Author Topic: STICKY: An up-to-date guide for newbies on playing FF7  (Read 80692 times)

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: STICKY: An up-to-date guide for newbies on playing FF7
« Reply #25 on: 2010-04-14 18:04:28 »
Modding Tools

Modding battle scenes: Hojo and Proud Clod are the only tools that you will need; as far as I know, they allow one to modify every single byte in the battle scenes with relatively easy-to-use GUIs. Both programs work with both the PSX and PC versions of the game.

Obsolete modding tools

Scene Reader, Scenester and SceneEdit have been made obsolete by Hojo and Proud Clod.

Probably not necessary to mention it, but SceneReader isn't 100% obsoleted yet. There are still 512 bytes per scene that aren't editable in the current version. The next version of PrC will indeed make SceneReader obsolete, which will even have the feature of splitting and loading individual (or all) scene files.
Another point is that PrC and WM can't be run outside of Windows. They require the .NET 3.5 framework

i just want to point out you actually can run WM on Ubuntu with wine (not perfect but it runs) here is a video if you want.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm9VmQkvgSs
(i also had to use framework 2.0 rather then 3.5 which could be the reason for the error msg you see in that video)

:o  Wow!! O_O!  I had no idea! I see that SuspendLayout and ResumeLayout seem to mean nothing to WINE. :) I'm assuming that's why it takes so long for all those controls to display. Also, that error was a value overload error. It's trying to convert a value over 2^32 into a 32 bit int. That's strange. The 2.0 framework might account for that, I'm not sure. Maybe both of those problems are just a WINE thing. ;)

Just tested ProudClod (still using .NET 2.0) as well and that also works (slow like WM but still works). The only problems with ProudClod is if you use the "dump data" feature which just gives a error, And another error happens if you click on "Yes" to open the "kernel.bin" then click cancel you get an error,
anyway all this is shown in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVuE_H7iUg4

EDIT- also it is said that .NET3.0 can be used on wine but everytime i try i fail, 2.0 and 1.0 are the only ones that work for me (also i do mean 2.0 and NOT 2.0sp2 since sp2 gives errors) but if anyone does have .NET 3.0 working on wine please let me know.

EDIT2- I also wonder if its because i am using the original 2.0 and NOT Sp2 that makes it run slow or maybe the reason for the error. Or maybe its just like you say and its wine.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-14 18:19:07 by kranmer »

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #26 on: 2010-04-15 12:20:06 »
kranmer, try using winetricks to install .net 3.0
http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

idk if i ever tried .net3.0 i generally try to avoid these sorts of things :)

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-04-15 16:55:25 »
kranmer, try using winetricks to install .net 3.0
http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

idk if i ever tried .net3.0 i generally try to avoid these sorts of things :)

Thanks for the advice but i was already trying winetricks but it kept failing, but i did discover another program i had installed with wine had screwed with the setup so i made a fresh install of ubuntu and installed the latest wine then installed winetricks then
dotnet11 successfully
dotnet20 successfully
dotnet20sp2 unsuccessfully
dotnet30 successfully
and even with .net 3.0 installed i got the same errors (maybe because the program needs 3.5 ?)

i also tried the newest version of Kimera (0.95b i think) and actually got it to run on but it crashes as soon as i try to load a model but i am still trying to get it work with different settings.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #28 on: 2010-04-15 19:19:59 »
.net 3.5 is not working yet... im sure soon enuff it will

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-04-16 18:39:21 »
Should add Team Avalanche's overhaul to the suggested mods. Might as well make use of the highrez driver with highrez menus etc!

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-04-18 02:57:31 »
And here is a tutorial for making the phoenix rejuvenation patch work properly ;D http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9685.0

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-04-24 17:14:47 »
Hey Kudistos, I know you're lurking, can you add into the main thread that the latest version of Aali's driver closes when you're missing non-essential files like the ff7input.cfg file or any save files, then link to that savegame compilation and the laptop keyboard patch?

Thanks.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-04-25 18:23:43 »
What? Me? Lurking? Never! ;D

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-04-25 23:56:20 »
would just like to say both Libre 0.3 and Kimera0.95 work with WINE now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjymmGvG4B8
Also NFITC1 i installed ubuntu on my better PC and wallmarket did run faster then that video showed (still slower then windows but faster then before), and also discovered that wallmarket will run on windows with .NET2.0 but it will encounter a error when clicking on the same screen we get the error on with wine (different error though, but the error is due to 3.5 not being installed)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-06-06 17:57:10 »
You may also want to add a quick how-to when it comes to having the game read movies off of the hard drive instead of the CD.  And to also let them know in using Aali's driver, there is no need to install the Truemotion codec.  Though it may let you watch the movies outside of the game, I'm not sure.

Here is Aaron's hosting for the English, German, and French 1.02 Patches: English | French | German |
And Titeguy3's 1.03 Spanish patch that doesn't pop up as a virus.

You might also want to go into detail about how Aali's driver incorporates the Chocobo patch, and the frame limit timers for the newcomers with these problems that also happen to read the FAQ first

Also, any objections to me removing the pointless banter in here?  I'd much rather see a nice clean FAQ filled with good suggestions... not bickering
« Last Edit: 2010-06-06 18:52:36 by obesebear »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-09-25 18:17:08 »
Hope this isn't nercoing since i have something to add.

