Author Topic: Editing Battle Dialogue/Removing Game Over Flag  (Read 4184 times)

LetCreativityPlay

• Final Fantasy FTW *_*
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/LetCreativityPlay
Editing Battle Dialogue/Removing Game Over Flag
« on: 2014-11-23 15:11:25 »
I was seeing what tools/methods are used to do a couple things:
How do you remove a game over flag, so that a game continues despite loosing a battle? Secondly, how can you edit/add dialogue during battle? For example, edit the game over message into something else.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Editing Battle Dialogue/Removing Game Over Flag
« Reply #1 on: 2014-11-23 16:12:20 »
The game over message is hardcoded in ff7.exe, but the text can be set by editing kernel2.bin.

Whether a game over will occur in battle is set in script (flevel.lgp), which you can edit with Makou Reactor.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-11-23 17:23:15 »
You can edit the Game Over message using Wall Market, that's what I used to change it. It's in the Battle Text tab.

Disabling Game Over itself is done by setting Battle Mode in Makou. When adding a line, got to Modules and then select Battle Mode (2); change Flag 24 to '1' and that'll do the trick. Mind to set a 'blank' Battle Mode at the end when you're done with whatever it is you're doing, so it doesn't carry over into other fights.

I'm guessing Cid vs. Pyramids is what you're up to...

LetCreativityPlay

• Final Fantasy FTW *_*
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/LetCreativityPlay
« Reply #3 on: 2014-11-23 18:41:41 »
Noooooo........come on, come on...what do you take me for   8)

Thanks for the replies. When I use wall market to change the battle text, it doesn't appear to change. For example I try to change "Game Over" to"Uggh",
but it changes back to "game over". Do I have to take an extra step?

*Edit* Sorry I figured it out, I need to save both kernels. Thanks again, I was able to solve both these problems.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-23 21:42:00 by LetCreativityPlay »

Roden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-11-24 18:59:59 »
Disabling Game Over itself is done by setting Battle Mode in Makou. When adding a line, got to Modules and then select Battle Mode (2); change Flag 24 to '1' and that'll do the trick. Mind to set a 'blank' Battle Mode at the end when you're done with whatever it is you're doing, so it doesn't carry over into other fights.
Yeah I've done that, the only problem is it still says "Game Over" (as a battle message) when you die in battle and plays the gameover music before returning you to the field, so its very possible someone may just reset the game without waiting for that (I know I might) :P Unless there is a way to fix that?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-11-24 21:55:12 »
I'm not sure, I think Battle Square doesn't display it but I'll bet that it's hard-coded in some way and can't be used elsewhere (could try using it's Battle Mode but it's a long shot, I think it might actually force the Battle Square background as well). The Yuffie Pagoda fights also display Game Over if I remember correctly, so the answer won't be there either. I guess the only way is to re-word Game Over to something more ambiguous but you'll still be counting on the player not gunning for that reset button the second their team is on it's last legs.

A more drastic way is informing the player that it's not a game over if they lose, but that's a tension killer.

Roden

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-11-24 22:17:17 »
I'm not sure, I think Battle Square doesn't display it but I'll bet that it's hard-coded in some way and can't be used elsewhere (could try using it's Battle Mode but it's a long shot, I think it might actually force the Battle Square background as well). The Yuffie Pagoda fights also display Game Over if I remember correctly, so the answer won't be there either. I guess the only way is to re-word Game Over to something more ambiguous but you'll still be counting on the player not gunning for that reset button the second their team is on it's last legs.

A more drastic way is informing the player that it's not a game over if they lose, but that's a tension killer.
Yeah, exactly. I guess some AI scripting/clever dialogue is the only way.