Author Topic: Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8 [v0.8.1b]  (Read 427977 times)

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
Re: Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8 [v0.8.1b]
« Reply #50 on: 2014-01-21 15:35:21 »
Okay, Thanks Daniel, I'll re-try this evening without my antivirus.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2014-01-21 15:50:05 »
The new Anxious Heart does everything for you, including renames.  :)

Should have checked that first, spent ages renaming them all xD

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #52 on: 2014-01-21 16:43:51 »
The last thing I'm having trouble with as far as upgrading is the new sound effects mod. The directions on the thread sound a little iffy like I have to convert them with something, and there's three different download options. The ones installed with bootleg, likely the same anyway, sound good and have always worked fine. I'm just not positive what folder the new ones installed by bootleg are in, and where they need to go with the new driver after just using a converter and the Reunion. If I pulled out the bootleg installed folder would it work with a freshly converted game, the Reunion, and the new driver or would they need renaming as well? 

~Went through the folders to get an idea of where bootleg puts everything and what it is. For anyone interested it is the data\sound file, I wasn't sure if it was put into another folder but it's installed over the originals.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-21 18:45:24 by cmh175 »

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #53 on: 2014-01-21 20:28:37 »
Windowed Mode works correctly for me, but I have also inserted the correct registry keys (see above)

I'm gonna try a few more things, but in case I don't hit the right solution, mind telling me how? I double clicked and "ran" the registry key "program" after setting my stuff up in the config file, which I was pretty sure was what you needed to do?

Do forgive my noobishness, as I have a feeling it's responsible for the majority of my problems here.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2014-01-21 20:47:09 »
I'm gonna try a few more things, but in case I don't hit the right solution, mind telling me how? I double clicked and "ran" the registry key "program" after setting my stuff up in the config file, which I was pretty sure was what you needed to do?

Do forgive my noobishness, as I have a feeling it's responsible for the majority of my problems here.
I suspect it's a UAC problem. Don't open the config file directly from Windows. Run notepad or your text editor of choice as administrator, and then open the config from there. Apply your edits as needed and save.

Long story short, it's Microsoft's fault. :P

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #55 on: 2014-01-21 23:11:16 »
I suspect it's a UAC problem. Don't open the config file directly from Windows. Run notepad or your text editor of choice as administrator, and then open the config from there. Apply your edits as needed and save.

Long story short, it's Microsoft's fault. :P

Um well, I tried opening the config file as such and I got a ton of gibberish (for the most part, there was a handful of actual readable words)? Unless you meant the opengl thing and it just didn't do any good. I tried opening the registry editor one too, and while the words made sense I'm not sure if there's anything I can do with it.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-21 23:17:58 by mugenginga »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2014-01-21 23:20:35 »
Yeah, I meant ff7_opengl.cfg

The thing is, by default, Windows won't let you edit anything in the Program Files folder. If you try to, it'll silently save a copy in its hidden "VirtualStore" and leave the original alone. The only problem is, the driver reads the original. If you run notepad as administrator, it'll allow you to save the real thing instead of the VirtualStore copy.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #57 on: 2014-01-21 23:22:38 »

The thing is, by default, Windows won't let you edit anything in the Program Files folder. If you try to, it'll silently save a copy in its hidden "VirtualStore" and leave the original alone. The only problem is, the driver reads the original. If you run notepad as administrator, it'll allow you to save the real thing instead of the VirtualStore copy.

I did, and no dice. Twice as a matter of fact, although I ran Notepad as an Administrator from the Start Menu, I'll go try to find it's actual source and do so from there. I will note I didn't have these problems with the 7.11 version I was using previously.

Same results, and the changes seem to be there no matter how I open the cfg file. Feel free to suggest other fixes, I'm willing to try anything at this point.  Wondering if applying the registry changes manually would make a change, although I'd definitely have to ask Google how to go about that.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-21 23:37:01 by mugenginga »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2014-01-21 23:22:57 »

Who on earth at MS thought that would be a good idea?

