Author Topic: The Final Fantasy 7 Original Soundtrack Petition  (Read 12420 times)

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
The Final Fantasy 7 Original Soundtrack Petition
« on: 2013-08-09 19:25:58 »
Well it's only for the steam version, but it wouldn't hurt to get some official new music from SE.
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/ff7music

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: The Final Fantasy 7 Original Soundtrack Petition
« Reply #1 on: 2013-08-09 19:33:08 »
Quote from: Square Enix Community Manager Phil Elliott, July 12
For those asking about FFVII music, we've seen the petition - thanks as always for your passion and dedication. I've passed it on.
Quote from: Square Enix Community Manager Phil Elliott, July 19
The music issue is still being looked at, so when I have any news I'll update you
Quote from: Square Enix Community Manager Phil Elliott, August 4
The music issue isn't something we've forgotten about. We're still looking into it - I hope to have a more definite update in the next couple of weeks... but to reiterate, this is still something we consider a live issue, and we're exploring the options.

No guarantee they'll do anything about it, but they're definitely aware of the problem. Unfortunately, Square-Enix is so bloated with too much management and a healthy dose of bureaucracy that this may take a while to happen, if it does at all.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-08-09 19:47:39 »
Assuming it plays ogg, they can just use mine haha.  They can pay me.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-08-09 19:49:06 »
Didn't they use parts of Aali's driver for the rerelease? Did they pay him?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-08-09 19:53:50 »
I don't know if they paid him, but yes, it's essentially his driver (with the added ogg support that he has also coded).  Seriously, Anxious Heart is as perfect as anyone is likely to get (throwing bouquet at myself)....  even with a full professional release I can't see anyone telling the difference.

Maybe someone needs to inform that lot that they can just use my mod.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-09 19:55:29 by DLPB »

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-08-09 20:02:10 »
That would be nice, and it would put us on Square's good side and maybe ensure our future existence.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-08-09 20:17:53 »
I don't mind... they can use the mod for free... might actually make them understand why a modding community can be valuable.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-08-11 00:29:20 »
...might actually make them understand why a modding community can be valuable.
My point precisely.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-08-11 01:13:19 »

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-08-11 02:02:22 »
Summary please? I can't read that.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-08-11 02:57:48 »
Dear Mr. _______

Thank you for your letter and thoughts regarding the music used int he recent re-release of Final Fantasy VII (7).

It is great to hear how passionate you are about Final Fantasy VII and we would like to assure you that we attempt to produce the best quality version of games possible with each release.

From the Steam discussion page you referred to we can see that you have already received a number of updates regarding this matter from our Community Manager Phil Elliott and can only reiterate what he has already passed on to you at this stage.

THe music is something we fully understand and are actively looking into. We have passed on your valued feedback to the relevant team, but unfortunately do not have an update for you at present. However, please do keep an eye on our official website: www.eu.square-enix.com as any official updates regarding this matter will appear on the Square Enix blog.

We would like to once again thank you for your letter and support.

Kind regards,

The Square Enix (I can't read this bit) Team

It comes from here, and the first post there is being regularly updated with any official word.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-11 04:59:26 by Covarr the Proud Fanboy »

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-08-11 04:15:26 »
Ah, I thought it was good news.

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-08-11 04:24:42 »
I just can't understand making a petition about the music, which people can fix easily themselves, and there's no petition about the backgrounds we CANT fix. Where's the frikkin mods folder from the driver you stole/borrowed/bought from Aali SE?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-08-11 05:00:30 »
I just can't understand making a petition about the music, which people can fix easily themselves, and there's no petition about the backgrounds we CANT fix.
Because the backgrounds aren't broken, just low-res. The music is considerably worse than the PS1 version.

Edit: It looks like the Steam entry for the game is being messed with again, as of four days ago. This doesn't confirm they will be fixing it, but it's safe to say some sort of update is coming.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-11 21:38:35 by Covarr the Proud Fanboy »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-10-06 22:28:42 »
Just so this thread is up to date for anyone who stumbles across it: SE have added the original PS1 music to both the Steam version and their own 2012 version. No more crappy PC MIDI approximations!

FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-11-14 06:45:25 »
Just so this thread is up to date for anyone who stumbles across it: SE have added the original PS1 music to both the Steam version and their own 2012 version. No more crappy PC MIDI approximations!

Except their ogg files are low quality and ripped from emulated renditions rather than the original PS1 hardware. In addition to that, some of the tracks were ended abruptly before the music was actually finished. See my other thread in this forum about my reference-quality music package.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2013-11-14 07:49:15 »
Except their ogg files are low quality and ripped from emulated renditions rather than the original PS1 hardware. In addition to that, some of the tracks were ended abruptly before the music was actually finished. See my other thread in this forum about my reference-quality music package.

Again, use my Anxious Heart mod in audio releases section.

FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2013-11-14 14:42:03 »
Again, use my Anxious Heart mod in audio releases section.

Don't need to. My package is literally the best quality you can possibly get with the original tracks, and they are even better than PSF as the format does not have the proper stereo reverb of the original hardware. In addition to that, I went OCD on the loop edits and went down to 5 decimal places (100,000th of a second) to make absolutely certain the loop transitions were bit-perfect. I'll put my tracks up in a Pepsi challenge against any other attempt to have the OST as it was originally intended.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2013-11-14 14:47:22 »
Mine use the Official Soundtrack from the actual released studio CD, and that IS the best quality you can get.  I have also looped them perfectly. There is no such thing as "bit perfect" looping when going from the OST.  It's done by ear and by looking at the wave form.  You can't get anywhere near bit level accuracy unless you have perfect start and end points, and have the actual exact loop points. 
« Last Edit: 2013-11-14 14:51:30 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2013-11-14 17:36:46 »
Waveform-based loops are indeed effectively bit-perfect, and it's probably better to look at samples rather than decimal portions of a second. If FBX's package is looped as perfectly as he says, the only possible difference between these would be in the compression of the OGGs. DLPB, what compression settings did you use?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2013-11-14 17:38:43 »
Because it was a tradeoff between size and quality I used 192 kbit/s which is decent for game :)  Obviously, all my mp3s for listening at 320