Author Topic: SOLVED: How can I get a battle scene properly textured in game? (FF7)  (Read 11505 times)

frivol

• View Profile
Hi there. I´ve been trying to understand how the battle scenes have been textured in Final Fantasy 7, cos it seems it is not the same method that the battle character uses. So well, I have been doing some experiments with the first battle scene we see in game (opaa -  train station), and I ´ve seen that this scene uses 7 different textures (from opac to opai), and most of these textures are asigned to one single part of the scene, it has given me to understand that there must be pre-textured sub objects in that part. How can I do this in PCreator if I have different UVs to each of the sub-objects from that model?.

On the other hand, after some other testing I have replaced one of the parts of the battle scene for a custom train model  and also one of the 7 textures; since the train was not using its own texture in Kimera I changed its Texture ID to 1 (cos the texture of this train is opad), when I do that it looks perfectly textured in Kimera, but in game it seems like it keeps using the Texture ID 0 so it looks wrongly textured. Why is this happening?

This is how my battle scene test looks in Kimera:

And this is how it looks in game (wrongly textured):

« Last Edit: 2011-12-24 19:28:12 by Bosola »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
well I'm not exactly sure on this one, but I think instead of repacking the lpg you'll want to place your texture files into the mods folder that comes with aali's driver.I'm not exactly sure where though, I haven't replaced any battle texture's (i'm working on field textures right now). I'll be keeping an eye on this one though. Looks great. Keep up the good work. I'm sure someone with the proper knowledge will come along and answer your question.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-09 09:28:52 by yarLson »

frivol

• View Profile
Hey yarLson! Yea I´m not repacking lgp while I´m testing things, I´m using modpath to try these files. I´ll keep working on this till I get any answer and I´m gonna post any progress on it.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-09 16:51:52 by frivol »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
oh alright well actually then would you mind telling me the mod path your using so I can give it a try as well. I haven't done any battle textures yet and I just want to play around with it for a bit so I can understand how its done.

obesebear

• View Profile
Double click the object you're having trouble with and it will open up P Editor.  In there you can manually set which texture it uses.  I'm not positive but I think this is a feature that only .95 has.... haven't tried it in a while.

frivol

• View Profile
would you mind telling me the mod path your using so I can give it a try as well. I haven't done any battle textures yet and I just want to play around with it for a bit so I can understand how its done.

I´m using the folder named "direct" which you see in your game folder.

Double click the object you're having trouble with and it will open up P Editor.  In there you can manually set which texture it uses.  I'm not positive but I think this is a feature that only .95 has.... haven't tried it in a while.

Yea obesebear I did that, and as you said, it can only be done in .95 version, but the problem comes in the game, for any reason game sets the Texture ID of the train as if it was zero, it looks perfect in Kimera, idk why this happens in game.

I have not done more attempts lately anyway (because of so much work), but I will keep trying hard soon.

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival

Yea obesebear I did that, and as you said, it can only be done in .95 version, but the problem comes in the game, for any reason game sets the Texture ID of the train as if it was zero, it looks perfect in Kimera, idk why this happens in game.

I have not done more attempts lately anyway (because of so much work), but I will keep trying hard soon.

As I'm also doing work with Kimera .95, I've found it doesn't often(I recall being able to do it a few times... or perhaps it's never worked...) save the fact that you've changed the Texture ID on a certain part. I had to go back into Beta PCreator and change the ID through that program.... which was a pain, given I had to then redo the work in Kimera for that particular part. Then again, it may just be an issue of "reinstalling" Kimera, since I've noticed Biturn v.88 likes to suddenly not work when opened, and the only solution I've found is to delete it and un-zip again. I've not tried this though.

Truthfully all the tools could use updates, but the chances of that seem quite slim.

frivol

• View Profile
YAY! After reading what Roxas said about a possible bug with Kimera .95b (thank you Roxas!) I wanted to try changing the Texture ID into PCreator, and guess what, I got it!! :D

(I Know the train looks too small, dw :D it was just a test)

As Roxas said, Kimera was not properly saving the changes in the texture ID, so you have to use PCreator for this purpose. Now I will try to get my whole custom train station scene into the game, but it will probably have to wait for 1 or 2 days before I get some free time again.

Here a small and very quick tutorial on how to change the texture ID in PCreator:

1. Open your model into PCreator.

2. In the Options menu, select "Battle Model" and "Texture file(s)".

3. Now select the model from the dropdown menu, your model will turn red (that means it is selected now).

4. With your model selected, go to File menu and select "Import UV...", then import the UV of that model.

5. Go to View menu and select "UV coords", you will have to check "Flip Y" (do not forget this).

6. You have now to put a valid texture on your model (BMP 8 bits), so go to File menu and click on "Open Bitmap...", don´t worry if your texture looks terrible on your model.

7. Now go to the Edit menu and select "Texture ID", then write the number of the ID you want to assign to that model.

8. Finally go to File and click on "Save As..." to save the model as a FF7 part. Now you will have a P file with its Texture ID perfectly set.

« Last Edit: 2011-03-11 08:48:59 by frivol »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
looking really great man. I really like the train tex your using. Did you make it from scratch?
« Last Edit: 2011-03-11 09:18:45 by yarLson »

obesebear

• View Profile
Hey, in the future when you're posting pics, please try to leave out any models that were ripped from other games.  Reason being there are people who will notice and begin relentlessly asking you and other members for them.  And you wouldn't believe how out of hand it can get.

frivol

• View Profile
looking really great man. I really like the train tex your using. Did you make it from scratch?

Oh no yarLson I extracted this from my Crisis Core by using Rinoa Viewer/Extractor, but I´m a 3D modeller for games so it is not so hard for me to modify/edit some parts of the models in 3DsMax. I extracted the whole train station from Crisis Core and I made my own battle scene from it (I´m only using the train here). As you can see, since there are no lights in battle scenes, I also used a light map to simulate the light effects on the train. Also when you extract models from Crisis Core with Rinoa, most textures mess up, so I had to fix the ones I was using on my scene, and of course this is not the whole train, I removed all the polygons of the hidden side of the train (the inner parts too). In short what I´m doing is remaking, repositioning and removing parts from the original stage (from Crisis Core) in 3DsMax to make my own FF7 battle scene.

Hey, in the future when you're posting pics, please try to leave out any models that were ripped from other games.  Reason being there are people who will notice and begin relentlessly asking you and other members for them.  And you wouldn't believe how out of hand it can get.

Ok obesebear, sure thing, you are right, I´ll leave out these models in the next images I upload.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-11 20:22:47 by frivol »

Nywie93

• View Profile
where is for have 3ds Uvw ? i need import uv but it takes a format .uvw Oo

-Problem Solved thx-
« Last Edit: 2011-11-23 08:28:59 by Nywie93 »