Author Topic: Modifying the formula "Master Fist" uses (PC)  (Read 10682 times)

samourai23

• View Profile
Modifying the formula "Master Fist" uses (PC)
« on: 2011-12-20 08:55:19 »
Hello everybody !

I was wondering if anyone could help me about this :

I think the formula that Master Fist uses is one of the funniest, but I'd like to modify it so it's not SO imba (...well kinda)

As everybody knows, it increases the damages using (1+X) where X is one of the following statuses : "Silence"(=1); "Poison"(=1); "Sadness"(=1); "Slow"(=1); "Darkness"(=1); "Near-Death"(=1); "Slow-Numb"(=2); "Death Sentence"(=2)

Well basically, I'd like to change that to this : "Silence"(=1); "Poison"(=1); "Sadness"(=1); "Slow"(=2); "Darkness"(=1); "Berserk"(=2); "Near-Death"(=3); "Slow-Numb"(=2); "Death Sentence"(=2); "Fury"(= -0,25); "Haste"(= -0,5); "Regen"(= -1); "Barr"(= -0,5); "BarrM"(= -0,5); "Reflect"(= -0,25); "Shield"(= -1); "Peerless"(= -2); "Lucky Girl"(= -1)

Expecting, of course, that negative damages won't heal the ennemis but, just do 1 or 0.

I think this is way more fair that way, because even though Master Fist is very fun to use, it gets totally overpowered very fast, just start a fight as a level 99, 255 strength Tifa, and use Curse Ring and Sadness, then use her allies to throw Silence and Poison on her... Now she deals.... Oh yeah, 6 times damages ? If she already deals 8600 damages, she'll easily go over 100.000 with a critical hit, which is easy with 100 luck already.

And that's why I think it'd be quite great to have good statuses to reduce her attacks. And I think the values I chose aren't that bad, since the formula hardly goes under 0, except if you start using too much good statuses, which is exactly the point.

Now that you know what I'd like to do, I hope somebody will help me with it. I know all this stuff is contained in the ff7.exe, but I have absolutely NO idea on how to open it/hack it/extract it and what's more, I don't know how it looks in there so...

I know how to use hexadecimal, that's not much, but that's that.

Thanks to anybody who'll help me with it !
« Last Edit: 2011-12-20 09:56:07 by samourai23 »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Modifying the formula "Master Fist" uses (PC)
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-20 12:28:32 »
I can help. I'm tagging this for later. Give me an hour or so.

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-20 12:34:04 »
Eerr... Were you.... actually serious about that ?
Because that's very nice of you :-)
« Last Edit: 2011-12-20 14:27:10 by samourai23 »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-20 14:55:18 »
Yes I  meant it. Unfortunately, I can't find where these multipliers are handled. I thought I had them marked, but I can't find them now.

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-20 14:59:35 »
Aww too bad :( So this means there's no way to have them modified easily ?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #5 on: 2011-12-20 15:44:20 »
Maybe. I didn't say I had given up. I'm combing through what I DO have with a toothbrush and I've discovered some interesting things that were previously thought unknown like battle variable values. Imagine, you CAN tell what element(s) the last attack had!
Anyway, look at the special effects page on the wiki. I'm now under the assumption that those "NOT USED" functions are actually used by those weapons. I'm still looking to confirm this. I'll let you know.

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-12-20 15:53:53 »
Thank you very much ! :) :)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #7 on: 2011-12-20 17:24:38 »
Good luck NFITC1, this could be a big deal!

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #8 on: 2011-12-20 18:10:51 »
I am now 100% convinced (because I see the code now) that those "not used" special effects are used by the AX damage functions. I won't bother spelling the code out, but the "Special Effect" value gets set depending on what the Damage calculation value is:

calc      effect
A0 -> 0A
A1 -> 0B
A2 -> 0C
A3 -> 0D
A4 -> 1E
A5 -> 1F
A6 -> 20
A7 -> 21
A8 -> 22
A9 -> 0
AA -> 0
AB -> 0

So this brings two exciting revelations.
1. Regular attacks can "safely" be given some of these multipliers so certain enemies can be more powerful with more MP or HP or so.
2. A9 - AB can be assigned (via exe editing) one of the other special effects to add more variety to the attacks.

To answer the original question: part of what you want is possible. Decreasing the multiplier is probably out of the question for "simple changes". There are two dwords that determine what statuses get considered. It's a bitmap of the statuses based on the statuses index.
At 0x5DFB93 (0x1DEF93 in the exe) there is the dword that contains statuses that will increase the multiplier by 1. The original value of this is 0400029Ah.
At 0x5DFBAE (0x1DEFAE in the exe) there is the dword that contains statuses that will increase the multiplier by 2. The original value of this is 00202000h.

