Author Topic: FFXI benchmark program  (Read 32383 times)

atzn

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« on: 2002-11-02 20:10:12 »
Nayoung sent me this link, thought u guys might wanna test this out...

http://www.playonline.com/Download/FFXiBench.zip

I got a score of 2072 ..... pretty crap.

The graphics in the Benchmark don't look too good either... I wonder if there's any way to crank it up.. or probably it's set like that.

I'm not gonna get FFXI anyway.. but I thought u guys might just wanna test it out.

Lord Kane

• View Profile
    • http://lordkane.co.uk
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #1 on: 2002-11-02 20:15:15 »
Aye, I got a score of a little over 3500 IIRC.
I felt it looked very blurred, which says to me that they are trying to implement a kinda soft-FSAA, which will probs be disableable (quite a mouthfull there)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #2 on: 2002-11-02 20:24:37 »
and the linux version is where? ;_;

Actully, FFXI will probably not be in my inventory of Square games. I never really got into MMORPGs myself. I'll just call FFX-2 "FFXI"  (it's not really X-2 but X+1 anyway)

J*** H*******

FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #3 on: 2002-11-02 22:27:05 »
Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #4 on: 2002-11-02 22:42:20 »
I downloaded and ran it - I have 512 megs of RAM with the page file disabled, and after it had been running for a couple minutes, it complained about being out of memory and shut off :P

I was only using 208 megs of RAM before I ran it to... memory hog?

Not to mention that the FSAA it uses looks pretty bad and is probably causing a considerable framerate drop...

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #5 on: 2002-11-02 22:42:27 »
You whining bastards. I got a score of 1835, but you don't hear me complaining about it, do you? No. So there. :-?

atzn

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #6 on: 2002-11-02 23:15:09 »
yeah I realised that it is poorly optimized.. gee.. don't tell me that they are going to run the final game on 640X480 resolution...

And I also heard that Square is working with nVidia to optimize the graphics... now what happened.  :evil:

Goku7

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #7 on: 2002-11-03 00:47:18 »
Grrr!

Ok, first I download the program with the intention of seeing how well my V3 would run it, and to show up any nVidiots here (:P), and what happens when I launch it?

Screen turns black, then dumps me to the desktop.

*scratches head*

What API is the benchmark using?  DX8.1?  Or did nVidia pull another one of their secret "screw 3Dfx users" subroutines in this game?

Lord Kane

• View Profile
    • http://lordkane.co.uk
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #8 on: 2002-11-03 01:08:21 »
Quite simple: It needs H/W T&L to run.

Goku7

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #9 on: 2002-11-03 02:17:54 »
Alright.

Thank God for Geometry Assist, then. ;)

I've had it disabled for awhile, so that could be it.

However, by the same token, this also means kyro users are screwed as well, unless they try running it with "3DAnalyse" program.

Smurgen

• View Profile
    • Http://smurgen.kj-soft.com
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #10 on: 2002-11-03 02:56:13 »
you guys ever see the Warcraft 3 Benchmark program? That looked like utter crap! And the game turned out well. don't judge a game by a small benchmarking program

Goku7

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #11 on: 2002-11-03 03:04:34 »
You've got a good point, smurgen.

Anyway, me gots a status update:

Geometry Assist failed to fool the benchmark program.  Considering G. Assist is part of the 3Dfx driver code, and that nVidia has that code, and nVidia is involved with Square in the gfx code behind the game, I wouldn't be surprised if nVidia added some code that allows the benchmark to detect the fact that G. Assist is trying to lie to the program.

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #12 on: 2002-11-03 03:06:02 »
i got 4141....
jari: why is yours so high?

Darkness

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #13 on: 2002-11-03 03:20:41 »
restarted and got 5033 :)

Nori

• View Profile
unnng
« Reply #14 on: 2002-11-03 03:51:39 »
Kunnnaejundaaa wuwaaa *blink blink* o.O
unnng you have to have G4 or better 3D-card

"5487"
Under G3, 512MB DDR, 2.2GHz...,
but I couldn't test under SiS 650_740 (Y_Y)

i got 4141....

"GF4 Ti4400" really stop whining -_-;

FFXI is based on DX8.1 or higher...
also game is based on nVidia (I will re-read the homepage again)!!!
But I hope US Squaresoft will release US version of FFXI U.U

Smurgen

• View Profile
    • Http://smurgen.kj-soft.com
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #15 on: 2002-11-03 04:58:33 »
I think Square is going to release it in English, it would be really dumb of them not to

Goku7

• View Profile
Re: unnng
« Reply #16 on: 2002-11-03 05:03:41 »
Quote from: nayoung

Uh, if that was addressed to me,  I don't speak/understand/read Japanese (if that was what the first part of that sentence was), so I'm lost on the meaning of that.

