Author Topic: [FF VII and VIII] Request for two uncensor mods.  (Read 5867 times)

Damned

• View Profile
[FF VII and VIII] Request for two uncensor mods.
« on: 2017-04-19 03:16:12 »
Final Fantasy VII

Apparently, in the original Black Label version of FF VII, the script contained more swear words in it than the later releases, including the PC release, did. I would like to request a mod that reverts the swear words that were censored in later releases.

Final Fantasy VIII

I realize already there is a topic below me that requests this, but it has not been posted in for a couple of months. Given this, I believe the OP gave up on the mod.

I would like a mod that reverts the censorship to GeroGero's 3d model, GeroGero's Triple Triad card, and the blood in Ultemecia's castle.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: [FF VII and VIII] Request for two uncensor mods.
« Reply #1 on: 2017-04-19 04:58:43 »
Apparently, in the original Black Label version of FF VII, the script contained more swear words in it than the later releases
This is only sort of true. The original black label release is bit-for-bit identical to the Greatest Hits green label release, but there were several changes to the script from PS1 to PC, including some additional censorship. The Lifestream has them documented, including a massive 22MB spreadsheet.

Y'know, this might not be too difficult a mod to make using TouphScript. I don't have time myself (and if I did, I'd be far more interested in putting it toward a "fixed" version that corrects all the typos and other such inconsistencies without actually retranslating the game, sort of a proofreading mod), but someone else may be interested. However, I think you'll find that most folks aren't super keen on making mods at the request of others; they'd rather work on their own choice projects.

Damned

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-04-19 05:21:37 »
Would this be difficult for someone who has never modded these games before to do? If no one else wants to do it, I could always take a crack at it myself. But I figured if it was easy to do, then maybe someone would be a really cool guy and help a fellow fan out.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-04-19 05:48:38 »
With TouphScript and TLS' excel file, it should be... well, easy but time consuming. I'm fully confident you could figure it out, even with no modding experience at all. I'm also fully confident that it could still end up taking up far more of your time than you'd expect. This sort of mod is the sort that's more tedious to make than anything else.

Damned

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-04-19 16:48:42 »
Well at least I'll try to do the FFVIII one since that seems, according to the other topic, easy enough to do. But could you do me a favor Covarr? Can you see if a PM I sent to 5way is in his Inbox? I was told that it was successfully sent, yet it is not in my Sent box at all. I don't want to spam the guy.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-04-19 17:19:23 »
I cannot. Admins can't look at PM boxes unless a PM is reported.

By default, SMF doesn't actually save a copy in your sent box, because SMF is stupid forum software. You can change that in your profile. If it said it successfully sent, then it did.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2017-04-21 02:56:54 »
I was told that it was successfully sent, yet it is not in my Sent box at all. I don't want to spam the guy.
Well received; I've just sent you all textures for Gerogero's 3D model.