Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 704029 times)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Wall Market, FFVII KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #525 on: 2009-07-09 03:30:54 »
I'm having an issue. When i finished editing the descriptions of of all my spells. But when i try to use my kernal2 file it crashes. Any idea why?

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: 2009-07-09 05:18:25 »
sometimes the data doesn't write correctly like sometimes if i create a new name i come back to find other names are messed up.

also if you make spells do what they can't do, it will crash. i tried to make ultima hit multiple times...couldn't do it and it crashed.

also NFIT, is there a way i can make an accessory have the effect of peerless? or make it so that the wearer is invulnerable? i made it so that vincent is sephiroth in battle, with the exception that he isn't invincible.

i kinda want his invulnerability to be easily done, i made it so that a specific armor makes almost all attacks hit 0 (except non ele magic, and special non-physical attacks) but that doesn't seem to be enough

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: 2009-07-09 05:27:01 »
Oh, Well the names were fine thats why i'm confused. Just reloaded everything on Wallmarket and the names and everything are the same. BUT! i added that tetra disaster did all four elements instead of One

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: 2009-07-09 05:48:46 »
tetra disaster does 3 elements... (the kujata summon right?)

well what i would suggest is to check and see if you made the attack try to do something it can't. like if you made it do multiple hits it would crash.

but specificly: what is it that crashes? the game when you try and use something that was in kernel2 or is it when you try and create a new kernel2 file?

if i make any changes to anything i always choose the option of creating kernel1 and 2 so that i cover everything.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: 2009-07-09 05:54:33 »
I did the same. But sadly still doesn't work. Using the defaults. works fine, When i change just the names. Works fine (well some of them)

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: 2009-07-09 06:03:17 »
You probably did it this way already but just to make sure, you pressed on the pc tab at the bottom and then went over to the name of the attack and double clicked it then changed it right?

i hope i'm not stepping out of bounds, but if you want i could make a copy of my kernel, modify it so that it works the way you want and then e-mail it to you? it would be no trouble on my end to do so.

of course feel free to say no thanks i just thought that this would help  :|
« Last Edit: 2009-07-09 06:08:08 by Xelane »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #531 on: 2009-07-09 19:21:36 »
Whoa. I let this go for a while and look what happens. :)

d33eniz: Sorry man. I don't know what to tell you. System.InvalidOperationException is just a little too vague. I'm not sure what to do about that.

Xelane & hellgringer 616: most of the "solutions" to your issues are in the readme.

1. The Attacks with index >= 128 are grayed out because they aren't in the KERNEL.BIN, but their names are. They're only there to let you edit the names and stuff.

2. Make sure you're on PC mode (if you're editing the PC) and create the kernel2.bin as well. Then your name changes will be reflected. Also, make sure that your kernel2.bin is in the same directory as your KERNEL.BIN is. However, this should only cause an error when you load the kernel2.bin, not when you save. If you're having problems saving, tell me what you did and post the error message you get.

3. I don't know how to give an accessory Peerless, but the only way to do it would be by modifying 0x05 manually (double-click and change it) to something that isn't listed. This may not do anything, but there are a lot of possibilities (there are 256 options and only 7 are used). Akari might know better, but I doubt anything other than the known values in those locations would do anything.

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: 2009-07-09 22:14:46 »
Hey NFIT thanks for helping us out. Hopefully this fixes hellbringer's problem

as for peerless...well that looks like alot of work, and it might not even work.
Maybe i will toy with it to see if it holds any amusing results.

but when you say 0x05 are you reffering to the raw data?

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: 2009-07-10 03:45:52 »
Alright i'll check out the readme. I did click the PC tab. and when i changed JUST the names it worked fine. So i think it's a descriptions limit.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #534 on: 2009-07-10 04:29:10 »
Xelane: Yes. I mean in the raw data. Double-click on the accessory and it's the sixth byte from the left

hellbringer616: I had theorized that there might not be a limit on the PC version, but I never actually tested that. I thought some of the descriptions were long enough for the game to display them in two windows, but maybe not...
Great Gospel's description is the longest text there is in battle at 57 on-screen characters and that's preceded by the two "Red Box" characters (FC 02, I think) so that's 60 bytes total counting the terminator.
Menu descriptions go as high as 63 (including terminators) for the ShinRa building keycard descriptions and that one really long string of random battle text that we never see is 71 bytes (also including the terminator). I'd place that at the limit if there is one. So try to keep your in-battle descriptions (on all non-key items) less than 70 characters. Maybe less than 58.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: 2009-07-11 19:57:20 »
Yeah my longest was 78. Probably why it crashed :-D

EDIT: works with the max at 69. Probably will test to see actual maximum limit.

Once the true limit is found would it me hard to add a description text limiter? So's to avoid this problem haha.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-11 20:16:32 by hellbringer616 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: 2009-07-18 16:04:50 »
At the request of another, I bring this question:

Quote from: Seifer Almasy
I cannot change the "elemental" screen data (this is found in STATUS menu). Hence I cannot change Ice to Cold.

