Author Topic: [FF8-Steam Release] Cannot get mods to work.  (Read 3683 times)

Saep0901

• View Profile
[FF8-Steam Release] Cannot get mods to work.
« on: 2016-12-15 18:58:53 »
Hello.
For the past few days I have been scrawling the FF8 boards here and I fell upon DLPB's Tools along with HP.dll - Damage.dll - Magic.dll and Hard.dll. (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15354.0 was where I found this)

However, rather than necro an old thread, I made an account to ask for help. I fully accept if you tell me to go lunge off a building.

The Hextlauncher says that all files was successful but there are no changes within the game, so if there's anything anyone can remember of this or something to point me in the right direction I will be eternally greatful.

Thank you for any response given to me,

~Saeo.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF8-Steam Release] Cannot get mods to work.
« Reply #1 on: 2016-12-15 20:28:46 »
What does the log say, exactly?

Saep0901

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-12-16 08:05:21 »
I assume the log you mean is the txt file in the H_L folder? it says this;

FF8_Launcher.exe opened successfully.
Succeeded in loading by Process Name.

------------------------------
No instruction files detected.
Please check HL_files\Hext_in\
------------------------------

Damage.dll was loaded successfully.
Hard.dll was loaded successfully.
HP.dll was loaded successfully.
Magic.dll was loaded successfully.
Publish.dll was loaded successfully.
RaW.dll was loaded successfully.

15/12/2016, 09:55:06

As for further help, whatever it might be, I will upload a screenshot of the cmd prompt and the junction menu in the game.

http://imgur.com/a/db4lq

Not sure if this helps you. I hope so. I have only a few Ultima,, I was playing around with different magics. It doesn't break the 9999 wall with anything. Also thank you very much. Final Fantasy 8 is, for me, my favorite (long story). It would be nice to make the game have a fresh twist. <3

~Saeo

Edit: So after loading it up a second time, HP on Squall (with Full-Life junctioned to Health) was 14520 or something like that. - I quit and load up again and it is back to 9999. After reloading the game another 15 times, it has not happened again. I don't know if this is any indication for what might be a problem?
« Last Edit: 2016-12-16 08:29:04 by Saep0901 »

Saep0901

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-12-17 09:59:30 »
Okay so with a little more testing and fiddling with stuff, and taking into condiseration that other people had this problem - and a reply was to set the delay higher - I decided to set the delay to 10, rather than 1,000 or 5,000.

It seems to be working. 90% of the games I load now work with the addon's. - So if anybody else that stumbles into here with the same problem... This worked for me. Not sure if it was injecting(?) into the game too late for it to take effect. I'm not good with any of this stuff, terminology or the like. I just messed with the things and... for some reason this worked for me. I hope this could potentially help other people.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
I wish all of you the best 2017 :) <3
-Good Luck
~Saeo.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-12-18 17:58:23 »
Yeah, I was going to suggest that.  To be honest, I have a better way than HextLaunch now for certain games like these.  Doesn't require any additional launcher.  So I'll get that released in time.

It's strange that it reports success when it hasn't managed it.  But injecting it the way HextLaunch does is not really the thing you are meant to do.  All those dlls could likely be much better served with Hext file instructions.  The original author would have to do that.

Saep0901

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-12-19 20:30:28 »
Ohh you have a better way? I'd be more than happy to hear about that if that's okay with you? - Also other people that are finding out about FF8 mods for the first time and find this thread would also probably be interested.

Thank you, DLPB, for the help. I really do appreciate it.

~Saeo.