I made the following reg files for changing the movie path for ff7 to the FF7 directory in a folder called "Movies"

Added to a single Zip folder. in it are one file for 32bit systems, and one for Windows Vista/7 64bit systems.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B40f4UNu6yHhZGFkMWMxNDUtMzlhMS00M2E2LTgwZWUtNjQ2MjBmYzNhM2Rk&hl=en

guywithquestions

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2011-03-17 17:49:56 »
i would also mention to disable texture compression for some windows 7 users if they have a black screen

Gamecollector

« Reply #37 on: 2011-04-06 04:45:48 »
For ATi legacy card owners - Catalyst 7.12-10.2 have severe OGL bugs and errors. So you better stuck with 7.11.
Ogre3d demos are the good tests for this...
« Last Edit: 2011-06-16 15:30:56 by Gamecollector »

ff9wasbest

« Reply #38 on: 2011-07-23 03:19:27 »
any video tuts? i have a mac and want to amp up the look of the game... got my ff7 as a port and now wana learn 'how to' anything that can help out someone who almost literally cant understanad whats being said in this forum o___o

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #39 on: 2011-07-23 13:40:47 »
any video tuts? i have a mac and want to amp up the look of the game... got my ff7 as a port and now wana learn 'how to' anything that can help out someone who almost literally cant understanad whats being said in this forum o___o

looks like someone has some reading todo :P

for mac os your want to use Xquartz instead of apples version of X11 since it tends to work better, then you just have to get a working wine set up and install FF7.

ff9wasbest

« Reply #40 on: 2011-07-23 22:33:03 »
looks like someone has some reading todo :P

for mac os your want to use Xquartz instead of apples version of X11 since it tends to work better, then you just have to get a working wine set up and install FF7.
do i really need wine? i mean im playing ff7 already... no prob an shiz just tryin to make sure im on the same page as everyone about this (any chance i can be directed towards ff8 or 9 :O?! )

MrSinister

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2011-08-02 20:56:13 »

i'm not sure if this is the right thread for it but what's the deal with this? as you may/may not be able to tell this AC field mod and Cloud is barely visible for some reason. And it was also like that in battle

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2011-08-03 04:00:04 »
The AC Cloud mod is contraband.

I suggest using Bloodshot's Cloud field model from Models.7z.

-PitBrat

MrSinister

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2011-08-03 19:40:27 »
The AC Cloud mod is contraband.

I suggest using Bloodshot's Cloud field model from Models.7z.

-PitBrat
the good news is that the Cloud model isn't messed up but now i'm getting other problems:

*Cloud doesn't have the sword on him[don't know how sure i am that i chose it]
*still getting black screen at menu and after a battle

for some reason i haven't had a black screen issue until installing Aali's drivers. Is there any other ones that would mute the midi files w/o the black screen issue. And btw, how come there aren't any other models in the pack?
« Last Edit: 2011-08-03 20:14:37 by MrSinister »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2011-08-03 20:02:42 »
Are you using Aali's lgp tools to work with the lgp files?  Using highwind or other lgp tools can damage the lgp files and cause missing textures.
Also, turn off texture compression in the ff7_opengl.cfg:
    compress_textures = no

And even disable fancy transparency for good measure:
    fancy_transparency = off

After installing Aali's OpenGL driver, did you run config.exe as administrator and change to the custom driver?

-PitBrat

MrSinister

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2011-08-03 20:20:11 »
Are you using Aali's lgp tools to work with the lgp files?  Using highwind or other lgp tools can damage the lgp files and cause missing textures.
Also, turn off texture compression in the ff7_opengl.cfg:
    compress_textures = no

And even disable fancy transparency for good measure:
    fancy_transparency = off

After installing Aali's OpenGL driver, did you run config.exe as administrator and change to the custom driver?

-PitBrat
i was using the ficedula tool because the lgp exe didn't work and the cmd command never works for anything i try to do with it for some reason. i get stuck at steps 14 - 16 on the tutorial because of that. I have the custom driver installed. As far as the driver goes, that seems to be the root of the black screen problem. There's 0 problems with the menu/lvl screen until i install the custom driver
« Last Edit: 2011-08-03 20:29:34 by MrSinister »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2011-08-03 20:33:18 »
There's a good chance that the black texture glitch is a result of using the ficedula tool to compile lgp's.

Aali's lgp tools are essential for the advanced modding of FF7.
If the command line shell doesn't work, you could try using the PowerShell.
That's even more of an hassle though.

-PitBrat

MrSinister

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2011-08-03 21:07:16 »
There's a good chance that the black texture glitch is a result of using the ficedula tool to compile lgp's.

Aali's lgp tools are essential for the advanced modding of FF7.
If the command line shell doesn't work, you could try using the PowerShell.
That's even more of an hassle though.

-PitBrat
having problems with taking the sccreenshot[probably also from the driver being installed]. Anyway the Cloud mod is just missing the sword, not that i can't see it clearly. Sorry for the confusion. The bigger problem though is getting a black screen problem after i install Aali's driver
« Last Edit: 2011-08-04 21:22:12 by MrSinister »

Holyone

« Reply #48 on: 2011-08-12 21:34:03 »
Hi guys

Game was working perfectly, shut it down.. started it again.. about 3 times.

Then it stopped working, tried re-installing.
now it starts with a white overlay and gives this
ERROR: could not open file C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\ff7input.cfg
Looked in the folder that file isn't in there.. tried re-installing a couple times.

Any Ideas?

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2011-08-13 06:02:49 »
Add these lines to 'ff7_opengl.cfg' to fix the white screen and stop ERROR messages:
    use_shaders = no
    disable_popup = on

When the game is running, configure the input device in the menu.
That will create the missing 'ff7input.cfg'.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-13 06:05:00 by PitBrat »