Author Topic: FFX modding scene dead ?  (Read 17027 times)

MetaLink

• View Profile
FFX modding scene dead ?
« on: 2017-05-18 21:34:32 »
Been a year since the game was released on PC, is the modding scene dead ?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: FFX modding scene dead ?
« Reply #1 on: 2017-05-18 21:48:00 »

FFX, like FFIX, was a game that doesn't need much modding. FFX probably doesn't need any really. They are both well made and well balanced games that are also graphically decent.  FF8 and especially FF7 are not.  Supply and demand.

MetaLink

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-05-18 21:54:32 »
Well the new high poly models look worse than the PS2 ones at least in my opinion, also would be nice to change the OST especially for X-2.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-05-18 21:57:10 »
I forgot about that.  They changed the models for some bonehead reason.  Pretty sure someone was working on sorting that... somewhere.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-05-18 21:58:19 »
FFX's modding scene was never really as centralized here as VII and VIII. Far more likely to find info on the Steam forums.

MetaLink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-05-18 22:05:53 »
It's also dead over there, someone was working on an extractor think it was topher, his program could extract those mega files to see their contents, problem is rebuilding a 15 GB archive every time u mod a file is ludicrous.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2017-05-18 22:25:56 »
Heh, they need a memory injector a la 7thHeaven.

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #7 on: 2017-05-19 20:52:56 »
It's also dead over there, someone was working on an extractor think it was topher, his program could extract those mega files to see their contents, problem is rebuilding a 15 GB archive every time u mod a file is ludicrous.
Rebuilding 15 GB shouldn't be a problem for someone who wants to modify the game, really. I was using extractor/insertor made by tek547, works correctly.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2017-05-19 21:06:32 »
It's still a very annoying and time consuming job having to make edits of 15 GB every single time you need to test something.  It makes debugging and testing a total irritation.  Maybe not as bad with SSD.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2017-05-19 21:28:27 »
But a good way to decrease the SSD's lifetime.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2017-05-19 21:57:40 »
But a good way to decrease the SSD's lifetime.

Modern SSD would never die from that sort of modding.  They can deal with so many writes as to make it virtually impossible.  The only consideration is when using SSD in a much more professional setting like server.  Even there, they are pretty reliable from what I have read.

I've modded using an SSD for over 5 years.  Sometimes massive amounts of writes.  It's as good now as then :P

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2017-05-21 08:41:56 »

What mods you expect except bringing back PS2 models?

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2017-05-21 11:32:01 »
I would personally enjoy a mod with reworked sphere grid. A sphere grid where each character's path are disconnected for real (with little to no teleportation-type spheres to travel accross). FFX is a great game, but the ending super-bosses are really badly designed IMO, in term of gameplay.
That is because of (1) grinding, (2) all the characters become the same at some point and (3) the number of abilities that are useful at that point are very few.

Also rebalance Lulu's overdrive...

So yeah, even though FFX as less glaring flaws than FFVII, there's room for modding I think.

MetaLink

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2017-05-21 14:58:36 »
What mods you expect except bringing back PS2 models?

Skip cutscenes, 60 fps support, music sfx & voice replacement, sphere grid modding (u can change the nodes in memory editor, but not the structure), free camera control like the prototype version had, speed-up booster working all the time, boss modding, remove the annoying delay in the battle menu, add english subtitles when in battle. Just to name a few
« Last Edit: 2017-05-21 15:27:35 by MetaLink »

Kefka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2017-05-21 18:39:38 »
I would also like to be able to mod the gameplay aspects of FFX, mainly stat growth, abilities, enemies, treasures etc. A reasonable increase in difficulty would also be welcome, as despite being balanced overall, FFX is just like the PSX-FFs in that it's simply too easy.

0rB!t

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2017-05-22 16:58:07 »
The files are too big to work and any error in the code can corrupt these files, and it's still too early to say that the scenario of modifications to Final Fantasy X is over.

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2017-06-09 15:11:18 »
There really is nothing wrong with the up scaled models since pretty sure they are in line with how they are really suppose to look.  For instance Tidus eyes are finally blue when you look back and is a weird goldish thing.  The only issue I had was the lip syncing looks a bit off at times.  Other than that I would love to see palette swaps.

