Author Topic: Dual Band Routers  (Read 5730 times)

TinySarabia

• View Profile
Dual Band Routers
« on: 2010-12-04 13:45:37 »
Hey guys... Mom just bought a Dual Band Router(DLink) and she said it was one of the latest routers around... Of course, I got pretty excited bout it... I did the usual and configured everything... All went well and I'm using wifi right now... Just one question though: How do you actually use Dual Band? I'm sorry but I don't really grasp the concept about it... It says it has 2.4GHz and 5GHz bandwidth capabilities... And if so, do I have to set up again to use any of the two? Or is it automatically "used"? I downloaded recently through torrent and still the same speed (45-50 kbps is usual in our area)... I have no frickin idea how a Dual Band Router works, how to use 2.4 or 5...I searched through internet and all they say is it can support 2.4GHz and 5GHz... Zzzzzzzzzzz... I'd appreciate it if you can explain it to me in "nooby" fashion...

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Band Routers
« Reply #1 on: 2010-12-04 14:12:36 »
Get a dual band wifi card to be able to use it. Also it really has nothing to do with torrent speeds as 45-50kbps is not saturating even a 802.11b network.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-12-04 20:16:01 »
2.4ghz is the normal wireless band, supported by nearly any wifi card. The 5Ghz channels is supported by most new N cards. 5Ghz is supposed to be faster than 2.4Ghz, but everything i've read says it's not much better.

The main reason to get a 5Ghz wifi IMHO is if you live in a highly populated area with many conflicting 2.4Ghz wifi routers. If all of the 2.4Ghz channels are taken, you can experience a lot of interference, so you get a 5Ghz router to put you on a different band from all the 2.4Ghz routers. If you don't have that issue, there is really no reason to get a dual-band router, your performance will not increase by any substantial amount, especially in your usage situation where your not even pushing 1MBs over your wireless.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-12-04 23:30:57 »
If your budget can afford it there is a way to increase your speed.

It would require you to have two isp accounts going into the same location, also you would need a dual network adapter (I have mine built into my motherboard) plug each router into your computer. Combined with some nvidia network teaming, and you have some awesome upload/download speeds.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-12-05 00:12:42 »
If your budget can afford it there is a way to increase your speed.

It would require you to have two isp accounts going into the same location, also you would need a dual network adapter (I have mine built into my motherboard) plug each router into your computer. Combined with some nvidia network teaming, and you have some awesome upload/download speeds.

thats a good tip. Another way is to plug into your wired ethernet port, and use your wifi as well. I'm not sure if all motherboards can operate like this, but my laptop does it just fine. i easily get 1-2MBs downloads on popular torrents.

lee

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-12-05 01:15:13 »
Wired and wifi together makes absolutely no sense at all. It will not give you any speed boost over a wired connection only.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-12-05 01:19:43 »
I think he meant as an alternative instead of the unlucky ones who don't have two free ethernet ports :/.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-12-05 01:21:20 »
Maybe, but it is usually just cheaper to upgrade to the next speed tier on your isp then get a second isp as well.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-12-05 02:37:34 »
Both lines must be the max tier you provider offers for maximum speed! (laughs in an evil cartoon voice)

TinySarabia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-12-05 05:44:32 »
Hey guys... I thank you for giving me tips... Will try and do something... I'll report when something's up.. Thanks pyro, Mako, SL. ;)

TinySarabia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-12-05 05:46:28 »
2.4ghz is the normal wireless band, supported by nearly any wifi card. The 5Ghz channels is supported by most new N cards. 5Ghz is supposed to be faster than 2.4Ghz, but everything i've read says it's not much better.

The main reason to get a 5Ghz wifi IMHO is if you live in a highly populated area with many conflicting 2.4Ghz wifi routers. If all of the 2.4Ghz channels are taken, you can experience a lot of interference, so you get a 5Ghz router to put you on a different band from all the 2.4Ghz routers. If you don't have that issue, there is really no reason to get a dual-band router, your performance will not increase by any substantial amount, especially in your usage situation where your not even pushing 1MBs over your wireless.

Yes I do live in a highly populated area... I'll try this.. ;)