Author Topic: FF8's HP & Damage limits.  (Read 15870 times)

xiraiya

FF8's HP & Damage limits.
« on: 2009-07-08 13:00:02 »
So I've been playing FF8 and looking around at different mods etc.
FF7's Limit Breaker mod caught my attention and I began remembering how FF10 also broke the 9999 limits.

As usual an Overrated game got the attention another deserves.

Basically I'm aiming to find out if there is a way to increase the damage limit anyone can do to "99,999"
(I'd like to boost HP up there too but it's not as important)

Xelane

• View Profile
Re: FF8's HP & Damage limits.
« Reply #1 on: 2009-07-08 13:18:45 »
1: you could try looking up YAMP by Dziugo (i think that's how you spell his name) as he did the same thing with ff7.

2: I don't believe that ff10 is overrated, i think it is among the best that square/square enix has come up with.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2009-07-08 13:31:29 »
So I've been playing FF8 and looking around at different mods etc.
FF7's Limit Breaker mod caught my attention and I began remembering how FF10 also broke the 9999 limits.

As usual an Overrated game got the attention another deserves.

Basically I'm aiming to find out if there is a way to increase the damage limit anyone can do to "99,999"
(I'd like to boost HP up there too but it's not as important)

Can't happen without almost a complete re-write of the current battle damage system (this applies to 7, 8, 9, and I think 12, but I'm not very far in it yet). Currently it uses two bytes to express damage and health (well, three bytes for enemy health). That gives it a scope of 0 - 65535 if it's made to be unsigned. Two (maybe three, actually) of FF8's attacks have a special flag that tell it that it is unsigned damage. Under this condition, it cannot be a curative attack or any kind of elemental. Healing, in the case of elemental absorption (which is all healing is) is negative damage. If you try to express any healing greater than 32768 then the data goes out of scope and will usually get truncated. This is what causes the overflow bug in FFVII that has yet to be seen in FFVIII (I believe).
This happens a lot in FFVI if you cheat enough. The damage gets so high that it overflows and any damage above 32767 gets subtracted by that amount. Like if someone with 255 magic tries to cast Ultima, most of the time it will calculate to over 33000 damage, but because this is out of scope it gets reduced back into scope, but not very well. It doesn't become the maximum damage, it becomes 33000 - 32767 damage (233).
Moral of the story: FFX uses four bytes as is fitting of the PS2 so it can do up to several BILLION damage per strike if it were modified slightly. Making FF7 and FF8 do 99999 damage would require the damage calculations to use Int32s instead of the Int16s that they use now. It might be possible on the PC because it's all in Int32s anyway, but it would require more than a slight modification.

xiraiya

« Reply #3 on: 2009-07-08 13:39:27 »
So basically, the limits are best set at say.... 30,000?

That sucks about the 99,999 thing though, kind of liked all the 9's haha oh well.
Does something like this exist for FF8 already?

(I was actually referring to FF7 when I mentioned about the game being overrated)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-07-08 15:20:08 »
Anyway, what NFITC1 said is right, there's no way to do more than 32767/65535 damage without making big changes to the way the game works (bigger than anyone is likely to bother making. The same thing goes for Max HP; in FF7 it's signed and limited to 32676, and it's probably the same in FF8.

AFAIK, there are no break damage limit mods for FF8 yet  :cry: Feel free to prove me wrong about that.

Also, protip: "Overrated" is an overrated criticism. In fact it's just a judgement, no different from calling a game "good" or "bad".

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-07-08 15:48:33 »
i have only ever seen this 9999 limit patch but i aint sure if this is what your after
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6889.0

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-07-08 15:53:16 »
Glad to be proven wrong  :-)

Well, as long as it works; I only have the PSX version, so I can't find out for myself  :cry:

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-07-08 16:04:44 »
i havent tested it either i just remember seeing the post a long time ago, I do have both the PSX and PC version but i am not going to install it just to check out if this patch works, But i am interested if it does work so if anyone does test it please let me know so next time i play the game (proberly a few years from now) i can use it if it does.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #8 on: 2009-07-08 16:09:00 »
i have only ever seen this 9999 limit patch but i aint sure if this is what your after

Looks really basic. And it's violating the EULA to offer the full executable like that. Should be an IPS patch or something similar.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-07-08 17:30:55 »

Looks really basic. And it's violating the EULA to offer the full executable like that. Should be an IPS patch or something similar.

i thought it was a patch (not a IPS but just a normal EXE patch) like i said i havent tried it but it doesnt appear to be the game EXE as far as i can see so is it really violating the EULA ?

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #10 on: 2009-07-08 20:39:54 »
It's only a patch in EXE file, it's not the whole game FF8.exe, so I think it's not violating EULA.

I see that this patch can be easily applied to the PSX version, too :) I'll try do this if I have some more free time.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #11 on: 2009-07-08 21:55:34 »

i thought it was a patch (not a IPS but just a normal EXE patch) like i said i havent tried it but it doesnt appear to be the game EXE as far as i can see so is it really violating the EULA ?

Oh, is it? I didn't read it correctly then. Sorry. My mistake.
I'm not knocking it, btw. I just thought it was the executable because I didn't dl it and see the size.

xiraiya

« Reply #12 on: 2009-07-09 06:29:20 »
I've seen that but the guy seemed a bit... "dodgy" editing this and that and hoping it works.