Author Topic: [FF7PC] Red Werewolf  (Read 208914 times)

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
Re: Red XIII werewolf mod
« Reply #25 on: 2014-06-15 00:12:14 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 17:00:41 by dkma841 »

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #26 on: 2014-06-15 00:41:24 »
Very impressive you're picking up zbrush very quickly. Particularly the ears, ears and hands take awhile to get used to. The trick will be maintaining your detail while keeping a low polycount. Unfortunately you cant save a low poly version first and use baked textures (only diffuse with FF7). I'd say go for broke and go nuts with the sculpting tools, see just how detailed you can get while learning the tools suite. Some of it will be lost when you lower the divisions, but that way you also have a high poly version for renderings and stuff. 

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2014-06-15 23:11:07 »
New day. Getting the muscles and starting on veins and cheek fur. This is a blast. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #28 on: 2014-06-15 23:57:02 »
Awesome!

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2014-06-16 00:32:47 »
Soo who's gonna help me with the animation side when I get the model done? Lol

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2014-06-16 21:11:05 »
Looking good. Looking forward to seeing how you sculpt the fur. Here's a quick idea of what adjusting the animations would be like. I literally just rotated the bones on the X axis. You can also propagate the frame (as you can only edit the bones this way on the animation, not the actual model) so you only need to edit it once, at least for the most part. I'm not very good at editing FF7 animations though. A few other members seem pretty good at it though. For the most part it's actually pretty do-able. If you want him to still run on all fours than even easier, as most of his animations wouldn't need any changes. I'd say in the end it's just a matter of time than difficulty.   

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2014-06-16 22:08:55 »
I made an alpha in Photoshop for the body fur that I'm going to use. The torso will be skin. Will I use zBrush to cut him into in the head body arms and legs?

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2014-06-16 22:13:51 »
I'm going with a SS3 Goku style hair for the mane

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2014-06-17 00:27:04 »
I'm going with a SS3 Goku style hair for the mane

I noticed, looks pretty cool. An alpha map? That's fine for now, and for any renders you'd like to use, but for actually importing into FF7 you need a completed mesh (no Ngons if you can manage it) and diffuse textures. Your best bet is to sculpt detail into the model as much as you can, and add anything extra in Photoshop later.

Cutting the model maybe difficult in zbrush, but if you're familiar enough with it it could work fine. I personally use either blender or maya for cutting and filling holes, but zbrush may make it easier to round out the holes you fill and repaint the new faces. That'll seem a lot easier once you've finished the model.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2014-06-17 12:30:23 »
So last night I found an obj of goku. I was going to cut his hair off and merge it to Red. Simple? No. Nightmare. So I'm going to watch some tutorials and hopefully post some progress tonight. Ugh!!

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2014-06-17 13:30:46 »
I personally have no problem with that, but that'll break Qhimm's policy on ripped material. To publicly release the completed model here it'll need to be 100% yours. Plus cutting the hair off Goku will be a mess and wont port to Red XIII very well. With some practice you'll be able to sculpt much more detailed hair in zbrush anyway. A common mistake in zbrush with hair is people start sculpting it attached to the head, as one piece. It'll be much easier if you break things like this up and make them separately. Essentially making the hair more like a wig, and the character bald lol. 

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2014-06-17 14:34:37 »
Oh. I am sorry. Even though I purchased the model? Wouldn't that give me full rights to it? If that's still against the rules I'm all about respect. Just curious. And I've already began remolding the hair from scratch.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2014-06-17 15:05:21 »
You never purchase a model, only very limited rights to use a copy of it.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2014-06-17 16:06:35 »
Oh. Ok. Sorry I thought it was like purchasing images to use for design. My fault. I will build the hair from scratch. :)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2014-06-17 17:28:53 »
It depends on where you purchased it. Some folk only allow their models to be used in pre-rendered images (including movies), or will charge more for distributing the model itself in any forum (such as including it in a game's data). They also tend to have different terms as far as using just pieces of the model.

When buying this stuff, it's always a good idea to look at the terms on the purchase agreement.

edit: That said, if you have redistribution rights for a model, it's fully allowed here.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-17 17:54:06 by Covarr »

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2014-06-17 17:37:57 »
It's a grey area. I'm not sure what the policy is on buying models. I'd say you're better doing the hair anyway since it'll really help with mastering zbrush. The long hair probably wont be the hardest part anyway, sculpting the fur and detail into the body and face will take the most effort. Here's an example of what I mean.

Timelapse video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUe2IHN_isU&feature=kp

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2014-06-17 19:02:47 »
Thanks covarr

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2014-06-17 19:03:54 »
Thanks CMH great info. You guys are awesome!!!!

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2014-06-17 19:56:06 »
Quick question cmh, will it make a difference that I did this purely from a ball and did not use zspheres?

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2014-06-17 20:58:43 »
I think you are using zspheres, unless you switched to Dynamesh. The prompt should tell you though, and it sculpts differently so you'll know. The sphere is just a primitive shape you can use to start with, otherwise you can also use cylinders, cubes, and a few others.

~by the way, here's a reference of a werewolf sculpted in zbrush to give you ideas for the fur.

« Last Edit: 2014-06-17 21:03:40 by cmh175 »

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2014-06-17 21:14:54 »
That's an awesome render. Won't the fur get knocked out though when I drop to low res?

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2014-06-18 01:49:27 »
I'd say go with a wait and see attitude lol. You'll have a highly detailed model for your own use that way (whether it's ff7 friendly or not) and the experience of making it. If your finished model is really too dense you can always use retopology. I'd say go for as many polygons as you can possibly fit into FF7 and maintain your detail, since you can only use a diffuse texture. You can use photoshop to add more effects to the texture so it doesn't look as flat, but it wont look the same as a more detailed model. Usually this isn't what you want to do for a game, but FF7 works a bit differently than other games and since you cant use normal, alpha, specular, or any next gen texture mapping it'll work out ok. I checked my largest model and it's actually about 60k. I had issues with kimera crashing (there are work arounds for that though) but it works fine in the game.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2014-06-18 04:19:07 »
Thanks for everything. I still think your red xiii is one of the best textures I've seen.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2014-06-18 06:24:52 »
I really feel like hands feet and texture is all I have left on the model itself. Man this is really coming along great

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2014-06-18 11:02:52 »
Here is a short sketch of WerRed XIII I made:

I didn't spend much time on it all I wanted is to give you a better idea for his hair.
The face of your model remembers me more on the great ape form Dragon ball.
The short hair looks good but the long hair looks more like spikes or horns.