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-12-20 18:34:57 »
Ok, but it's half bad since I wanted to make an overpowered version anyway. It's the same, but without the maluses.

So can I at least increase the multiplier by 3 ?

And... How do I do that anyway ?

And one last thing :  You say the "multiplier", but isn't that an addition ? (1+X)
Are you sure that thing isn't for the "Power weapon" ? (The other weapon of Tifa, that deals damage x2 when Near-Death and x4 when D. Sentence).

Thank you for helping me ! ^^

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #10 on: 2011-12-20 19:11:58 »
Ok, but it's half bad since I wanted to make an overpowered version anyway. It's the same, but without the maluses.

So can I at least increase the multiplier by 3 ?

And... How do I do that anyway ?

Oddly enough. I'm not sure how. The code is written rather oddly and there's not a simple (x * y) in that code in a way that can be modified.

And one last thing :  You say the "multiplier", but isn't that an addition ? (1+X)
Are you sure that thing isn't for the "Power weapon" ? (The other weapon of Tifa, that deals damage x2 when Near-Death and x4 when D. Sentence).

I'm certain. That's the code for damage calculation A0 which Master Fist uses.

Thank you for helping me ! ^^

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-12-20 19:17:15 »
Lol ok, but what I meant was more : How can I end up having the exe to play it ? Since I don't even know where to start ?

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #12 on: 2011-12-20 19:40:23 »
The task you wanted to accomplish is more complicated that having a member come to the rescue, or taking an exe and poking it a few times for the desired effect.  The question you asked initially sparked the Research and Development phase of being able to produce a new tool or new function to an old tool that would achieve your goal.  You won't be able to do what you wanted right now, or even within several days unless NFITC1 or another talented member make it their primary perogitive.  If you're patient and do what you can to help then you will accomplish your goal sometime in the future, unfortunately you can't do it at the moment.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 2011-12-20 20:25:35 »
Maybe. I didn't say I had given up. I'm combing through what I DO have with a toothbrush and I've discovered some interesting things that were previously thought unknown like battle variable values. Imagine, you CAN tell what element(s) the last attack had!

Anyway, look at the special effects page on the wiki. I'm now under the assumption that those "NOT USED" functions are actually used by those weapons. I'm still looking to confirm this. I'll let you know.

waitwaitwaitwaitWAT

Oh man, Oil status is within my grasp!

As for the 'special effects' revelations - NFITC1, does this mean I could make an attack call *two* 'special effects' by assigning one to a damage algorithm? And what happens when one of the special effects requires a modifier - does it just take attack power as an argument?
« Last Edit: 2011-12-21 17:03:56 by Bosola »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #14 on: 2011-12-20 20:53:30 »
The task you wanted to accomplish is more complicated that having a member come to the rescue, or taking an exe and poking it a few times for the desired effect.  The question you asked initially sparked the Research and Development phase of being able to produce a new tool or new function to an old tool that would achieve your goal.  You won't be able to do what you wanted right now, or even within several days unless NFITC1 or another talented member make it their primary perogitive.  If you're patient and do what you can to help then you will accomplish your goal sometime in the future, unfortunately you can't do it at the moment.

I don't think there could be a tool to do exactly what he wants. Best that can be hoped for is to change the statuses it already checks for with the existing multipliers.

As for the 'special effects' revelations - NFITC1, does this mean I could make an attack call *two* 'special effects' by assigning one to a damage algorithm?

No. The AX damage formulae override any special effects on the action.

And what happens when one of the special effects requires a modifier - does it just take attack power as an argument?

I couldn't tell you what would happen on a weapon, but in an attack, it should just use whatever value is in the special attack modifier slot.

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-12-20 21:01:51 »
Ok... Well I hope it will be done someday then :(
Since all I can do is wait and hope, that's what I'll do.

Thanks again for helping me ! :-)

Edit: And in spite from that, if I wanted to add commands to "Master Command" ? Or transform "HP Absorption" to a "Master Support" I would build up, for example, would that be possible without seriously hacking the game ?
« Last Edit: 2011-12-20 21:13:56 by samourai23 »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 2011-12-21 17:10:13 »

I don't actually know how master command 'works' - or, indeed, how FF7 actually goes about adding commands to an character's menu. I assume a function just iterates over the materia then flips bits that represent each command. Maybe it just applies 'masks' for each materia that signify the commands to be 'activated', and just ORs them with the current command list. If so, you could probably adapt the mask for master command.

But that's a lot of assumptions.

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-12-21 17:37:52 »
It's funny how this game has been hacked for years and years, and yet there's so much stuff unknown ^^

Thank you for answering ^^