I also can't change ability subheadings. Like for example, I change cover materia to read "protection" but the ability sub heading still reads cover.

We need to be able to change the status screen elemental names and also the materia sub headings which seem to be collected from same are.

Is this not implemented or is it not inside the kernal files?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #537 on: 2009-07-18 20:56:27 »
I cannot change the "elemental" screen data (this is found in STATUS menu). Hence I cannot change Ice to Cold.

I played with the idea of this for a while. There are specific texts in the battle text that are the names of elements that show up during scan. The only reason I didn't use these is because "Ice" is listed as "Cold" in that list, but no where else in the game. It's an Ice materia, Ice attacks, Ice elemental damage. The term is used interchangeably in the game (a tribute to poor translation). Also that the "Hidden" element has no name. I suppose that doesn't matter as much. This probably does need to be changed to allow for this.

I also can't change ability subheadings. Like for example, I change cover materia to read "protection" but the ability sub heading still reads cover.

I don't know what you mean by "ability sub heading". Please elaborate.

We need to be able to change the status screen elemental names and also the materia sub headings which seem to be collected from same are.

Is this not implemented or is it not inside the kernal files?

This in formation is not in the KERNEL.BIN. It's likely handled in the menu data. I'm not quite sure where this is.

seifer temp

« Reply #538 on: 2009-07-20 13:50:02 »
I understand that the data is in another file?  Not kernal.  The pity is, without such a tool, it is impossible to edit the items underlined in red >

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/SeiferAlmasy2008/111.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/SeiferAlmasy2008/222.jpg

Also, 2 small bug I found.

If you are editing a name from say "Fire" to "fire"  it won't update on screen because it is justa  case change.  Doesn't seem to see the change.

Keep up the good work :)  The proper translations from the japanese game btw are:

Ice = Cold
Fire = Flame/Blaze
Lightning = Possibly Thunder but can be either

bug 2:

If I try to edit the description area of "attack"  in the command tab to "attacks with the equipped weapon"  and not "attack with the equipped weapon"  it will not update at all.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-20 14:07:17 by seifer temp »

seifer temp

« Reply #539 on: 2009-07-20 15:13:42 »
I may have also worked out what 0002h is.

I used phoenix summon which uses this....and the enemy stopped.  Maybe it inflicts a random status?

I certainly don't remember phoenix stopping opponents before and it does not appear to be one of its attributes.

« Last Edit: 2009-07-20 15:15:43 by seifer temp »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #540 on: 2009-07-20 18:53:12 »
I understand that the data is in another file?  Not kernal.  The pity is, without such a tool, it is impossible to edit the items underlined in red >

That's what I thought you meant. No, that data is not in the KERNEL.BIN. Again, not sure where it is.

Also, 2 small bug I found.

If you are editing a name from say "Fire" to "fire"  it won't update on screen because it is justa  case change.  Doesn't seem to see the change.

Keep up the good work :)  The proper translations from the japanese game btw are:

Ice = Cold
Fire = Flame/Blaze
Lightning = Possibly Thunder but can be either

bug 2:

If I try to edit the description area of "attack"  in the command tab to "attacks with the equipped weapon"  and not "attack with the equipped weapon"  it will not update at all.

The first one is interesting. I don't know why it's not working. I'll have a look at it.
The second one I couldn't duplicate. I am not having this problem.

I may have also worked out what 0002h is.

I used phoenix summon which uses this....and the enemy stopped.  Maybe it inflicts a random status?

I certainly don't remember phoenix stopping opponents before and it does not appear to be one of its attributes.

Not likely. Phoenix, as well as all the other summons, use this flag. No, it doesn't stop normally and I have no idea why it might have in your case. It's more likely something to do with damage calculation or animation. For a complete list of attacks that use it, see the Attack Special Properties page on the wiki.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: 2009-07-20 20:34:33 »

That's what I thought you meant. No, that data is not in the KERNEL.BIN. Again, not sure where it is.

Have a look in ff7.exe for this (search for text strings like "IRE" and "OVER" using a hex editor). Nearly everything in the menu that isn't in the kernel.bin is in there. Just remember to be extra careful when editing the executable and don't go around sticking great huge descriptions in there; if you do, you'll break it.

Also:

>seifer temp
>seifer
>i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/SeiferAlmasy2008/111.jpg
>SeiferAlmasy

I'm intrigued...
« Last Edit: 2009-07-20 20:50:31 by Kudistos Megistos »

Makubex

« Reply #542 on: 2009-07-20 21:02:35 »
Are you suggesting that this is the very same seifer almasy that left because he got attacked verbally due to his arrogant nature?
Because if you are, and if you aren't, this is quite intriguing.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: 2009-07-20 21:22:44 »
Well, I shan't get into a debate about the drama that happened here a couple of months ago, this is almost certainly our seifer (some of the materia names are from the retranslation project). I do hope that things won't flare up again now that they've been quiet for a while, but that's wishful thinking.

