Author Topic: *Team Avalanche: WMRP(WorldMap Retexture Project)*  (Read 193032 times)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: *Team Avalance: WMRP(WorldMap Retexture Project)*
« Reply #150 on: 2009-09-14 19:35:51 »
palmer is just for 2d field backgrounds, i assume he uses photoshop shop, and i don't believe he resizes any textures. they are all hand made, right pyrozen?
i resize the originals by x8 ajd use them as a template to build my new images.  Everything i've created so far has been 100% created by me, no prefrab texture pulled from the internet.  I use GiMP for most of my work, and PS for some more delicate work.  Sucks that my PS trial is over in a week though :P

Oooh u better hurry up then

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 2009-09-14 19:39:55 »
yea post screens wip or ingame asap, that n good to post that your gonna work on something even before you start, incase someone else tries.

Haven't seen them in game yet though, need to get some more save games first.

EDIT: Seems the building don't like textures at higher resolutions than the originals, bugger, tried a 512x512 temple was only using the bottom left of the image and at 64x64 you can't see any detail.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-14 20:06:07 by DragonNinja »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 2009-09-14 21:33:50 »
I would like to mention there is a typo in the thread name :P I didnt know there was a team avalance

Matt2Tees

• Sauntam/MXster/Machinimatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 2009-09-14 21:36:50 »
I would like to mention there is a typo in the thread name :P I didnt know there was a team avalance

Very perceptive of you  :-)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
Re: *Team Avalanche: WMRP(WorldMap Retexture Project)*
« Reply #154 on: 2009-09-15 01:01:08 »
*fixed*  Ya know i could get alot more done if i didn't have to deal with your busy work ;)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 2009-09-18 00:59:21 »
small update, i've finished the sand and dirt completely.  I have one grass texture i need to ever so slightly tweak and that will be finished as well.  My next objective is the beaches, then snow, then mountains.  I still need to do the forests, but they are easy and will be completed as i feel like it :)

lee

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 2009-09-18 01:07:41 »
small update, i've finished the sand and dirt completely.  I have one grass texture i need to ever so slightly tweak and that will be finished as well.  My next objective is the beaches, then snow, then mountains.  I still need to do the forests, but they are easy and will be completed as i feel like it :)

lee

Awesome work! Cant wait to add it to the release

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 2009-09-18 01:24:54 »
As awesome as this mod looks (and it does look frigging amazing) I have to wonder how much of a slow down this mod will create.

It might not even be noticeable if each texture is relatively small (I'm not sure of their resolution or the logistics of how much this will effect smoothness of gameplay).
pyrozen, I assume since you're creating and testing this mod you'd hold the answers to my worries.  What say you?

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 2009-09-18 01:25:46 »
This and that are different ...meh! :lol:

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 2009-09-18 01:47:15 »
As awesome as this mod looks (and it does look frigging amazing) I have to wonder how much of a slow down this mod will create.

It might not even be noticeable if each texture is relatively small (I'm not sure of their resolution or the logistics of how much this will effect smoothness of gameplay).
pyrozen, I assume since you're creating and testing this mod you'd hold the answers to my worries.  What say you?

If anything there will be an initial slowdown on load of the world map. Should be fine after that

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 2009-09-18 01:51:09 »
the inital load is a bit slower, but i can't notice anything on my ancient rig.
Single-core 2800+ XP-M processor (2.3GHz)
2Gigs RAM
HD3850 AGP Gfx

i run the game at 1600x1200 (or whatever is close to that, im not at my computer now)
If it doesn't slow my computer down, i think you guys will be okay.

lee

*edit* the main resoultion for new textures is 512x512 or smaller, with only 1 texture weighing in at 1024x1024(it was 128x128 by default for some odd reason)
« Last Edit: 2009-09-18 01:53:24 by pyrozen »

knives

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 2009-09-18 03:32:50 »
It's nice to see kickass projects whenever I get around to checking in with the old forum.
Keep it up. It looks amazing.

Qudeid

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 2009-09-18 16:05:03 »
I'm truly looking forward to seeing the improvements myself in-game :D

Btw. Will stay a "mere" retextureing of the WorldMap or will you in the end really change the World's Geometry?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 2009-09-18 23:17:31 »
small update, the beaches are much harder than i anticipated.  Apparently the texturing system works differently on the barch and it's much harder to anticipate how the game will "randomly" place the textures.  I'm getting alot of alignment errors, and i almost need to do the water before the beaches since the both textures overlap.

As far as chaning the geometry, Borde said he might be able to work something up to view and modify the worldmap, but it's not a priority.  I honestly think a totally retextured map would be plenty to transform the game, but in the future someone may rework the entire thing.  The drawback is that if you rework the world map, you will have to retexture the entire thing AGAIN.  That's a job i won't be applying for :D

lee

squallff8

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 2009-09-18 23:44:15 »
Hi there! :-)
Just wanted to say:Thanx for your HARD work,pyrozen!!!This project is one of the BEST on this forum!I know how hard make something new work in this game,so what you done here is AWESOME!Respect! :wink:

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #165 on: 2009-09-19 03:44:13 »
Honestly, I truly cannot wait for this to be finished. This is just so amazing Lee. Although I bet you have heard that hundreds of times hehe. Hope we can get a release soon and test it out.  :-)

Qudeid

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 2009-09-19 07:36:28 »
pyrozen, that is exactly what I thought. You'd have to retexture every little bit.

What I was wondering (I only barely scanned over the wiki entry about the worldmap) is, if there then is a change in resolution. Meaning, if the Map gets larger so to display a little more detail. But I think, it won't work, as you'd have to change how you travel the world etc. Okay... I was just talking to me  :roll:

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #167 on: 2009-09-19 12:05:45 »
small update, the beaches are much harder than i anticipated.  Apparently the texturing system works differently on the barch and it's much harder to anticipate how the game will "randomly" place the textures.  I'm getting alot of alignment errors, and i almost need to do the water before the beaches since the both textures overlap.

As far as chaning the geometry, Borde said he might be able to work something up to view and modify the worldmap, but it's not a priority.  I honestly think a totally retextured map would be plenty to transform the game, but in the future someone may rework the entire thing.  The drawback is that if you rework the world map, you will have to retexture the entire thing AGAIN.  That's a job i won't be applying for :D

lee
to be honest, i think if borde made a tool like that, it would be less about changing the world's geometry, and more about changing towns and places etc so they dont look like boxes with pyramids on top coloured blue. textures are by far enough for the ground, the sky and the land, i think.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #168 on: 2009-09-19 14:37:10 »
can you post the original worldmap texture? I would like to see how the put it together....

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 2009-09-19 14:54:49 »

the grey areas surrounding it are also part of the original.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 2009-09-19 16:11:41 »
is that the actual resolution? jeez its small

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 2009-09-19 16:22:39 »
is that the actual resolution? jeez its small

It's not really surprising; the world map looked incredibly pixellated when it was blown up on screen in the game. Hopefully a few filters should be enough to make the image a more reasonable quality.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 2009-09-19 17:31:30 »
vectors my friend, vectors

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #173 on: 2009-09-19 19:45:48 »
I was talking about the 3D ground textures, not the world map.. I guess I wasn't very clear.

Qudeid

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 2009-09-19 20:10:51 »
@ Kudistos Megistos:

Considering the first post screenshots the worldmap itself (as pyrozen posted) is already changed, isn't it?