Author Topic: quick question about making new materia  (Read 10561 times)

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
quick question about making new materia
« on: 2010-02-24 00:45:28 »
I know it's possible and such to make new materia on the PC version of FF7. I was just wondering cause I'm having a hard time searching it, if there was a way to make a summon materia that could use multiple summons in the way a normal magic materia would:

AP level 1 = Fire
AP level 2 = Fira/Fire2
AP level 3 = Firaga/Fire3
AP level 4 = MASTER.

i want to do something along the lines of:

AP level 1 = blank
AP level 2 = Bahamut
AP level 3 = Neo Bahamut
AP level 4 = Bahamut ZERO
AP level 5 = MASTER

Just an idea I thought up. I want to remove master materia's from the game, and KoTR (for obvious reason) and maybe is there a semi-easy way to replace KoTR with my new materia (as in: you get the gold chocobo to go the new materia instead of getting KoTR)? I was thinking that maybe I could make it out to be a magic materia in WM, but with summon spells. However I don't know if it would show up as green magic materia or red summon materia, which I'm kinda picky about, but that's just me. Also I was thinking if it's even possible to make this materia that if I just over-write the KoTR  materia (also in wallmarket) would that make it so I could in game pick up my newly made materia instead at the area where KoTR would be in the field.

Izban

• View Profile
Re: quick question about making new materia
« Reply #1 on: 2010-02-24 06:51:10 »
with current tools not so possible unless you were to slash some magic to trade for summons

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2010-02-24 07:50:03 »
Actually, I believe that it's possible to make green materia call summons. I know that they can call enemy skills.

However, the materia will not be red any longer. Red materia are strictly associated with one 'type', which is "Do spell [X] the number of times determined by the level".

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2010-02-24 12:05:31 »
Actually, I believe that it's possible to make green materia call summons. I know that they can call enemy skills.

However, the materia will not be red any longer. Red materia are strictly associated with one 'type', which is "Do spell [X] the number of times determined by the level".

I believe this to be true, but note that any green (magic) materia will not provide the "summon" menu option.

Say I have made an "Inferno" Materia to have Fire, Fire2, Fire3, and Ifrit on it. I master it and get all the attacks. Now technically I have access to all four of these attacks. BUT, it won't let me perform all these attacks. If it's a green materia, the "magic" command will show up and I'll be able to cast Fire, Fire2, and Fire3, but the "summon" command will not be there unless I have another summon materia on that character.
Making this a summon materia WILL NOT WORK based on the way the game handles summon materia.

Now If I get REALLY wacky and want my Inferno to have "Fire", "Flamethrower", "Fire2", and "Ifrit" the same restrictions apply. No E.Skills unless the menu option exists. Even then, it might not work since the E.Skill menu is handled VERY differently.

This is all theory ATM. I haven't tested any of this. I might do that later today.

i want to do something along the lines of:

AP level 1 = blank
AP level 2 = Bahamut
AP level 3 = Neo Bahamut
AP level 4 = Bahamut ZERO
AP level 5 = MASTER

Just an idea I thought up. I want to remove master materia's from the game, and KoTR (for obvious reason) and maybe is there a semi-easy way to replace KoTR with my new materia (as in: you get the gold chocobo to go the new materia instead of getting KoTR)? I was thinking that maybe I could make it out to be a magic materia in WM, but with summon spells. However I don't know if it would show up as green magic materia or red summon materia, which I'm kinda picky about, but that's just me. Also I was thinking if it's even possible to make this materia that if I just over-write the KoTR  materia (also in wallmarket) would that make it so I could in game pick up my newly made materia instead at the area where KoTR would be in the field.

Unfortunately, this is not possible based on how the summon materia are handled. Summon materia only cares about the first modifier slot. All others are ignored completely. Even changing them doesn't give you more summon attacks per battle.
« Last Edit: 2010-02-24 12:08:38 by NFITC1 »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 2010-02-24 17:33:41 »
Also I was thinking if it's even possible to make this materia that if I just over-write the KoTR  materia (also in wallmarket) would that make it so I could in game pick up my newly made materia instead at the area where KoTR would be in the field.