Makubex

« Reply #544 on: 2009-07-20 21:24:39 »
Indeed. I will hold my tongue as well, I do not wish for another useless, time consuming argument.

seifer temp

« Reply #545 on: 2009-07-21 00:37:55 »
yes it is me, hence seifer temp, and arrogance is often a strength.  Temp because I will  prob be offski very soon again :P

any case, it is the retranslation project that brought me back.

Phoenix shouldnt "stop" enemies....but it certainly did....

I will report anything else I find, at moment things are going pretty well...The other info according to Gemini was present in the japanese kernal but has been moved elsewhere for english and PC
« Last Edit: 2009-07-21 00:40:17 by seifer temp »

Jari

« Reply #546 on: 2009-07-21 00:49:21 »
yes it is me, hence seifer temp, and arrogance is often a strength.  Temp because I will  prob be offski very soon again :P

You probably will be, if you continue to think so.

Your choice. *shrugs*

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #547 on: 2009-07-21 02:23:11 »

Arrogance is not a quality I like to see in the community, but there should be no reason for it in the first place. There are really two real social rules here.

"Be excellent to each other."
and
"Don't be a Dick"

Even with my mod-hat, I can be very forgiving, Just don't make e angry, You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. :)

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: 2009-07-21 06:14:21 »
but I LOVE you when you're angry  :cry:

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #549 on: 2009-07-23 13:49:35 »
So I thought I'd share the following just for the heck of sharing. I've also got some WM-related news to divulge, but that'll come second. :)

First, the non-WM:
I finally bought and started FFXII for the first time a few weeks ago. I've been playing on and off and just been frustrated how hard it is to get gil in that game. I understand that I'm supposed to sell loot and get cool things that way, but early in the game it just doesn't come as often as I'd like. Oh well. That said, I recently came to the point in the story where I was able to do the Negalmuur auto-leveling trick. The party I sent in has an average level of 32, but that didn't worry me cause they were able to kill the Ghasts easily outside of that. This is the story of my luck with that.
I followed GFAQs guide to the letter when it comes to the gambits. I got Foe < 3000 HP out of a chest in the wayshrine and thought "What luck!" before I realized that it doesn't cost more than 50 gil and if the gambit weren't in the chest there might have been 80 gil instead which I could have bought that Gambit and made a profit from it. Heh. Go figure.
So I got the place where Negalmuur spawns and kill everything in there and wait for him to spawn. I get him to show and the "battle" begins. He starts summoning minions (which surprisingly doesn't cost him MP) and I kill them very quickly when they show up. Even while hasting him and at the highest battle speed I realize how long this is going to take. :( So I watch for about 20 mins before I convinced that it'll hold its own. I'm about to change the TV to watch something else when it happens. :O Ashe gets confused and gets in a 6-hit combo on Basch (the current party leader) and kills him!! Most unfortunate, but I correct it and just call it a 1-in-a-million chance of it happening again. Most interesting thing about that is that her confuse status was cured in the middle of her combo, but she kept wailing on him. Anyway, I leave it running overnight checking on it once during the night literally just in time to see it break. I fix it again and go to sleep.
This morning I got up to stop it (it was successful and they each gained at least 19 levels) because I had to come to work and I was going to the teleport crystal to sell the phat 100t I gained from all that when the two nightwalkers that are right next to the waycrystal in the main room attack me. I don't want to bother with them, but they teleport so they have no range! My gambits were still set for the negalmuur fight and these things weren't getting attacked back. Worse than even that, I try to leave through the door to the outside and I couldn't get lined up right or something and it wouldn't give me the option to leave!! These nightwalkers killed these three newly-buffed guys! I switched to the three reserves and two of them get killed almost instantly. I had to use four phoenix downs to prevent from getting a game over right there. I barely managed to escape into a side room, heal, and kill the nightwalkers before saving. :O Scariest moment of my life!
It was more dramatic than I tell it; You'll just have to believe me. ;)

OK, on to WM.
Firstly, I was looking at it lately as Seifer mentioned about the elemental labels and stuff. This is possible since there are slots in the Battle Text that spell out the elements' names that are used when a scan is performed. Only issue is that "Holy Power" and "Restorative" are defaults for "Holy" and "Health". This makes the label to those elements long and partially obscured by the elements to their right.
Secondly, I don't understand why the lists aren't being changed when you change "Fire" to "fire". It does reassign the name and should properly be created if you remake the text section. I haven't tried that so don't take my word on it. I'll look into it more this weekend.
Thirdly, there have been significant changes in the way PrC deals with AI that haven't been reflected in WM yet. It's ALMOST as easy as copy-pasting code. I'll look into that this weekend too.
Fourthly, I fixed the level three materia AP issue a while back but didn't see much of a need to update since the raw data editing works.

I plan on releasing a new version with these fixes before Monday of next week. Does anyone have anything more to add that they'd like to see?