Author Topic: Program cleanup...  (Read 5221 times)

xeriouxi

• View Profile
Program cleanup...
« on: 2003-08-25 00:56:36 »
Hi!

Firstly, I love a lot of the FF-related software out there, primarily from Ficedula (got your name right, yes?) and Qhimm. I own Delphi (6 - Enterprise) and if people like Ficedula want, they can send me source codes to their software, and I can clean the software up. This means any spelling\grammar errors, creating installation packages, straightening out menu's etc. If you're interested, contact me at [email protected], and i'll get in touch ASAP. Oh, and I don't edit any source code or rip any off. I would never do that to you experienced programmers (I may own Delphi and study it, but I can NO WAY do what you guys do!). See you all soon!

xeriouxi.

(P.S. Anyone had any problems with FF7 running with DX9?).

Synergy Blades

Program cleanup...
« Reply #1 on: 2003-08-25 01:39:02 »
I may not code the software but I have a feeling they like their projects to be their own if they don't release the source code, and as the tools aren't meant for the mass public, installation scripts and slick/super-tidy GUIs aren't necessary. But, that's just my opinion. ;)

Funny you should mention FF7 on DirectX 9, I've just had a problem running it myself after having installed 9. Looking more closely however it seems no Direct3D apps are working at the moment, a problem that cropped up in 8 from time to time, something I usually solved just by restarting, as irritating as that is.   :o

xeriouxi

• View Profile
Fair oppinion...
« Reply #2 on: 2003-08-25 01:52:42 »
Hi!

That's fair enough. I didn't think of it like that. Well, i'll still do it with any requests. (It may give people a reason to update their sites...).  :lol:

I know Ficedula uses Delphi for coding. I also know some programmers allow redistribution of their source via their software.

As for DX9, I have one thing to say...

DAMN YOU, MICROSOFT!!!  :evil:

xeriouxi.

Program cleanup...
« Reply #3 on: 2003-08-25 22:36:12 »
Ficedula and Qhimm already have released source code available for download. Qhimm's source is all the same as the versions he has available, but some of Ficedula's is behind his current releases. And, yeah, Ficedula's the only one who uses Delphi (and, IIRC, not all of it is Delphi 6, some of it is older.)
If you want to mess around with their source, just download, and, if you alter+distribute, credit them appropriately. Heck, just follow their terms (included *with* their source distributions in most cases.)

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
Program cleanup...
« Reply #4 on: 2003-08-26 12:18:37 »
Qhimm's programs are written in M$ Visual C++

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
Re: Program cleanup...
« Reply #5 on: 2003-08-26 15:38:08 »
Quote from: xeriouxi
(...) and if people like Ficedula want, they can send me source codes to their software, and I can clean the software up. This means any spelling\grammar errors, creating installation packages, straightening out menu's etc. (...)

Well, if people like Ficedula (AKA "programmers" or "coders :D ) want to clean up their sources, they'll do it on their own. I think checking for errors is a task for beta testers, not for "source-code-want-to-have"-rs
Programming is much much more than simply the graphical interface of the program.
And if we really need someone to help us, WE will ask YOU to help us.

- Alhexx

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Program cleanup...
« Reply #6 on: 2003-08-27 13:21:33 »
No need to get so harsh Alhexx. But since most source code to my programs is already out there, feel free to toy with it. And as for the code I haven't released, well there's a reason I didn't release it. ^_^

Cyberman

• View Profile
Program cleanup...
« Reply #7 on: 2003-08-27 16:22:01 »
Well Jenova and Griever have sort of sequeals granted they are completely tilted toward the PSX versions of the FF7 and FF8 respectively (and I'm working on FF9 as well).

I think all he wanted to do was work on beautifying it and make it slick. :)

Qhimm:
I hear you there ;) I've not released source code because mine is mostly spaghetti with useless comments. :)

Alhexx:
Having a bad day or you hate people wanting to 'fix' your software hehehe, I know how you feel.

Seems SnailRush has made progress on extracting PSX data for FF8 all I can say is.. yikes. That will be cool.

I'm still trying to get the model information for the PSX version of FF7 myself lots of fun I suppose.

Cyb

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
Program cleanup...
« Reply #8 on: 2003-08-28 20:38:53 »
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude...

I simply don't like when people are coming up wanting to tell me I have to give my source code to them... or maybe I misunderstood xeriouxi's intention?

As Qhimm said, "And as for the code I haven't released, well there's a reason I didn't release it."

I think it's the programmer's decision what to do with his work. Some of my sources are also available for download (e.g. Ultima :D ), and I will release more of them when I think it's the right time for that...

- Alhexx

Cyberman

• View Profile
Program cleanup...
« Reply #9 on: 2003-08-29 19:06:11 »
Quote from: Alhexx
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude...

I simply don't like when people are coming up wanting to tell me I have to give my source code to them... or maybe I misunderstood xeriouxi's intention?

As Qhimm said, "And as for the code I haven't released, well there's a reason I didn't release it."

I think it's the programmer's decision what to do with his work. Some of my sources are also available for download (e.g. Ultima :D ), and I will release more of them when I think it's the right time for that...

- Alhexx

Yep.. I understand how you feel about releasing source hehehe
The Jenova and Griever editors I made work quite well now at least. Need more clean up and I still have to create a bunch of information for people to produce DLL's like them.

Le Sigh.  There is always something else yet to be done :)

Cyb