Author Topic: Extracting summon monster models  (Read 26550 times)

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
Extracting summon monster models
« on: 2012-10-24 23:50:50 »
So, I'm learning the ins and outs of rigging 3D models as a hobby and it's something I'm really enjoying, but what I want to know is, where can I find the tools (that have updated links) to extracting LGP files (more specifically, "MAGIC.LGP")?  For instance, extracting the 3D models from the summon monsters so I can rig them, modify textures, etc.  I know there are programs called Kimera (I think) but it never loads properly for me on Windows 7 (crashes right away).  Are there any updated tools with working links that will allow me to extract these files or am I SOL?

Rayved

• It ain't easy being cheesy
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting summon monster models
« Reply #1 on: 2012-10-25 01:43:02 »
Go here http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12503.msg173807#msg173807
All necessary tools are there. As for the errors you get with kimera, pay attention to the error message and download the missing file (something.ocz I think) and google the steps to install that file correctly.

whitERaven

• when the Raven turns white..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-10-25 02:43:53 »
Better follow rayved's advice since you won't be able to do much with models without kimera.

as for extracting files the LGP Frontend v1.2.rar Front End GUI with  Aali's LGP Tools seems handy.. I prefer using it personally,

For model editing, I suggest..
-Img2tex
-Biturn (I suggest using Img2tex for tex files conversion, but you can still use this for other conversions)
-Kimera
-Pcreator

All this are found in the link rayved posted..

If you want to edit summons, check this thread.. This is something similar so this might give you hints http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13578.0

and last remember to use search first before starting a thread.. most of your queries have been answered already.. so using search will help a lot.. ;D ;D ;D

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-10-25 05:25:33 »
The .dlls need to be registered it seems, and the link for the LGP tools is broken ( http://www.peejeshare.com/files/363242968/lgp_tools_multipack_by_sithlord48-1.0.zip.html ) it always says the download slots are full, so, nope, can't use the frontend without the .exe itself. 

It would be easier if that was uploaded to Mediafire or similar.

Edit: Kimera works fine now, just need to somehow download LGP tools (the non-front end, I have that one) from a working link.

To summarize, Aali's LGP Tools cannot be downloaded with the provided link and no, I refuse to compile the source code.  The compiled binary is preferred.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-25 05:32:21 by the_randomizer85 »

whitERaven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-10-25 05:30:50 »
That's odd.. the link was just working recently, if you want I can upload my copy to mediafire and give you a link but it'll have to wait.. I'm still at work so I don't have access to my ff7 files.

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-10-25 05:33:11 »
That's odd.. the link was just working recently, if you want I can upload my copy to mediafire and give you a link but it'll have to wait.. I'm still at work so I don't have access to my ff7 files.

By all means if you would be so kind  ;D, I have bad luck with that peejeeshare, and I mean bad luck.

Is it possible to ultimately convert these to .obj, .dae or similar for 3DS Studio Max?
« Last Edit: 2012-10-25 05:35:48 by the_randomizer85 »

Buster Swd

• Sorry for bad english
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-10-25 05:44:20 »
LGP Tool work fine but it screw up magic.lgp somehow.You should use lgp/ulgp.

Is it possible to ultimately convert these to .obj, .dae or similar for 3DS Studio Max?

Biturn should do the trick.

whitERaven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-10-25 06:03:30 »
Ohh.. I didn't know that LGP tool has issues with magic lgp, I only worked with battle files so far..

By all means if you would be so kind  ;D, I have bad luck with that peejeeshare, and I mean bad luck.

I'll upload it and post the link here if you still want it but you should check buster's comments on it messing with magic.lgp just to be sure so you don't run into more bad luck, LoL ;D ;D ;D

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-10-25 06:03:59 »
EDIT: files extracted, I'm specifically looking for Shiva's files, which ones are the actual model files themselves?  A lot of files and folders were just extracted.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-25 06:09:59 by the_randomizer85 »

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-10-25 06:29:31 »
Yep. Can't convert the files, much less view them OR find the files that contain Shiva's model.  The only one I found was Siva.tex and Kimera doesn't recognize it.  Img2Tex won't load it without giving an error about the .BMP file.

whitERaven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-10-25 06:34:18 »
Hmm.. looks like trouble, before you start modding and asking for help, you should try reading the rules first I think you may have broken two already.

Just in case check here http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11578.0

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-10-25 06:45:05 »
 I'll be good, but the file is named cyvada P00 to P45 (forty-five parts to the model)....crap, what the hell did I get myself into?

Well, time for me to log and not come back.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-25 06:48:13 by the_randomizer85 »

Buster Swd

• Sorry for bad english
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-10-25 09:10:20 »
I'll be good, but the file is named cyvada P00 to P45 (forty-five parts to the model)....crap, what the hell did I get myself into?

Well, time for me to log and not come back.
Actually its quite simple.Follow my instruction:
-Extract magic.lgp
-Open cyvadat.d in kimera.It should look like this:

-Edit it as much as you like

This is only for Shiva summon.For others check here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AniNoDVsrYhVdG0zZERUT0tsOF91eHE2WHo4ZWRseWc&gid=5

Almost forgot.If you get a runtime error 6: overflow in kimera,you will need a graphic card.If you can't afford it then you have to edit the part separately(Crap,this took 3x time longer than it supposed to be)

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-10-25 12:09:09 »
Randomizer you gonna model new Summons?