Can't add much on the kernel side (then again, I'm competing with NFITC1, so my chances were pretty much knackered from the start!), but, I will add something on the field side: yes, when you pick up KOTR, you'll get a custom materia if you've replaced it... but - it will be red on the field, and still be referred to as 'Knights of Round' when you pick it up. You need to find the level file for the materia cave and change the text "Found 'Knights of Round' materia!" or whatever it is to something more appropriate.

Also, there are plenty of ways to nerf KOTR. You can make it hit fewer times (I don't know how the game determines which hits are associated with damage in this case), or with less power, no longer ignore defence or, better, make it elemental. For instance, in my upcoming mod that I keep banging on about, KOTR will be holy element, which the Weapons and Safer Sephiroth will resist.

Oh, another quick thing - you can make magic spells (or, indeed, enemy skills) use summon animations. The only issue is that the summon monsters themselves won't appear - except, weirdly, for KOTR - you'll just have the visual effects (like Shiva's Ice without Shiva herself, or just the KAPOW!!! cloud for ChocoMog).

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #5 on: 2010-02-24 22:25:17 »
I just did some testing on the statement I made earlier today. You can NOT get magic materia to grant you summons or E.Skills. If you have a summon on the list it just crashes the game when you attempt to equip it. I gave the materia Flame Thrower instead of Ifrit, and it didn't show up in the E.Skill menu. It didn't crash, but it didn't do anything. Oddly enough, I did have Cure instead of Fire. That may be a side effect of having an E.Skill on a Magic materia..... no telling, but it doesn't work on the PC version.

Also, in addition to what Bosola said right above me, you can't make a magic attack look like a summon IN THE PC VERSION. He's modding the PSX version so it's a little different.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-02-26 04:33:54 »

I believe this to be true, but note that any green (magic) materia will not provide the "summon" menu option.

I actually tried this, and interestingly, it provided the summon menu, but it was grey-out. Possibly because I had no summon available being that the first level is blank until you level it up to the second level, or it could just be because it doesnt register the materia as a normal summon materia.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-02-26 22:25:36 »
Sorry for the double post, but I was just wondering. Is there maybe a way to implement this into something like wallmarket? Make a way for one to make a summon materia with more than one summon on it?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 2010-02-26 23:19:18 »
No.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-02-26 23:40:31 »
Aww... that makes me sad. I was hoping to find a fun way to mess with materia :P. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
New Materia Question #2
« Reply #10 on: 2010-02-28 01:56:25 »
Ok, so I've got one more question. And instead of double posting in my old thread, I figure I'll just post a new one. So here we go, I was just wondering, it seems possible, if I could steal the animation for the shadow flare spell, and toss it onto a materia as a basic spell. I want to adjust a lot of materia in my game, but there are a lot of things I just want to get rid of because its rather OP, and I don't do well with damage formulas. So it would be easier for me to just get rid of the more OP materia and just combine other materia. The thing is, is there are so few spells that it's harder to put things together in one materia, so I was wondering if I could put spells from monsters and such. I figured at least the enemy skills would be possible.

Mako

• View Profile
Re: New Materia Question #2
« Reply #11 on: 2010-02-28 02:01:37 »
You could just edit your post. The answer and yes it is you can.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-02-28 02:05:40 »
That's a good point, i always forget stuff like that.... :?

Anyway, could anyone point out to me where I can find the way to do this. I'm willing to learn, but I have a hard time searching for things like this.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-02-28 06:12:42 »

Anyway, could anyone point out to me where I can find the way to do this. I'm willing to learn, but I have a hard time searching for things like this.
You'll need ProudClod and WallMarket. Find some enemy in ProudClod that has Shadow Flare (a good bet would be safer sephiroth) and look up the animation index for it.
Now, if you want to make this into a magic spell, you're going to have to add an offset of x4E to it (windows calculator can do this in hex mode).
There's your animation index, now just edit a spell to have that animation.
Bummer news: you can't add *new* spells, you can only replace existing ones since the "magic" menu only has so many slots, and we currently have no way of adding new slots to that menu, as that data is hidden away in ff7.exe.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-02-28 06:25:03 »
Thanks a lot tite. I know the whole thing on no new spell (would be awesome though). How exactly do i go about ADDING the offset? and would that make it no longer an enemy skill? I was actually gonna try to steal it from Ultimate WEAPON :P. Also, anyone have any ideas on what might make a second level Ultima spell....?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 2010-02-28 11:54:22 »
Now, if you want to make this into a magic spell, you're going to have to add an offset of x4E to it (windows calculator can do this in hex mode).

