It took me ages to figure out how FF7 draws the tiles (I told you, I'm really bad at hacking), but after long hours of debuging, I was able to render the image as It should be:

The first word that comes to my mind after looking at this image is... unimpresive. Well, I supose It's because of my filtering code. I should do something about it. But then again, I should think about those image artifacts that are still there :-P. If someone can provide me with more detailed information about the backgrounds (animations, transparencies...) I'd be glad.

NOTE: Of course, this hack screws the rest of the locations (they are rendered at half their normal size while the characters and walkmesh remain the same).

VincentVal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-06-13 19:07:33 »
Off note but You cloud model looks a bit.......... Cartoonish in size

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-06-13 19:16:52 »
Of course, I like it that way :-P All the other characters look that way in my version.

bluesummers182

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006-06-13 22:14:39 »
That looks quite good...

You don't even use the models from the NPC RP?  And you are part of it....

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-06-13 22:35:23 »
That looks quite good...

You don't even use the models from the NPC RP? And you are part of it....

Those are NPC RP models; he's just modified the model so that it's smaller. He's said he likes it that way. If you take a look at the guide he wrote, you too can modify the models to your liking!

Sheesh! :-P

bluesummers182

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006-06-14 07:44:19 »
First off i was kidding.  And no technically they arent... because they are modified.  He keeps them all SD (which makes them look ugly in my opinion) but w/e.

I like the models in the NPC RC.

Anyways that background looks awesome.  So we might be able to see higher res backgrounds?

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006-06-14 16:26:30 »
I'm back. It took me ages to figure out how FF7 draws the tiles (I told you, I'm really bad at hacking), but after long hours of debuging, I was able to render the image as It should be:
<Image removed fore simplicity>
The first word that comes to my mind after looking at this image is... unimpresive. Well, I supose It's because of my filtering code. I should do something about it. But then again, I should think about those image artifacts that are still there :-P. If someone can provide me with more detailed information about the backgrounds (animations, transparencies...) I'd be glad.

NOTE: Of course, this hack screws the rest of the locations (they are rendered at half their normal size while the characters and walkmesh remain the same).
I would say that's a marked improvement.  That pattern might be an encoding issue (with your data) since it's present in both variants.  Who really knows.
After software filtering perhaps you could have the image touched up by a pixel artist? That might give larger improvements in visual quality.  You can then reduce colors as needed later.  If you can figure out how to safely add more palettes there is that option as well.

Cyb

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006-06-14 16:37:40 »
(...)which makes them look ugly in my opinion(...)

Exactly. Your opinion.

In this situation, that's all it boils down to. Discussion over. :lol:

bluesummers182

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006-06-14 19:25:58 »
ANYWAYS... How's this going? Any improvements?

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006-06-15 11:02:19 »
Well Cyb, I finally was able to add new pallettes. As a result, I've been able to improve the colors (althought they are not as good as i'd like yet). However, I found a rellay stupid constraint about the number of colors: you can't have more than 13057. If you try to add one more, the game crashes. Frankly, I don't get it. This number isn't even a multiple of 256.
I was also able to remove some image artifacts (mostly the brown blocks). However, I haven't managed to remove those black squares (that only seem to afect the foreground) nor that strange green cloud. I had a look at LGPTools source code, but couldn't find the code that draws the backgrounds. I found It at the shared code, but it looked horribly outdated (it did nothing about transparencies nor animations). as usual, if someone can point me to a more complet version, I'd be glad.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006-06-15 18:11:01 »
13057 might not be, but 13056 is. I'm not sure where that extra one comes from.

VincentVal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006-06-15 18:14:29 »
Hmm, One extra color? A mystery to me! ( white )