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012-10-25 14:32:17 »
Actually its quite simple.Follow my instruction:
-Extract magic.lgp
-Open cyvadat.d in kimera.It should look like this:

-Edit it as much as you like

This is only for Shiva summon.For others check here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AniNoDVsrYhVdG0zZERUT0tsOF91eHE2WHo4ZWRseWc&gid=5

Almost forgot.If you get a runtime error 6: overflow in kimera,you will need a graphic card.If you can't afford it then you have to edit the part separately(Crap,this took 3x time longer than it supposed to be)

Alright, got the model up and running, the tricky part now is converting/extracting it to 3DS format.  The GPU I have is an nVidia GT555M so Kimera runs just fine, the only error I had was due to some unregistered .dll files, but that's been taken care of.  So I managed to convert it with Biturn (which also dumped the texture file as well).

When I open the file in 3DS Max, it tells me it's the improper file format....WTF?

Ugh, I feel horrible for being such a noob and potentially pissing people of for not looking for the right thread(s) in the first place

Edit: Got it to convert to .OBJ format as well and it now loads into 3DS Max, but the model....is a jumble mess with arms coming from the middle of the torso....Oh, boy....

« Last Edit: 2012-10-25 14:47:22 by the_randomizer85 »

Buster Swd

• Sorry for bad english
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012-10-25 15:07:28 »
Alright, got the model up and running, the tricky part now is converting/extracting it to 3DS format.  The GPU I have is an nVidia GT555M so Kimera runs just fine, the only error I had was due to some unregistered .dll files, but that's been taken care of.  So I managed to convert it with Biturn (which also dumped the texture file as well).

When I open the file in 3DS Max, it tells me it's the improper file format....WTF?

Ugh, I feel horrible for being such a noob and potentially pissing people of for not looking for the right thread(s) in the first place

Edit: Got it to convert to .OBJ format as well and it now loads into 3DS Max, but the model....is a jumble mess with arms coming from the middle of the torso....Oh, boy....

Maybe you did something wrong.Mine work just fine.I convert it to .3DS file too:

EDIT:Wait wait wait wait,you sure you used import command in 3DS Max and not open?
« Last Edit: 2012-10-25 15:09:08 by Buster Swd »

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012-10-25 15:19:38 »
Maybe you did something wrong.Mine work just fine.I convert it to .3DS file too:

EDIT:Wait wait wait wait,you sure you used import command in 3DS Max and not open?

I have version 2011 and you have version 2009; maybe it hates 2011.   What settings in Biturn did you use for exportation?  It looks perfect in Biturn, but no, I got confused and meant to say I didn't use import.  When I go to 'open', the 3DS file is not there despite converting to 3DS format, but when you click just "open" there's no dropdown box for .3ds files, only drf, max and chr are available.

In 2011, you can't open them in just Open, it only shows up under Import.

What the hell am I doing wrong!!?
« Last Edit: 2012-10-25 15:23:16 by the_randomizer85 »

Buster Swd

• Sorry for bad english
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012-10-25 15:26:16 »
Looks like i can't help with 3ds max 2011.Never got the chance to use it. :-P

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012-10-25 15:28:35 »
Looks like i can't help with 3ds max 2011.Never got the chance to use it. :-P

You still didn't answer my question, what settings did you use when you exported the file?  There are settings in Biturn. I can't use 2009 for what I have in mind for the models, and 2011 is backwards compatible with 3ds files from older versions, so there shouldn't be any issues.

Could you send me the file?

If I'm not going to get help here.....I don't see why people can't download 3DS Max 2011 and try it out to prove me wrong.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-25 15:42:58 by the_randomizer85 »

Buster Swd

• Sorry for bad english
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012-10-25 15:47:08 »
I have just send you what I did.
If you want to know why the aren't many people download 3DS Max 2011,in my opinion,then it's because it ain't FREE
And...what's "the file"?

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2012-10-25 15:51:10 »
I have just send you what I did.
If you want to know why the aren't many people download 3DS Max 2011,in my opinion,then it's because it ain't FREE
And...what's "the file"?

The student edition is free, the only difference is you can't sell what you make, otherwise it's the same as the professional version, about the file, I meant the .3ds file you exported.

Bloody hell, if I can't get help here, I might as well screw the whole thing.

Summary:

I export the file as 3DS
File doesn't load in 3DS 2011 when using the import feature, "improper format"
Blender can't be used due to inability to export as DAE files
I need DAE format for a game

« Last Edit: 2012-10-25 15:52:46 by the_randomizer85 »

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #21 on: 2012-10-25 15:54:42 »
use blender to load the 3ds and export is as a obj

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012-10-25 16:02:15 »
use blender to load the 3ds and export is as a obj

Even though 2011 gave me the improper format error?  I'll try it.

whitERaven

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2012-10-25 17:26:26 »
I'm a blender user too so I won't be of much help.. But this sort of jumbled parts error also occurs sometimes in blender, If you don't mind the extra effort why not just organize those jumbled parts.. Afterall you will be modifying the model.. and while porting to ff7 you will have to cut them up to pieces again.

btw if you still want it heres what I promised http://www.mediafire.com/?0icay9ndxicnxdi
« Last Edit: 2012-10-25 17:32:51 by whitERaven »

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2012-10-25 19:35:49 »
I'm a blender user too so I won't be of much help.. But this sort of jumbled parts error also occurs sometimes in blender, If you don't mind the extra effort why not just organize those jumbled parts.. Afterall you will be modifying the model.. and while porting to ff7 you will have to cut them up to pieces again.

btw if you still want it heres what I promised http://www.mediafire.com/?0icay9ndxicnxdi

Managed to open the 3DS file in Blender and export it as an .OBJ file (with the 3D model in tact).  Why the same file refused to open up in 3DS Studio Max 2011 is beyond me.

Edit 4:54 PM  Got in into the program just fine (with textures) I just need to smooth it since the polygons look a little too rigid
« Last Edit: 2012-10-25 22:54:24 by the_randomizer85 »