Not if he's modding the PSOne version of the game, though. See my thread for details on this matter, and an extended guide to porting animations to spells: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9277.msg125241#msg125241

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #16 on: 2010-02-28 13:00:24 »

You'll need ProudClod and WallMarket. Find some enemy in ProudClod that has Shadow Flare (a good bet would be safer sephiroth) and look up the animation index for it.

Uh...since Shadow Flare's an Enemy Skill, it's data is in the KERNEL.BIN too.

Bummer news: you can't add *new* spells, you can only replace existing ones since the "magic" menu only has so many slots, and we currently have no way of adding new slots to that menu, as that data is hidden away in ff7.exe.

I experimented with expanding this once. I was able to give it extra slots (don't remember how), but there's likely a HUGE amount of code to actually get the attack names there and actually get the character to perform the attack once it's selected. I gave up with that.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-02-28 18:50:57 »
Uh...since Shadow Flare's an Enemy Skill, it's data is in the KERNEL.BIN too.

Oh, right I forgot that it was an enemy skill, that changes things... That text file in the thread Bosola linked to will tell you though...

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-02-28 19:23:59 »
Yea, reading Bosola's comment ' figure it probably would have been wise to tell you I'm modding the PC version.

EDIT: Ok, so I've gotten to the point that I figured out I can't just use the enemy skill attack data for Shadow Flare. So I figure I will have to replace another magic, I figured full-cure. Now my problem is, what do I have to do to actually change this to be an attack instead of Full-cure just renamed? 'Cause I tried to just copy over Shadow Flare's data to Full-cure in wallmarket, but it just made it Full-cure, with the name of Shadow Flare, and a different damage calculation.
« Last Edit: 2010-02-28 20:35:44 by Immortal Damyn »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-02-28 20:50:15 »
Change the animation index to 4C for shadow flare, and the damage calculation stuff should be pretty easy to figure out, but just make sure to remove the "restorative" element and check "start on enemies". Also, if you want the spell to be able to hit all enemies (I'm not sure if the shadow flare spell is compatible with 'all', but it's worth a try), check "start as multiple" and "toggle multiple".

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-02-28 21:24:22 »
Is there any way to make it not curative magic in the menu screen? I mean, it's not a big deal, but it's kinda funny when something like Shadow Flare fully heals one party member.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 2010-02-28 21:29:59 »
Yeah. Go to initial data > spell order. The rest should be intuitive.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-02-28 21:49:53 »
Yea, that made no sense to me... I get more and more confused every time you guys answer me xD (not really, just sometimes).

Side note: Why does Shadow Flare look like a bunch of weird bubbles instead of the good old Shadow Flare I know? (It's the right animation, it just looks like the textures are weird...)

EDIT: Can anyone tell me, if its not too much to ask, how I could add materia to the field? Like, I made a materia over a dummy materia, and I don't know how to place it in the game, and I'd rather it wasn't an initial equipment. If not, I'll just replace another materia.
« Last Edit: 2010-02-28 22:15:01 by Immortal Damyn »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-02-28 23:04:14 »
You'll need to use meteor if you want to add things like that to the field. Unfortunately, I can't give you any help on how to use it.

You can also use new materia in the game by editing the shops. There's a little info on changing what shops can sell here, although it isn't very clear. You'll have to hex edit the executable, so be sure to make a backup of ff7.exe first.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-02-28 23:15:08 »
Damn, I'm now going to have 4 apps open at one time just to do this. This is fun :D. Thanks Kudistos, I've looked a little into shop editing, and I'm not the best with hex editing, actually im probably like the worst person in the world to go to hex edits. Anyway, I guess I'll learn Meteor through trail and error then :P. Thanks again.

Edit: What ever happened to the shop editor idea NFITC1 was thinking of working on?
« Last Edit: 2010-02-28 23:29:36 by Immortal Damyn »