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #59 on: 2014-01-22 02:23:11 »
Custom Driver is STILL not coming up as an option and the window thing just won't work, no matter how many times I uninstall, remove registry files related, and install.  Highly frustrated at this point!

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #60 on: 2014-01-22 02:27:54 »
Custom Driver is STILL not coming up as an option and the window thing just won't work, no matter how many times I uninstall, remove registry files related, and install.  Highly frustrated at this point!

Don't open the old config file (chocobo icon) after using the registry file that came with the driver. The old configuration file is outdated. If you run it, it will overwrite the registry changes from the registry file and cause the game to crash.

1. Run the old config file (chocobo icon)
2. Set your sound driver (Custom driver will NOT be available for the video)
3. Run the registry file
4. Start the game

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #61 on: 2014-01-22 02:38:45 »
Don't open the old config file (chocobo icon) after using the registry file that came with the driver. The old configuration file is outdated. If you run it, it will overwrite the registry changes from the registry file and cause the game to crash.

1. Run the old config file (chocobo icon)
2. Set your sound driver (Custom driver will NOT be available for the video)
3. Run the registry file
4. Start the game

Same results, game opens without crashing (as always - well, when I don't have any mods installed it did crash when I had Anxious Heart and Reunion applied) but the program refuses to open in windowed mode.

EDIT/UPDATE: Okay so I tried with 7.11 and it's not working now either! If anybody knows what could be causing it, do let me know, but I think it's probably some super simple idiotic thing I've done rather than anything else. OTL I'll continue messing with it, I've got a great tech friend I'll pester about it when he gets on again.

UPDATE: Welp, attempted again.  Deleted the junk in my Virtual Store folder beforehand, too.  No luck. I actually have the APP log after this failure (finally found it) if anyone think that would be useful, although I don't know what parts count as 'relevant'.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-22 04:43:30 by mugenginga »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2014-01-22 06:49:34 »
Hi mugenginga

I'm not sure whether Aalis driver with you is really running.
That's why I changed the reg file from Aali something.
Just try it and tell if it works.

ff7_opengl_corrected.reg

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #63 on: 2014-01-22 07:55:37 »
Oh my gosh guys, I feel like a complete and total idiot.  I did a complete uninstall (like five times now in troubleshooting this). You know what I was doing wrong? I FORGOT TO APPLY THE UPDATE PATCH. IT WORKS GREAT NOW.

I knew it was something simple and idiotic

Thanks for all your help, guys, and I am SO SORRY my brain fart caused you problems.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #64 on: 2014-01-22 11:21:42 »
You are talking about the old version? Can you please post the link for the update patch because I too seem to have forgotten which one is that...

Well... I found this ff7_1.02.zip (Official 1.02 Patch) in Tifa's Package thread but the link seems to not be working.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-22 11:28:58 by LeonhartGR »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2014-01-22 11:40:36 »
The games converter should already have the patch (actually you can say it is a multi lingual patch).

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #66 on: 2014-01-22 15:13:01 »
@ - Kaldarasha Converter? I'm using the original '98 PC version, not the Steam one, assuming that's what you meant.

@Leonhart - It can be a bit tricky to find, so sure.  This is the link I used: http://www.gamefront.com/files/2952477/Final-Fantasy-7-Retail-v1.02-Patch/

You have to fill out the stupid questionnaire to get the download link but it doesn't really ask you for personal details, although it probably wouldn't hurt to run a virus scan after just to be on the safe side.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2014-01-22 15:35:29 »
Providing it's legal I don't mind uploading it to my drive for everyone to use. I have a store of pretty much every ff7 mod I've ever used haha

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2014-01-22 16:09:32 »
@ - Kaldarasha Converter? I'm using the original '98 PC version, not the Steam one, assuming that's what you meant.