MetaLink

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2017-06-25 23:55:51 »
It's now possible to extract most of the models from FFX/FFX-2 such as weapons, characters and maps. Textures are also extractable but they are a bit more tricky to do so.

http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?p=130412#p130412

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2017-06-26 08:55:21 »
Skip cutscenes, 60 fps support, music sfx & voice replacement, sphere grid modding (u can change the nodes in memory editor, but not the structure), free camera control like the prototype version had, speed-up booster working all the time, boss modding, remove the annoying delay in the battle menu, add english subtitles when in battle. Just to name a few

Cutscene Skipping and Free Camera are supported by UnX already. :)
FFX-2 you can skip the cutscene without a mod but you will not get the 100% at the end.

MetaLink

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2017-06-26 13:24:44 »
I'd rather not use UNX, the mod author, added a blacklist of steam ids to ban people he doesn't like from using his mod, crashes all times because of bad compatibility with 3rd party programs. He is the nastiest modder I've ever seen, he constantly lies, always picking fights at the steam forums, now he's going on a crusade against pirates putting DRM on his mods (that didn't work out well for him), also he says the stupidest shit like GOG.com is DRM, because of his antics he got himself banned from the steam forums.
Oh and his mod doesn't let you skip cutscenes it just speeds them up, also because of his arrogance x360ce doesn't work, so he forces people to use his garbage controller remapper which doesn't work half the time.

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2017-06-26 13:42:50 »
Well think of him what you want, but I use all his mod on the Games that where kind of broken. But this isn't about Kal,so best is not to move into that route.
I don't think that a lot of people want to mod FFX as the files are really large but let's see what that Phyre unpacker can. :)

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2017-06-29 21:59:20 »
Look on nexusmods there are a couple mods up for FFX.

nex86

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2017-08-15 17:55:48 »
Look on nexusmods there are a couple mods up for FFX.

Those are all texture replacements that require UNX. There is nothing so far that does more than this.
Nobody managed to rebuild .dds.phyre or dae.phyre files yet so there are no mods that work natively.
modding would of been a lot easier if you wouldn't have to rebuild a 20+GB vbf file all the time,
if someone can reverse engineer the ressource management and change it so the game takes the files outside of the vbf that would be perfect.

Also. About Kaldaien,
He says that 60fps breaks the ressource management and you get infinite loading screens.
He recently lifted the fps cap in loading screens so without vsync it goes up to 300+fps and there doesn't seem to be an issue with that.
But it instantly falls back to 30fps when everything is loaded, like before you get to the next map.
So it sounds a little bit odd if you think about his previous statement with the infinite loading screens when the framerate is higher than 30....
He also hasn't even bothered implementing an experimental 60fps hack for the modders or people that just want to mess around, even though he said he did manage to get 60fps or even more.

The other person who tried getting 60fps, Naxshe or something like that, never released anything.
He removed the video he made on youtube and nobody ever heard from his 60fps hack ever again.

And I don't know if there is someone else who worked on this, I haven't seen anything.
It's like people don't even try. Wheres all the 1337 modders and hackers? people just forget about this game because its 16 years old.

Modders also never really had an eye on the PS2 version because of the weird hidden filesystem Square was using.
there was no working tool that was able to rebuild the ISO properly. I've tried several tools but none of them worked.
A person that would of been able to do it was Yaz0r, but he had no interest in rebuilding the ISO.
« Last Edit: 2017-08-15 21:32:39 by nex86 »

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #23 on: 2017-08-15 18:54:39 »
Nobody managed to rebuild .dds.phyre(...)

Modifying dds.phyre files is easy.

I have translated all needed textures into Polish. Here is solution (looks difficult, but it is not):
1. Download Nvidia plugin to Photoshop to get "D3D/DDS" format in PS.
2. Download Texture Finder 2.1.
3. Open the same file in hexeditor, to check the type (near 0xA30-0xA40) - PTexture2D DXT1, DXT3 or DXT5.
4. Open .dds.phyre file in Texture Finder.
5. Set the correct setting (DXT1, 3 or 5), check vertical flipping and change width to correct. This is to get the correct width and height of the texture.
6. Create new file in Photoshop, with width and height of the DDS you want to extract. Save as DDS with correct settings (DXT5, DXT3 etc), with checked "Save Flipped Vertically", "No MIP Maps", and "2DTexture".
7. Copy body of graphic from phyre file (starting from 53 byte after offset of PTexture2D) and paste into the DDS file, starting from 0x80. Save the file.
8. Open the file in Photoshop, remember to check "Load Flipped Vertically".
9. After editing, you have to put the content of DDS file back to the dds.phyre file.  :P
« Last Edit: 2017-08-15 18:56:32 by Colly »

nex86

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2017-08-15 20:37:52 »
now we just need a tool that does this so anyone can make their texture mods.
using an hexeditor just takes too much time.
« Last Edit: 2017-08-15 21:42:22 by nex86 »