Author Topic: Disabled search features?  (Read 2030 times)

quequotion

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
Disabled search features?
« on: 2014-09-16 18:02:57 »
I can understand if this was done to save precious bandwidth, but it's making it difficult to find answers without opening new, redundant threads.

At the very least, could we have "find posts by username" /  "search by poster" restored? More than any other feature, I find this useful in forums for finding a certain user's last word on something or check when they were last active and what they were doing at the time.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • No life
  • The Great Redarr.
    • View Profile
Re: Disabled search features?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-16 18:31:35 »
It's actually not a bandwidth issue, but a CPU issue. We're on a shared host that is simply running more sites than it can really handle. these features get auto-disabled based on server load, and tend to work sporadically. We don't have any search tools disabled in the admin panel or anything.

sen

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-16 21:49:09 »
It's actually not a bandwidth issue, but a CPU issue. We're on a shared host that is simply running more sites than it can really handle. these features get auto-disabled based on server load, and tend to work sporadically. We don't have any search tools disabled in the admin panel or anything.
Can't we host somewhere else? Like come on the main features of a forum is unaccessable...lol

sl1982

• Administrator
  • No life
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-09-17 05:11:52 »
Just use the google search at the botton of the page.

KnifeTheSky77

• Freak
  • Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-09-17 21:27:56 »
go to google.com
type site:forums.qhimm.com whateveryouaresearachingforgoeshere
 ;)

obesebear

• Administrator
  • No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-17 22:15:38 »
If you want to search someone's posts, all you need to do is navigate there on the site.  Once you get to the "high server stress" screen, copy the address bar and paste it into the google search. Then view the cached page.

quequotion

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-09-25 15:09:19 »
go to google.com
type site:forums.qhimm.com whateveryouaresearachingforgoeshere
 ;)
Keyword search is not effective for certain things, such as "what was the last thing Asmodean ever posted anwhere in the forum"

If you want to search someone's posts, all you need to do is navigate there on the site.  Once you get to the "high server stress" screen, copy the address bar and paste it into the google search. Then view the cached page.
I will give that a try; but I wonder how out of date the cache will be.
Oh my... we need to consider jumping ship. Is the price worth the inconvenience?