@Leonhart - It can be a bit tricky to find, so sure.  This is the link I used: http://www.gamefront.com/files/2952477/Final-Fantasy-7-Retail-v1.02-Patch/

You have to fill out the stupid questionnaire to get the download link but it doesn't really ask you for personal details, although it probably wouldn't hurt to run a virus scan after just to be on the safe side.

No, I really mean to use it as a patch. It should install everything which is needed (the 1.02 ff7.exe and the FF7Config.exe)

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #69 on: 2014-01-22 18:09:39 »
Oh my gosh guys, I feel like a complete and total idiot.  I did a complete uninstall (like five times now in troubleshooting this). You know what I was doing wrong? I FORGOT TO APPLY THE UPDATE PATCH. IT WORKS GREAT NOW.

I knew it was something simple and idiotic

Thanks for all your help, guys, and I am SO SORRY my brain fart caused you problems.

Troubleshooting new mods tends to go this way. My transition from bootleg to the new driver and just the reunion was pretty similar. Kept finding things I was missing bootleg also installed, quite a few aren't on the forum anymore too. Trying to figure out the limited ram issue also had a few re-installations. 

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2014-01-22 18:21:48 »
Heh, in the old days of FF7 modding, we didn't have Bootleg or Remix or any other complete packages. You had to use a different tool for everything, and some of it was really good, but a lot of it was only as good as could be managed with the limited research and understanding of the game's inner workings at the time. Just to play the game from start to finish, you needed to get the 1.02 update from Eidos, and Qhimm's own Chocobo patch. If you wanted to replace the music, you had to use FF7Music, which only worked with MP3s at the time (no nice looping). Playing the game at higher than 640x480 meant using The SaiNt's HD patch, which was buggy and only supported exact multiples of 640x480.

So, mugenginga, you shouldn't feel like "a complete and total idiot". The average user these days doesn't need to know more than "run bootleg, play game", so it's completely understandable if you're not in the habit of all the manual installations and incompatibilities that people like titeguy3, PitBrat, and EQ2Alyza have worked so hard to shield users from. Much like a modern computer user foraying into the command line, it simply isn't easy at first.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2014-01-22 20:22:20 »
...And all the debugging done to make Bootleg work. It's a tedious task, and I don't wish anyone else to do it >_>

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #72 on: 2014-01-23 07:32:05 »
No, I really mean to use it as a patch. It should install everything which is needed (the 1.02 ff7.exe and the FF7Config.exe)

Oh! Haha, I'll have to remember that cause it's gotten old enough (and what with Steam, considered out-dated enough) to find online.

@Covarr - Oh good, that makes me feel a lot better!  I've always admired modders actually, some of the stuff that's considered standard practice for them makes my brain go spinny.  I remember having a similar experience the first time I looked at Photoshop and now I'm so good at it I have trouble teaching it to people (I'm generally a horrible teacher overall), so I get it's definitely a study/practice thing, but wow. XD
« Last Edit: 2014-01-23 07:37:28 by mugenginga »

Thug

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2014-01-23 07:37:10 »
You are talking about the old version? Can you please post the link for the update patch because I too seem to have forgotten which one is that...

Well... I found this ff7_1.02.zip (Official 1.02 Patch) in Tifa's Package thread but the link seems to not be working.

I believe I saw it on eidos.com a few years ago, but it redirects to SE official website now. I have even written to SE tech support yesterday searching for the patch, and here what they've answered me:

Dear Thug,

Thank you for contacting the Square Enix Support Centre.

We are very sorry to inform you that the Official Patches for Final Fantasy VII 1998, PC version are not more available.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need more information.
 Kind regards,

The Square Enix Support Centre team

Sad, but SE no longer supports their old PC version release.

Providing it's legal I don't mind uploading it to my drive for everyone to use. I have a store of pretty much every ff7 mod I've ever used haha
That would be great. That thing should be widely available.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-23 07:59:23 by Thug »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2014-01-23 12:47:56 »
I'll upload it after work tonight. Sorry for semi high jacking your thread Aali.