A G4?  Since when did Square go to the Macintosh side?! :erm:

Geforce4 my foot!  You do know that I'm the resident 3Dfx fanboy here, NaYoung?  If not, I won't hold it against you if you didn't know that, since its kinda a running gag of sorts around here that started before your time.  :roll:

However, I usually find it annoying when people immediately reccomend getting something of the nVidia species when something doesn't work with my vid card, because its kinda unfair in that the only thing holding back my card is a little discrepency in my drivers that say something like:

Code: [Select]
IsDX8.1Compliant=False

So, I'll try runnin' it with 3DAnalyze, as it is reputed to handle D3D8.1 calls better than G. Assist can when it deals with stuff that requires HW TnL capability to function.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of 3Dfx (no thanks to me ;)), I'm happy to announce that that V3 3000 AGP that came with the system that was supposedly fried by a power surge is undamaged and fully functional.  So, YAY for me!! :P

Nori

• View Profile
duhhh
« Reply #17 on: 2002-11-03 05:32:05 »
nayoung wrote:

Uh, if that was addressed to me, I don't speak/understand/read Japanese (if that was what the first part of that sentence was), so I'm lost on the meaning of that.

PS: Not Japanese... Korean ;)
WOW cool *blink blink* o.O
Yup you have to have G4 or better 3D-card

Hey says who *tsk tsk* I really like 3Dfx as well =__=
*I really like V5 5500 AGP with Windows 98...*
Cool thing about 3Dfx is that you don't have to
update card-driver very often!!!!

J*** H*******

FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #18 on: 2002-11-03 07:55:39 »
Synergy Blades

FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #19 on: 2002-11-03 11:52:37 »
I couldn't get it to download. First time it took about a minute before some error table or the other appeared (from their side) and the second time some scrambled text appeared in IE.  :-?

Darkness

• View Profile
Re: unnng
« Reply #20 on: 2002-11-03 13:48:26 »
Quote from: nayoung

"5487"
Under G3, 512MB DDR, 2.2GHz...,
but I couldn't test under SiS 650_740 (Y_Y)

i got 4141....

"GF4 Ti4400" really stop whining -_-;

FFXI is based on DX8.1 or higher...
also game is based on nVidia (I will re-read the homepage again)!!!
But I hope US Squaresoft will release US version of FFXI U.U

eh. i have a 4600 :)

J*** H*******

FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #21 on: 2002-11-03 14:08:06 »
Goku7

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #22 on: 2002-11-03 15:39:01 »
Quote from: Jari Huttunen

*chuckles* Why bother? There's no threat whatsoever from 3Dfx these days.

Are you familiar with Occam's Razor? In other words; did you consider that it might not work just because your Voodoo 3 is old piece of junk? Which will fail if the program demands something as simple as 32 bit color depth with 3D acceleration. But hey, if you think that the only problem with your card is the lack of DX8.1 support in the drivers, good for you.

That "piece of junk" still has some perfectly good hardware acceleration equipment on it.  Physically, the hardware can handle the games (at least in my case, with my P4 1.5 Ghz backing it up), its only the drivers that's preventing it from running those games.  I don't mind the fact that it can't do 32bit color, although i wouldn't mind having that capability in the first place.

Though it is true that 3Dfx doesn't really threaten the market, it still seems as though nVidia is either afraid of letting these cards have full support, or they really do think that 3Dfx constitues a threat to them.

Why?  They seem adamant about keeping the 3Dfx driver code away from us.  Yes, I can see if they need SOME code for the 3Dfx tech that they may or may not be using in the nv30, but most of that tech is coming from the Rampage architecture (which probably would have used a totally different driver set/code than the V3 or VSA-100 cards), and so therefore the Voodoo driver code really isn't mission critical for them, which makes it seem silly to not open-source it, so those of us who *like* our cards and don't have money to buy a new one can at least squeeze a few more games' worth of playability out of it.

Unless, of course, it really IS their intent to completely erase 3Dfx from the planet......

atzn

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #23 on: 2002-11-03 16:01:59 »
Quote from: Goku7

That "piece of junk" still has some perfectly good hardware acceleration equipment on it.  Physically, the hardware can handle the games (at least in my case, with my P4 1.5 Ghz backing it up), its only the drivers that's preventing it from running those games.  I don't mind the fact that it can't do 32bit color, although i wouldn't mind having that capability in the first place.

Even so, I personally feel that the Voodoo3 series are aging... that's what I think at least.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #24 on: 2002-11-03 16:25:17 »

That "piece of junk" still has some perfectly good hardware acceleration equipment on it. Physically, the hardware can handle the games (at least in my case, with my P4 1.5 Ghz backing it up), its only the drivers that's preventing it from running those games. I don't mind the fact that it can't do 32bit color, although i wouldn't mind having that capability in the first place.

Unless, of course, the games actually NEED

-32-bit colour
-Textures larger than 256x256 (technically known as 'postage stamp' size in the industry...
-More than 2 texturing units
-More than 2 projection matrices (this is *really* silly, it costs nothing in terms of memory to support more matrices, the card just wasn't built to do it; even old Rage cards had 10 matrices...)
-Texture combining (needed to really make USE of more than one texture)

in which case the hardware CAN'T physically handle the games.

I should mention that I haven't picked out any features there which are 'new' and have only been around for a few years. My old Savage 4 - which, I might add, was around at the same time as the V3; had nearly the same performance; and cost far less - does most of those and *more*, such as texture compression. And yes, it was also compatible with old games such as FF7. So the V3 really isn't a good card in any sense of the word...