Author Topic: FF8 Installation problem (Win7 64-bit)  (Read 17665 times)

Winter

FF8 Installation problem (Win7 64-bit)
« on: 2010-07-24 10:39:14 »
Hey there guys,

I look for you help, because I experience serious problems after installing FF8 on my laptop.
Here's the situation:

I've made my FF8 discs ISO images and put them on my external HDD. I've mounted them with CloneDrive, I use ISOs, because it's easier for me to take the HDD anywhere I want to.
I've mounted the FF8 installation disc for with W letter drive. Started installation, everything went well... at least I think so (never had a problem previously :)).

I run FF8 executable, see intro movies and choose Start Game and... it asks me for putting Disc 1 into the drive. I must add that I've already switched the ISO file to Disc 1.

Below is what I've tried to do already:
- I'm using 64-bit edition of Windows 7, I saw that Windows makes wrong registry entries, not in Software, but WoW64. That's why I've made another (same!) entry in the Software tree and ofcourse changed Default Destination from C: to W:
Not worked
- I've tried to install the game under Windows XP SP3 compability mode, no success also.
- Tried to install the game in safe mode, no success also.

1.2 patch installed, so don't bother about it :)

Any ideas what to do? I doubt that installing the game right from CD would help or I'm mistaken?

Thanks in advance.

Miseru

• "Help! One of my main characters is black!" - xD
    • View Profile
Re: FF8 Installation problem (Win7 64-bit)
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-24 11:47:40 »
 Not sure if that's the case with FFVIII, but many old games tend to love being run from the first CD drive. Letter W is quite far so I'm guessing you most likely have other drive with lower letter. Try changing letter of your CD/DVD drives so virtual drive you're using to mount FFVIII is first. Remember to change it also in registry if you change letter of that virtual drive. If that doesn't help, delete iso and made new backup with some more advanced format/drive emulator. Well I admit I never used CloneDrive so dunno what it is able to emulate, but ISO's AFAIK can't store most of CD/DVD protections. If it's a copy protection failure, you can only remake your backup copy or use better drive emulator.

Edit: nothing important
« Last Edit: 2010-07-24 12:02:09 by Miseru »

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-24 12:05:56 »
Are you sure your install disc is not destroyed or damaged? If you made the isos make sure all the files are there. :)

Winter

« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-24 14:22:07 »
Well, actually I've already used CloneDrive hundred of times and never noticed any problems. Will try to install from default D: drive (BluRay reader).
The ISO I've made was used many times, during my Windows 7 period and also with Windows XP. That's why I'm suprised why it's not working now. I wanted to play the game once more, but now with the new OpenGL driver.

Regards

Miseru

• "Help! One of my main characters is black!" - xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-24 14:51:19 »
 Aw so your BluRay is D: and virtual drive W:, you don't need to install/run game from that BluRay drive, try just changing it's letter to higher and then set virtual drive at lower letter as the lowest letter optical drive = first optical drive - is from what FF8 should run which isn't in your case and that's seem to be the problem.
 Even made a quick search on the google to confirm that as the original readme on FF8 install CD didn't said a thing about that "problem"(hence it was released in times most ppl had 1 drive at most>.>) and I didn't remembered if I ever had problems with it:P, and yeah game CD must be in your FIRST(optical) DRIVE nevermind real or virtual. Must be set as first(and have correct registry ofc) for game to see it. If you can't change letter of real optical drive(don't really have win7 64 - so not sure), just disable it, set virtual drive on first possible letter, enable it again and it'll be set after that virtual one, giving you possibility to run the game from it. Anyway you seem to be intelligent enough to do that without step by step instruction:O.

Winter

« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-24 16:22:21 »
The problem is solved.

You wanna know what was the problem? As I said, I'm using 64-bit Windows 7. During the installation of it I created an administrator account... even the MMC console was saying definitely - mate you're in the Administrators groups. Nevertheless, I enabled 'Administrator' account via MMC console and installed the game through that account and it went well. The problem lied in privileges, kinda funny (probably a bug?), but even as an administrator I couldn't delete any folder in the Program Files - that made me think something was wrong.

Now it works fine :-)

Thanks for your replies!

bestfaith25

« Reply #6 on: 2010-09-18 04:59:01 »
The problem is solved.

You wanna know what was the problem? As I said, I'm using 64-bit Windows 7. During the installation of it I created an administrator account... even the MMC console was saying definitely - mate you're in the Administrators groups. Nevertheless, I enabled 'Administrator' account via MMC console and installed the game through that account and it went well. The problem lied in privileges, kinda funny (probably a bug?), but even as an administrator I couldn't delete any folder in the Program Files - that made me think something was wrong.

Now it works fine :-)

Thanks for your replies!

Winter, same prob here. do u mind explain it to me how u can get it to work? i just bought a new laptop with a windows 7 64bit running on it. this is my first time using other OS other than xp so i don't really understand the MMC console u talk about. please help  :-D

bestfaith25

« Reply #7 on: 2010-09-18 06:51:17 »
Sorry for double posting. I can get it to work somehow but new problem aroused. i want to upload a picture but i don't know how, so here goes

1). i played it on 1366 x 768 resolution using ati hd 5470 card, but the visual won't filled the whole screen. it only use 1\4 of the screen. the rest are blank.

2). what is expert mode on ff8 launcher v1.31? I check it but nothing happen.

3). On ff8config, do u people use direct 3d hardware as a renderer instead of software renderer?

4). Do u check the "no field bilinear filtering"?

thanks  :-(
« Last Edit: 2010-09-18 07:00:58 by bestfaith25 »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-09-18 11:12:31 »
Sorry for double posting. I can get it to work somehow but new problem aroused. i want to upload a picture but i don't know how, so here goes

1). i played it on 1366 x 768 resolution using ati hd 5470 card, but the visual won't filled the whole screen. it only use 1\4 of the screen. the rest are blank.

2). what is expert mode on ff8 launcher v1.31? I check it but nothing happen.

3). On ff8config, do u people use direct 3d hardware as a renderer instead of software renderer?

4). Do u check the "no field bilinear filtering"?

thanks  :-(
Why does everyone think this is ok now?  "I know it's against the rules, but I'M SPECIAL"

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-09-18 13:08:37 »
I guess if people apologize first they think it is ok.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-09-18 18:09:49 »
Here's what I noticed, I ignored 1 or 2 double posts... you know, just let them slide.  A few days later everyone is doing it.  WTF?

Also, why the surge of "newbies" lately?

/offtopic

Dimon

« Reply #11 on: 2010-09-19 07:20:49 »
Perhaps there is nostalgia in people wanting to play older games. Ive been like that since 2000, looking at the roots of my games. Anyways, i noticed alot of games on windows 7 have to be set to administrative. For example, i just installed Divinity II: EGO DRACONIS on my windows 7 system. At first it did not work. I changed the "play as admin" tab in compatibility. Boom! It works now. Seems like windows 7 is picky about accounts found in it's own computer and what priviliges it gives to people, even if you own the pc yourself!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-09-20 11:26:46 »
Here's what I noticed, I ignored 1 or 2 double posts... you know, just let them slide.  A few days later everyone is doing it.  WTF?

Also, why the surge of "newbies" lately?

/offtopic

What's the deal with so many accounts being left for ages even when they haven't posted?  Thinking of pruning? 

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-09-20 16:55:00 »

What's the deal with so many accounts being left for ages even when they haven't posted?  Thinking of pruning? 
I don't have permissions enough to do that